30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Much Needed Distraction

The GTSM Santa Clara Show took place less than two weeks ago... and yet with everything that's taken place since then... it seems like months.  I'm sure if I ever look back on this post, it'll appear as if I'm totally exaggerating... but when you look at how quickly we've gone from following a variety of sporting events to nothing in such a short period of time... it's truly crazy.

On a personal level... I was standing in front of students six days ago.  Then I was told we'll be suspending classroom instruction for three weeks.  On Monday, a shelter-in-place order was given to several Bay Area counties.  And the latest news out of Sacramento is there's a chance I won't have students back in my classroom until next fall.  If that isn't crazy... I'm not sure what is.

My mind has been racing and I've had a few moments where I've felt very anxious.  This whole shelter-in-place thing has started to give me cabin fever.  And outside of a couple of trips to my office and my daily visits to your card blogs, I haven't spent much time with my cards.  But that's going to change today, because I seriously need a distraction.

I'll start things off by finally sharing my card show haul from the aforementioned GTSM Show.

First up are a pair of Dave Dravecky autographs that were signed back on January 26th at the Serramonte Mall Sports Cards, Toys, and Collectibles Show.   I went to the show on the 25th, but didn't attend the 26th which was the day Dravecky was there.  Thankfully my buddy Mike was willing to get these two cards signed for me:

1983 Topps #384
1987 Topps #470

I hadn't seen Mike since the Serramonte Show, but he was nice enough to bring them to the GTSM Show, so I could add them to my Padres collection.

I ran into Mr. Haverkamp (famous card blog supporter) at the show and he informed me that Dravecky has stacked his signature ever since his surgery.  So if you ever see a signature out there where Dave is next to his last name, then you know it was signed with his left hand.


It was fun hanging out with him and talking cards.  We were talking about meeting up at a future card show either in Oakland or Sacramento, but that doesn't seem very likely anymore.  We also discussed playing nine holes as well, but that'll have to be postponed too.

He didn't come empty-handed.  He never does.  There was a nice stack of 1970 Kellogg's for my set build waiting for me when I walked up to his friend's table.  Due to the standards I've established for this set, I passed on all of them except for this Frank Robinson:

1970 Kellogg's #15

The card looked pretty clean in my hands at the show.  However after getting a closer look at my scans, I noticed a few more cracks.  This card resides in the set for now, but I will be looking for an upgrade at some point.

Okay... let's finally take a look at my card show purchases.


Purchase #1Dollar Bin  $20


Nothing too exciting here.  Honestly... in regards to bargains, I didn't find much at this show.  Dollar autographs, relics, and rookie cards are cool... but there weren't any hidden gems that I've grown accustomed to over the years.

My favorite card in the lot was this Rickey Henderson:

1995 Collector's Choice Gold Signature #125

Upper Deck inserted one of these into every thirty-five packs, so collectors usually only pulled one of these per box.

The other card that caught my eye was this Mark McGwire:

1998 Pacific Home Run History #HRC1

I had never seen this card before and after doing some research... it makes sense.  It was part of a set available on QVC back on September 28, 1998 (the day after McGwire hit #70) during a 24 hour window.  That kinda makes it sound like this card could be rare, but it isn't.  According to Beckett, Pacific printed 142,500 sets.

The third card I'll spotlight is a mystery to me...

1992 Rookie Phenoms

It looks like one of those cheap "printed in some dude's garage" cards... but the quality is pretty good.  Heck... this might have actually been printed back in 1992.  Unfortunately it wasn't produced by a legit company, so it falls into the category of being a Broder-like card.  I realize this card is worthless to most collectors... but to me on the day of the show, it was worth a buck.

Moving along...


Purchase #2The Big Ticket Items $10

2001 Upper Deck e-Cards #E-DB

I picked up these two cards from another friend of mine who was set up at the show.  I dug through a shoebox of his and pulled out this Drew Brees rookie card and this really cool looking Jerry Rice patch card:

2013 UD Ultimate Collection Ultimate Patch #UJ-JR

It's not often I see Jerry Rice cards where he's not reppin' the Niners or Raiders.  So I was immediately drawn to this card.

I was pleasantly surprised that Ben only wanted $10 for the pair.  Then I scanned the card at home and had the chance to read the back:


Jerry might have worn this Mississippi Valley State jersey, but it wasn't in an NCAA game.  I'm starting to see the light in regards to these memorabilia cards.


Purchase #3Five for a Buck  $2


I don't remember seeing any dime boxes at the show, but I ran into another familiar vendor who had a box of rookies and refractors priced at 25¢ each or 5/$1.  It had been picked through, but I did find another Laureano rookie card for my collection.

Speaking of Laureano... I had gone to this show with hopes of adding a few new autographs to the collection, but was blown away by the prices dealers were askingThat night I came home and headed over to COMC where I picked up three for a fraction of the price the GTSM Show dealers were asking.  Stay tuned for those.  I'll be requesting shipment as soon as I spend the final $4.70 in my account.

Well that wraps up the latest card show haul... and likely the last card show I'll be attending in the foreseeable future.

Here is today's question of the day.  I binge watched Das Boot and Hanna.  


Do you have any binge-worthy television show recommendations to keep me distracted?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

20 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

"24" "The Black List" just popped into my head.

sg488 said...

