30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Unopened Box Bepop

Unopened boxes.  I'm sure after publishing this post, I'll receive a few comments from readers not understanding why I have accumulated so many unopened boxes over the years.  Everyone knows that boxes and packs are meant to be opened, right?

Well... that might be the popular vote.  But I enjoy collecting unopened boxes.  And I'm not aloneRyan (aka SumoMenkoMan) does too.

A few weeks ago, we were exchanging texts and he mentioned he had over 100 unopened boxes ranging from the 1950's to the present.  My mind was blown.  I suggested that he write a Top 10 post and by the end of our conversation, I had agreed to write one myself.


My unopened box collection is much, much smaller than his.  But I have set aside some boxes over the years for that rainy day when I'm retired and bored

There wasn't a specific formula to creating this list.  It's pretty much ranked by how much I want to keep them... which could be based on nostalgic value, monetary value, card design, or all of the above.  In fact... if I rewrote this post next month or next year, I guarantee it'd be different.

Before we get to my favorites, let's start off with some boxes that didn't quite make the list this time around...

1994-95 Skybox Emotion Basketball
1995-96 Skybox Emotion Hockey

1991 The Rap Pack
1993 Flair Baseball
1981 Topps Real Movie Giant Pin-Up

1978 Donruss Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band
1983 Topps Foldouts

1990 Swell Baseball Greats
1984 Topps Baseball Photo Rub-Downs
1981 Fleer Baseball Star Stickers

Okay... now for a few honorary mentions...


Honorary Mention #12005 Yu-Gi-Oh! Elemental Energy


I'm not a Yu-Gi-Oh! guy, but I'm pretty sure this box is worth something1st Edition boxes sell for hundreds.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any completed or active listings for an unlimited box.


Honorary Mention #21992 Upper Deck Minor League


This box offers you an opportunity to pull one of Derek Jeter's first licensed cards and due to overproduction, they're very affordable.


Honorary Mention #31997 Skybox EX-2000 Football


Right before I decided to dump my collection, I purchased three hobby boxes at a card shop that was closing their doors.  I don't remember what I paid, but they were cheap and the three best boxes I could get my hands on.  This was one of them.  The other two made the Top 10.  Unfortunately, the rookies on this checklist didn't pan out, which is why it's only an honorary mention.

So without further ado, here are my Top 10 favorite boxes sitting and gathering dust in my collection...


#10 - 1995 Select Certified Baseball


This was one of my favorite product lines back in the 90's... and it all had to do with the shiny mirror gold parallels.  I guess certain mid 90's wax boxes are heating up, because the last two boxes of this stuff that sold on eBay fetched over $100.  I figured this was a $20 to $30 box these days.


#9 - 1992 Skybox Marvel Masterpieces I


If you're a Marvel comic book fan, then there's a good chance you'd appreciate this box.  The artwork on these cards is amazing and well worth the $15 I paid for this box.


#8 - 1993 Bowman Baseball


This is the 2nd box in the three box purchase (mentioned above).  I've thought about busting this box open a few times in hopes of pulling a Jeter rookie, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Part of me is worried the cards will be stuck together or something.  I also have three unopened boxes of 1993 Score that possibly contain Jeters, but I find this box more appealing.


#7 - 1996 Topps Finest Star Wars


Finest was sitting on top of the world back in the mid 90's.  When you combine that fact with the fact that Star Wars was a huge piece of my childhood... then that explains why this box is so high on this list.


#6 - 1982 Topps Baseball


I picked up this box at a Southern California card show back in 2013 for $48.  That should definitely send up a red flag.  But I took the risk, because the gentleman seemed sincere when he told me this box has been in his collection since the 80's... and overall the packs seem to look okay.  Then again... I'm not an expert.  I guess the only way we'll discover the truth is to bust this box open.  Crossing my fingers that there's a Ripken rookie card inside.


#5 - 1998-99 Topps Chrome Basketball


This was the key box in the three box purchase mentioned earlier.  While the 1997 EX-2000 football rookie card class is practically worthless... there are several key rookie cards (Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, and Dirk Nowitzki) in this product.  I was blown away when I saw how much this box closes for on eBayAny guesses?  If you're interested, click here.  But that's not the only reason this box is ranked so high on this list.  1998-99 was the peak of my basketball card collecting interest.  I barely touched baseball, football, or hockey cards that year.


#4 - 1978 Topps Three's Company

Three's Company is one of my favorite shows from my childhood and probably the only box in this post that I would take a loss on if I chose to sell it.  I purchased this box in the late 90's for a lot of money.  If I had to guess, I'd say $100.  I was surprised that they only sell in the $50 range.  I'm not sure if I'll ever open this up.  I'll probably just go out and buy a complete set on eBay.


#3 - 2001 Upper Deck Decade 1970's Baseball


This is one of my favorite products from the 2000's.  Over the years I've bought four boxes of this stuff paying as low as $18 and as high as $34.  I opened two and built myself a set with some outside help... and kept two boxes sealed.


