30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, February 16, 2015

Seasons of Love


It's unofficially the season of love, so I figured I'd share some items I love to collect that aren't your everyday, pack pulled Rickey Henderson base card, Frank Thomas insert card, Greg Maddux memorabilia card, Kurt Suzuki parallel, or Tony Gwynn autographed card.

Heck some of the items I'll be sharing with you aren't even cards.  But since that's what 98% of my posts focus on, let's start with them.


I have a huge collection of promo cards from the 90's and 2000's that covers everything from baseball to hockey to non-sports.  My fascination originated when I worked at a card shop to help supplement my income during my early teaching years.  These days, I'll pick up as many as I can find while digging through dime boxes.


The shop I worked at had a huge selection of non-sports packs and one day my boss let me pick out ten to fifteen 25¢ packs and a collection was born.  These days I have over 100 different unopened non-sports packs.


And speaking of packs, I also have a nice variety of unopened Japanese baseball card packs.  This is a fairly new collection that I started about four years ago.  I think I presently have 52 different packs, but I have a few people who are actively helping me find new packs.


Wrapping up the unopened pack collections is my latest endeavor... 80's cello and rack packs with key rookie cards showing.  There are only a handful right now, but I try to pick them up whenever they're affordable.

Let's switch gears and take a break from cards.  Don't worry... there are several more card related items I love to collect, but I'm a big fan of adding variety to my collection.


One of my favorite pastimes is collecting bobbleheads, McFarlanes, and of course Kenner Starting Lineups.  I've had to cut back on my purchases, because I don't have the space to store them.  However... sports figurines and bobbles will always have a special place in my collection.


I also have a small collection of Star Wars action figures.  This passion stems from my childhood.  Back then there wasn't anything I'd rather receive for Christmas or a birthday than a new Star Wars action figure or vehicle.

If toys were at the top of my list as a child... it's a safe bet that books were towards the bottom.  In fact, I've never been a huge fan of reading books (hopefully you're not reading this Jen).  I read a lot of books as a kid, but that's because my parents and teachers made me.  However a few years ago, I started reading and buying books involving trading cards:


There are currently seven different sports card books on my bookshelf... and my personal favorite is Josh Wilker's Cardboard Gods.


Over the years, I've also collected my share of comic books.  But recently, I've started to target trade paperbacks.  I like the idea of having a series of comics held together by one spine.  Plus it's easier to store and takes up less space.

The next three collections I'm about to share often leave me scratching my head, because I can't figure out why they receive so little hobby love.


First up are the Donruss/Leaf puzzles from the 80's and early 90's.  They're unique and the artwork is stunning.  However I can't remember the last time I met someone who shares this interest.

It also baffles me that there aren't more Kenner Starting Lineup card collectors...


I know a lot of their 90's designs are boring, but their late 80's stuff is awesome!  I guess I won't complain too much.  Less demand often equates to lower prices.

And finally there are the Sports Illustrated for Kids cards:


They've been around for over twenty-five years and I have yet to meet another collector who's building this "living" set.  Maybe it's because the checklist contains much more than baseball players.    SI includes every sport imaginable... including ice skating, swimming, snowboarding, and of course surfing.

And that's perfectly fine with me, because I collect autographs of surfers too:



As you can see, I collect a variety of things.  Actually... I left out several key items due to time constraints.  Maybe one of these days I'll show off my video game or vinyl collection.

Until then, I wrap up this post with a collection of misfits:

(It's hard to see, but there's a huge crease on the back and a small crease on the front.)


Each year I add anywhere from five to twenty new cards to my Damaged Card PC.  Every now and then I'll receive cards from an eBay vendor that aren't quite up to my regular collection standards.  Plus I have a few friends who end up donating their damaged cards to my collection instead of tossing them into the trash.  As crazy as it sounds... it's actually fun to flip through this binder.  It's a shame that cards don't talk, because I'd love to hear their war stories.

What are some things you love collecting outside of your average pack pulled piece of cardboard?

I hope all of you enjoyed Valentine's Day weekend with your significant others.  If you didn't see my Friday post, I'm currently holding my first contest of 2015.  You can check it out... here.  I'm giving away some packs of Denny's cards.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

24 comments:

Dennis said...

Cool stuff! The idea of picking up the cello packs with key RCs on top is a really interesting idea for sure.

Nick said...

I recently made a pact with myself to pick up every Sample card I could get my hands on. Found a few dozen in the dime boxes at my local flea market last year. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Zippy Zappy said...

Very nice collection rundown.

Other than pieces of cardboard I'm a sucker for LEGO Star Wars (especially Clone Wars centered sets).

mr haverkamp said...

Cardboard Gods is a terrific book; got to meet Wilker at a signing he did at an Oakland bookstore, interesting guy. He has a new one coming out this May; with a baseball and fatherhood theme, I think.

Man said...

Love is a two way street. Without collectors many of these would be disposed of-so I am sure they love you too.

Corky said...

