30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Little Push

When it comes to oddball sets, there are few that rival the Kellogg's sets of the 70's and early 80's.  I've been a fan of them ever since my friends and I started pulling them out of cereal boxes when we were kids.

And out of all of the designs, the 1970 baseball card design is by far my favorite.  But due to my limited hobby budget, it's always been one of those sets that I'd love to own, but never actually attempted to build.  Well... until now.

Thanks to Matt over at Run-Fore!-Kelloggs Baseball Cards, I'm officially living the dream and attempting to build this beautiful, lenticular, oddball set.

Back in January, he emailed me with a list of singles he had from this set.  We sent a few messages back and forth which resulted in him sending me a nice starter set that included 47 commons, minor stars, and even a few hall of famers.

Condition wise, these babies are nice.  Although some have a minor crack or two, none have any major cracking.  See for yourself:









He shipped them before we could determine a price, which made me a little nervous.  But all of those feelings went out the window after he asked me if I thought $2 for each hall of famer and $1 for each non-hall of famer was fair.  

These prices were more than fair.  I ended up sending him $65 to help cover shipping and to express my gratitude.

Sometimes I need a little push to help motivate me to do something.  This was definitely the push I needed.  Before this purchase, I already had these four graded cards sitting in my collection:


That leaves me with only twenty-four left to chase down...


I'm not one of those collectors who will be happy picking up one or two singles over the next ten to twenty years.  My goal is to purchase two or three each month with the hopes of finishing it by the end of 2020.  However there is one thing that I can't control... and that's the market price.  Hopefully I'll be able to find common raw singles without any cracks in the $1 to $2 price range and hall of famers for under $10.

Only time will tell.  At least I have a new and fun project to work on and I owe it all to Matt for the little push in the right direction.

Here is today's question of the day:

Do you currently have a favorite set you're attempting to build?  If so, what is it?

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Nick said...

I'm not much of a set builder, but I imagine it'd be fun to try and complete a Kellogg's set! Don't think I've seen as many '70 Kellogg's in one place before this post.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Wowzers. I just bindered up all of my Kellogg's cards yesterday. Then low & behold a trade buddy sent me another 14 from the 76' set today. Talk about cowinkeedinks.

night owl said...

Building the '56 set right now, and I'd say that's a favorite, and I'll definitely have to pick up one or two singles at a time over the next 10 or 20 years with the cards I have left to get.

I love the Kellogg's sets as you well know, and I'm starting on the '77 and '78 sets. I don't see myself building the '70 set, a little "too old" for me. But I certainly don't turn away cards from it

Base Card Hero said...

That will be a gorgeous set when finished. Good luck.

As for sets I am trying to complete... Everything from 1979 to 1992. The 1991 set has been the toughest since I am attempting to get error cards (glow and non-glow_ backs.

The harder sets are more fun.

Good luck!

jacobmrley said...

Damn, what a gorgeous lineup that is.

Sean said...

Oh wow, those are fantastic! Good luck with tracking down the rest that you need.

I'm a set builder by nature, so almost all the cards I write about on my blog belong to sets I'm working on (whether I have a shot at finishing them or not!)

SumoMenkoMan said...

Very cool. Glad to see such a large dent knocked out of the set. I am set builder as well. Working on my Yamakatsu Bruce Lee and 1973 Calbee sets from Japan.

bbcardz said...

Ooh Mark, I am SO jealous! 1970 Kellogg's was either the 2nd or 3rd set I ever collected. I had only managed to get like eight or ten of them but I still have them. Aren't they gorgeous? Congrats on some outstanding pickups!

Reds Card Collector said...

That's a beautiful set. I love that Rose card. Best of luck finishing that set by the end of the year.

GCA said...

Almost done with '64 Topps. The more I worked on that set the more I like it.

And a couple long term projects like 2012 Gypsy Queen black minis, 1996 Ultra Sensations football (four colors), 1984 USFL, and I'm an error and a Gretzky rookie from 1979-80 Topps hockey. Among dozens of others.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Good luck with this build. I love all the lenticular sets.

PK Steinberg said...

This is a great set building project. They look wonderful.

gregory said...

Only 24 to go? You can do it, Fuji! Over here, I'm almost finished with the 1980-81 Topps hockey set. It's the set with the puck design that you can scratch off. My complete set will have scratched and unscratched cards, but maybe I'll slowly try to replace the scratched ones with unscratched versions. Maybe.

Adam Kaningher said...

Building 88 Donruss, kind of, and I'm sure I always will be.

The Snorting Bull said...

Good luck with building this set, should look great when it's complete. I have given up on sets myself, at least the current ones.

Fuji said...

nick - honestly i'm way more of a team and player pc guy... but i do have a few sets i'm actively working on and this one is by far the most exciting

johnnys trading spot - the 1976 set is possibly my 2nd favorite design. in fact, maybe one day i'll go and rank them

night owl - i'm jealous of your 1956 set build. that's one of those "dream" sets that i'll only ever own if i win the lottery. have fun on the 77 and 78 sets. and thanks for reminding me that i need to hurry up and wrap up the 1978 set myself. i think i only need 5 or 6 more cards

base card hero - your master set projects are fun. always learning new variations and cards that i didn't know existed

jacobmrley - i concur. i love this set

sean - not a week goes by that i'm not jealous of your vintage japanese baseball cards/sets

sumomenkoman - that bruce lee set is so awesome! wait. i thought you were finished with it.

bbcardz - it's the jacklyn smith of 70's baseball card sets. simple, yet gorgeous ;)

reds card collector - lol. it took me only a few days to realize that it's not going to happen. can't seem to find singles in the price range i've established. mr. haverkamp helped me get one step closer though last night

gca - a gretzky rookie card is on my dream list. keep thinking maybe one day. best of luck on those projects. i'm starting to like the 64's more and more myself. i think it has to do with the fact that i like the 1986 topps design more... and they kind of remind me of each other

nick vossbrink - me too. after i finish up the kellogg's, maybe i'll move on to sportflics or 7-11 discs

pk steinberg - thanks. starting to realize it's going to be more challenging that anticipated. but i'm not giving up

gregory - i love that set. i'd love to pick up a bourque rookie at some point. back in the late 80's, i worked at a shop that had packs of that stuff and i opened at least one. best of luck with your set build.

adam kaningher - let me know if you come out to the bay area and i'll give you a tour of the local flea markets. i'm pretty sure we'd find you a complete 88 donruss set for probably the price of a starbucks drink

the snorting bull - although i have a bunch of wantlists for sets i'm building... i don't really go out of my way to build new sets either. it's way cheaper to buy complete sets on ebay