#2 - 1983 Fleer Baseball Cello


When I returned to the hobby a little over a decade ago, I went on a mission to build two sets from my childhood1981 Fleer and 1983 Fleer baseball.  The goal was to build them the old fashion way... by busting packs.  I bought four boxes of 1981 Fleer, two boxes of 1983 Fleer, and two cello boxes of 1983 Fleer and eventually built a 1981 hand collated set.  I kept the four 1983 Fleer boxes intact.  I'm crossing my fingers that I'll pull at least a few Tony Gwynn rookie cards from these boxes.


#1 - 2000 Upper Deck Ovation Japan Baseball


Out of all of the boxes, this is currently my favorite.  I've always wanted to pull a Japanese Ichiro card out of a pack and there should be at least one sitting inside of this box.  There are also other notable MLB players like Daisuke Matsuzaka, Kenji Johjima, and Hideki Matsui waiting to be pulled.

Okay... that's enough writing from me...

Do you have any unopened boxes you're saving to open up on a rainy day?  If so, do you have a favorite?

I'd like to thank Ryan for motivating me to write this post.  We agreed to publish our posts simultaneously, so if you're interested in checking out his impressive collection, click here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.  Happy Saturday and sayonara!

23 comments:

Dennis said...

Great collection, Fuji! I can't imagine leaving a box unopened for more than a day at most, much less having a bunch of them. I'm gonna head over and check out SMM's post too.

night owl said...

Do I have any unopened boxes?

I need a stronger word than "no".

acrackedbat said...

Oh man, Fuji! You have me quite envious! Just not a pretty emotion to be feeling. 93 Flair = one of my fave sets, likely bricked in the box. I have 94 Flair Series 1&2 unopened. SWELL! That's just wrong! I can't find these unopened at an affordable price anywhere. UD Decade!! I have a complete set but would love to bust a box. For reasons of youth, I'm quite drawn to the Pepper's box. Hurry up n retire, will ya? I wanna see these opened!

Jupiterhill said...

That first photo would look great for a page header. Maybe if you ever started a second blog if you ever opened then, that would be good for it.

Personally, I don't think I could ever keep an entire box unopened. I have trouble not opening packs. Nice list.

sg488 said...

I had a bunch from the 80s/90s boxes,but about 10 years ago I felt it was time to sell,so I sold them all on e-bay.1981 Topps Football was the best seller.

CrazieJoe said...

I won't say I have any plans to keep ot this way, but when I buy boxes, it can take a year to get to them. They will get opened, but I do try and enjoy the antici....





...pation.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I probably have some unopened boxes hiding in my house, that is of baseball cards. I def. have nudey cards unopened. Lots of them. Back a few years ago I picked up that 8 million card buy out, and there were tons of unopened boxes. (Keep in my mind I let my dealer buddy have the whole thing for what I paid, after I grabbed a ton for myself).I ripped anything that I though I was building, but I'm sure theres a few laying around somewhere.

SumoMenkoMan said...

The 1996 Star Wars and 2000 Ovation are pretty awesome. Great boxes! The Rap Pack box might have been up there for me. Thanks for a great suggestion on the post!

Nachos Grande said...

I have a few unopened boxes stashed away as well but nothing like what you have. It's nice to have that "rainy day" stash.

Corky said...

The 2000 Ovation Japanese box had some really cool, and expensive, Griffey relics. I picked up the Griffey shoe relic about 15 years ago. There are also dual relics in the set too.

shoeboxlegends said...

Great post Fuji. I have a few, but I don't keep them as unopened boxes. Instead I open them and pop out and fold back the portion of the top lid like a dealer would do at a card shop. I lay them out inside a couple shelves on the bookshelf in my office and it's like having my own private card shop. Every so often I'll grab a pack or two of something to rip on a rainy day.

The Lost Collector said...

This is cool! I don't have the willpower. I have an opened box of 1987 and 1988 Topps because I'm going to use those wrappers for bookmarks, so it's nothing more than that.

Baltmoss68 said...

Nice collection! I have just a few unopened boxes but I keep an eye out for bargains. My best is 93 Pinnacle series 2., maybe a Jeter or 2 if not bricked! I love your 81 Fleer Star Stickers! Also I think I have a spare Threes Company set. One of my all time favorite shows

gcrl said...

I think the longest I've had an unopened box in my possession is a day or two.

Brett Alan said...

I've got two blasters which I bought on Black Friday from Target: 2019 Chrome and Archives. I was thinking I'd start in on one tonight during God Friended Me.

I just keep looking at that Rap Pack box and wondering how in the world Grand Daddy IU was selected for the box over big names such as Kurtis Blow, UTFO, Naughty By Nature, 2 Live Crew, and so on.

Jason Presley said...

I've got a stack of unopened boxes, not because I collect them, but mostly because I bought some cheap lots and got tired of busting packs of stuff that I wasn't really collecting, and wouldn't be able to move all that quickly. This was years ago before shipping costs skyrocketed and I was trying to recapture some lost glory of childhood.