I used to have a decent sized Starting Lineup and McFarlane collection but eventually sold off what I could and let my kids have most of what was left, except for the Griffey figures. I don't really pick up much like that because of storage space but I do like promo/sample cards and error cards.

You have some strong will power to have that many unopened packs and not want to rip them open.

Scott Crawford said...

Damaged or not, I am incredibly jealous of your Maris card. I'm actually collecting the bat relics from that set, but the jersey relic looks terrific.

Billy Kingsley said...

You've now met another collector of the SI for Kids cards....with an asterisk. My most recent examples are from 2002, but I've put more than a few on my wantlist.

I have not seen an SI for Kids on the store shelves for years...I think that's why I stopped getting it, in fact. I thought they were cancelled until I joined the Trading Card Database and saw that they are still being published.

I've considered subscribing just to get the cards, honestly...but I have not yet. My favorite design is the one that lasted until 1997 or so.

Billy Kingsley said...

By the way, I'm also a comic, Star Wars and SLU collector!

Ryan G said...

I've got those Donruss puzzles on my want list right now - they've been there quite a while. And I've put together a list of the Fleer stickers too. I'd love to have full sets of both. I've thought of collecting the entire SI for Kids set, but that is quite a daunting task. I've been a subscriber in the past, and if I ever find intact magazines or full sheets at great prices I get them.

I collect interesting packaging - the 1990s were a great time for that, with Pinnacle's canned and tin products. I also try to find unique or fun souvenirs when I visit ballparks.

I collect and try to read baseball books as much as possible, and I have a lot of souvenirs from my travels.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I too collect those Donruss puzzles, the mini card size and the huge ones too. Although I haven't complete the run as of yet (This time around, as I used to have them all). I always try to hang on to all of the odd ball inserts I get, but just recently decided to continue to do that so I can trade them away. My next package to you should contain some of those SI for kids in it.

Yankeejetsfan said...

Love this topic. We have similar tastes in our non card collecting habits. I too love to collect bobbleheads, McFarlanes, Starting Lineups, Starting Lineup cards, Star Wars (with a heavy emphasis on Luke Skywalker), Oddball cards, anything Yankees, Jets, Islanders and Knicks related, I want ti.

I have also started to shy away from individual comic books and started to pick up trade paperbacks for the same reason as you. Space. I also like to read a complete story rather than having to read an individual comic. Call it the impatient reader in me.

Not sure how you manage to keep the unopened cards unopened. I would have tore those open a long time ago, lol

Fuji said...

I wanted to do this back in the 80's... but dealers inflated the prices to the point where I couldn't afford them. These days... if you're patient... you can find them at reasonable prices.

Fuji said...

I probably have a few doubles laying around. I just shipped out a package to you... but I'll try to remember to add some to your next package.

Fuji said...

I just purchased my first Star Wars lego set... Tie Advanced Prototype. I'm not going to start a collection due to lack of space... but I'll definitely be purchasing a Slave I at some point.

Fuji said...

I really want to go back and pick up sets I collected when I was a kid. Last year, I finally crossed off the 1977 Topps Star Wars set... but I still need the stickers. Eventually, I'd like to get ESB and ROTJ sets... as well as a copy of the Three's Company and Indiana Jones sets.

I have random singles from 80's (maybe 90's) sets... nothing too fancy. If you want them, I'll send them your way and get your collection started.

Fuji said...

Wow... thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely buy his new book when it comes out. Hopefully he has another book signing, because I'd love to have him autograph my copy of Cardboard Gods.

Fuji said...

Lol... that's especially true for my Damaged Card PC. My collection is filled with creased, dinged, and written on cardboard.

Fuji said...

Due to lack of space... I actually prefer the cards over the figures nowadays. However... my eyes are trained to find discount SLU's and McFarlanes at the flea market. As for the unopened packs... I usually buy them in pairs. One to rip open... the other to keep sealed.

Fuji said...

The Maris... along with my 98 Donruss Significant Signatures Musial are the crown jewels of my Damaged Card PC. I absolutely love that card. Best of luck on that bat relic set. It's a great looking design.

Fuji said...

Welcome to the club. Each year, my school has a magazine fundraiser where the teachers get 45% off the regular subscription deal. Thankfully SI for Kids has been on their list the past few years. It's actually a pretty cool magazine. Even without the cards, I prefer to read it over the regular SI.

By the way... just discovered your blog. I don't really collect basketball or NASCAR, but I look forward to reading your non-sports posts.

Fuji said...

Pinnacle Inside cans were awesome! I had complete sets of baseball and football cans, but sold them when I dumped my collection in the early 2000's. These days I have a Brett Favre can... and one of these days I'll find the two Gwynn cans I used to own.

Fuji said...

What Donruss puzzle do you need? I have a few extras from eBay lots I purchased. Let me know what you need and I'll dig them out for you.

Fuji said...

That's why I love your blog so much. You cover a lot of the stuff I wish I had space for (except for the Yankees posts). Keep up the great work.