American Horror Story ,Season 4.

The Lost Collector said...

Schitts Creek!

I’ve never seen that Jeter. Cool card!

night owl said...

No real recommendations. I spend most of my viewing time these days watching old baseball games and music reviews of songs from the '70s and '80s. Also, I'm guessing half of this quarantine freak-out is from extroverts. We introverts have no idea what the problem is.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Man in the High Castle.

bbcardz said...

Introverts...(raises hand).

I'd love to somehow view the movie "Westworld" (1973) and then "Futureworld" (1976). And then watch the Westworld series, of which I've seen no episodes yet. I'd also like to see the movie "The Andromeda Strain" (1971) and then watch the two-episode 2008 mini-series.

gcrl said...

Nice finds, especially that russell martin auto for a buck!
I just started watching succession on HBO. Only 2 seasons so should get through it quickly.

Chris said...

Maybe you didn't find a 'steal' but you got some great cards to keep you occupied for a while. As for a binge-worthy TV show.. I'm struggling to find one myself.

Matt said...

My wife and I recently finished all but the last season of Schitt's Creek, and we've lately been watching a lot of Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Flywheels said...

I love reading posts like this because I rarely make it to shows. Now with the way the world is I don’t see myself attending many shows period for a while. I love how so many relic cards are being dumped for cheap nowadays. You would think the manufacturers would take heed and mix things up a bit. I’m tired of boring jersey cards, but I still like a good game used bat, ball, base, hat, shoe, warning track, wrestling canvas...but those type of game used cards just don’t seem to be made anymore.

The one card that caught my eye was that Furcal auto. Loved watching him play for the Braves.

mr haverkamp said...

Even though that GTS Mktg show was 2 weeks ago today, it definitely feels like it was 6 months ago! Currently binging "Mad Men" (just finished season 3) and it's great. But of course you must see these initially: The Sopranos, The Wire, Homeland, Scrubs, and The Americans!

The Snorting Bull said...

Love the Big Mac Pacific card, and the Frank Robinson. I would go with The Americans or Mrs. Maisel, but I am not a huge television person.

Fuji said...

thank you all for the suggestions. looks like i have a few things to watch now.

johnnys trading spot - i've watched both of those shows... but it's been a long time since i turned on 24. that'll go on my list.

sg488 - i'll check it out. i think people have suggested AHS to me in the past. if not, i know at least one of my students has.

the lost collector - never heard of that show, but i found it on netflix and added it to my list. as for jeter, i've never seen one of these either. but it's actually a nice looking card (assuming it's made by some jeter fan in his garage)

night owl - music review videos of songs from the 70's and 80's sound awesome. i'll have to look for them on youtube

sumomenkoman - i tried that show once and only watched two or three episodes. i might have to give it another shot

bbcardz - i'm so bummed that i don't have access to hbo go anymore. i only got to watch the first season of westworld.

gcrl - okay, i just looked into adding hbo to my hulu or amazon. it's $14.99/month. since i'm buying way less cards these days, maybe i'll treat myself

chris - i just remembered that i bought some mystery bags last year that have been sitting under some boxes in my garage. i now have plenty of cards to sift through. i'm just not super motivated

matt - i just added shlitt's creek to my watch list. i'll look into brooklyn nine nine.

flywheels - i'd love to see topps limit the number of jersey cards they release... and like you said... add some variety to the type of memorabilia used. hopefully they learn, before it's too late and we start seeing them in quarter bins

mr haverkamp - hey... you figured out how to comment on my blog. what was the issue? anyways... thanks for the robinson and it was cool hanging out and catching up. i've been thinking about going back and watching the sopranos (on my dvds...lol). i've heard lots of good things about mad men, homeland, and the wire.

the snorting bull - i just added the americans to my prime watchlist.

Collecting Cutch said...

I have so many binge shows ive been Rewatching

X-Files, Lost, Veronica Mars, Criminal Minds, iZombie

Jon said...

I don't "binge", and any show I would recommend probably wouldn't be available online, so I won't even bother trying to make a list.

The Rickey Gold Sig is really great! Finding Choice Gold's of star players (from any sport) in bargain boxes is always fun, and even in 2020, it still feels like striking, well, gold, when you do come across one.

Baltmoss68 said...

You might enjoy Zoeys Extraordinary Playlist. Only 6 episodes so far but it’s fun and the songs are great

Matt said...

You always find a way to get great snags!

Fuji said...

collecting cutch - i really should give lost a chance. i watched the first season with some friends when it came out, but don't think i ever went any further

jon - the gold rickey was probably my favorite find of the day.

baltmoss68 - never heard of it, but i'll look it up. just looked it up. seems interesting and added it to my hulu playlist

sport card collectors - thanks. it was slim pickings this time around

AdamE said...

If you decide to add Hulu watch The S.H.I.E.L.D. It was Fox's first try at an edgy series and they did it great.

GCA said...

I've got a few things I'd be watching if I ever actually got time off. Bought the first season of the 80's sci-fi cartoon Star Blazers. Plus, I haven't opened the first season of the newest (and CBS online exclusive) Star Trek show. I have been into Manifest on my DVR, but you have to start from the beginning....