I have:
partial boxes of 1986 Fleer Star Stickers, 1988 Topps Big Series 3, 1989 Star Minor League, 1990 Pacific Legends

Full boxes:
1x 1989 ProCards Future Stars (minor league)
2x 1990 Bext Minor League
1x 1990 CMC Pre-Rookie
4x 1990 Star Future Stars AAA (the red ones?)
1x 1991 BBM
2x 1991 Classic Best
1x 1991-92 ProCards Tomorrow's Heroes
1x 1991 LineDrive AA
1x 1991 LineDrive AAA
2x 1993 Lime Rock Dominican Winter Baseball

If I weren't too lazy to list it somewhere for sale, I could probably move exactly one of those quickly and get my money back.

Henry Blanchette said...

I just don't have it in me to buy packs/boxes and hold onto them. I'm far too tempted to rip something as soon as I buy it. I can't even bring myself to sell them online to try and make a profit (i.e. Bowman mega boxes). My personal philosophy is to always rip.

Sean said...

Oh, that 1982 Topps Wax box for 48$ was a steal, even if it is a bit suspicious.

I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation to open it this long though....!

Base Card Hero said...

I am currently sitting on a 1990-91 Pro Set Hockey Series 1 and 2 and 1990-91 Upper Deck hockey. I will open them when I get everything else cleaned up.

As a 10 year old, I completed a master set of Marvel Masterpieces. Sadly, it got donated about 15 years ago. I regret that deeply.

You have a nice stash of boxes.

Matt said...

I have a deep respect for your strong willpower! I don't think I could keep boxes unopened for very long!

gregory said...

Quite a variety of boxes in your collection, Fuji! I get nostalgic just looking at some of those box top designs. Over here, I've got a bunch of unopened wax packs, but not a whole box of anything. However, after reading this post I kind of feel like starting a collection.

GCA said...

No way I could keep something unopened for more than a few days. I only do that when I have to clear space to open & sort.

Love the '81 Fleer Stickers. Those are one of my earliest and fondest pack rip memories. And you can't go wrong with Decades. I built mine from a box bought a couple years after they came out. '83 Fleer is nice too.

Almost every year during the National, I pick out a junk wax set to build. Typically I start with two cheap wax boxes and finish at one of a few dealers with singles. They might last a few weeks, but only because I'm traveling.

Fuji said...

dennis - i'm sure you weren't disappointed by smm's collection of unopened boxes

night owl - lol. i appreciate you not cussing me out

acrackedbat - i'd love to eventually add the 1994 flair series one and two boxes to my collection at some point. i almost bought them a few years ago on blowout, but i'm sure i missed my window. as for retirement... i'm hoping 12 years... but it could be 14 or 15.

jupiterhill - love the idea for using the photo as a header. i might do that one day. as for packs... i have a collection of those as well

sg488 - dang... i'm jealous of the 1981 topps football. that'd be popular out here in montana country

craziejoe - if i ever get around to opening these... i'm sure it'll all take place in a one or two day span. i'm always impressed that you can stick to a pack or two per day

johnnys trading spot - can't wait to see those nudie card posts ;)

sumomenkoman - it was nice collaborating again. your collection is awesome

nachos grande - i'm just waiting for some rain. it's been dry around here the last few months ;)

corky - oh man... i'm crossing my fingers that i pull one of those. gotta imagine they're pretty popular among griffey collectos

shoeboxlegends - that's a great idea. i don't have the willpower to open only one or two packs ever now and then, but if i did... I'd probably do that. at the very least, it'd make a pretty awesome display.

the lost collector - your bookmarks are awesome! i actually have a wax wrapper i need to send your way (one of these days).

baltmoss68 - 1993 pinnacle is a nice box. hope you pull a clean jeter when you decide to bust it. as for the 81 star stickers... the one problem is... this batch of boxes i picked up were very off-centered

gcrl - that's better than some collectors ;)

brett alan - i love 80's rap and i have no clue who grand daddy iu is. i guess i should hit up youtube. have fun with 2019 chrome. that was one of my favorite products last year

jason presley - if you lived in the bay area, i'd probably offer to buy them off of you. i love opening older minor league stuff. it's cool pulling out minor league cards of guys who are in the hall of fame. put them on craigslist or facebook. maybe someone local will buy them

henry blanchette - i can't get myself to sell them either... even though i probably should.

sean - one day i'll open it up and we'll see if it was tampered with or not. maybe i'll pull a centered ripken with 4 sharp corners

base card hero - i'm jealous of your collection of 90-91 pro set and upper deck hockey. both of those sets had solid designs

matt - lol. it started with a few boxes and it just kept piling up. now it's just easier to stack them instead of opening them up ;)

gregory - if you do start a collection, just remember that they take up a lot of space. I think i have four bankers boxes filled and that doesn't include the shelf at the top of the post

gca - my two boxes of decades had terrible collation, but i was finally able to wrap it up with the help of sportlots and possibly a few bloggers. i don't think i opened the 81 fleer star stickers when i was a kid, but i did buy a few packs of the 1986 star stickers. can't wait to see what junk wax set you pick this year.