30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, September 19, 2014

I Overpaid & I Liked It

Values in our hobby typically follow the whole "supply" vs. "demand" concept.  Simply put... "overproduction" tends to kill values.

Usually that's not a good thing from my point of view, but today I'm turning things around.  Let's call it "Flip the Script Friday".  Today I want to share an amazing card that features an on-card autograph of a hall of famer that can be purchased for less than $20.

Back in 1995, Upper Deck inserted redemption cards into their Series Two packs.  There were five players available:  Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Roger Clemens, Raul Mondesi, and Mr. October himself... Reggie Jackson.


Take two seconds and just stare at this masterpiece.  Great photo.  Simple design.  Beautiful signature.  Baseball legend.  Can you ask for anything more?

I picked mine up a while back for $20 to $30 and thought I was robbing the guy.  This morning I checked completed eBay auctions for the same card and discovered this card now sells for a fraction of that price.  One closed eleven days ago for $8.50 (+ $2 shipping).  That's insane!  And depending on your point of view, it could be really awesome or really depressing.

Being the bargain hunter that I am... I normally would be frustrated that I overpaid for my copy.  But I just can't help feel excited that collectors who are willing to be patient... now have the opportunity to pick up a signature of one of the greatest players in World Series history for less than $20.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Dave said...

Did a quick ebay search for "1995 Upper Deck Reggie Jackson autograph..." it reveals fifteen auctions with a mean price of $20.08. Tack on an average shipping cost of $2.77 for shipping and you're up to $22.85. Coming from someone who once paid $40 for a pair of auto refractors of Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel, I think you still got a square deal.

Fuji said...

Yeah. I pretty much targeted the five lowest sales:

9/8: $8.50 + $2 shipping
8/10: $12.06 + $2.99 shipping
8/19: $12.99 + $2.19 shipping
6/22: $14.99 + $2.32 shipping
6/22: $16.72 + $3.00 shipping

Mark Hoyle said...

Still seems like a good deal $20 for a HOF

RAZ said...

Definitely better than a blaster full of 32 Topps Chrome cards.

Daniel Wilson said...

Great card at any...well....almost any price! Even $30, in my opinion, is a great deal!

Corky said...

Definitely worth the price.

Man said...

That is nuts. Cardinals' prospects who may never make it to the bigs go for more than that.

Eric Bracke said...

I have a copy of that card. Love the older Upper Deck autographs. A classic.