30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Flea Market Finds #69: Rock n' Roll & Miller Lite Ladies

My summer has officially reached the end of the tunnel.  Tomorrow morning I'm walking out my front door and reporting back to work, where I'll be greeted with two days worth of staff development, classroom decoration, and lesson plan preparation.  On Wednesday, the students arrive as I kick off my 17th year of teaching.

Outside of my first few years of teaching, this year will probably prove to be the most challenging as I inherit two new curriculums to go along with the class I usually teach.  But you didn't come to my blog to read about work.

You're here for cards.  So let's wrap up my 2014 summer with some classic rock n' roll and some fine lookin' ladies.


On Saturday, I walked around the Branham Flea Market and found a bunch of packs of 1985 Rock Star Concert Cards.  I ended up buying everything the lady had, which was one full box of 24 packs and a partial box containing 19 packs.  She offered everything to me for $40, but I countered with $30 and she accepted.

If you love 80's rock, then this set is for you.  It contains everything from The Police to The Rolling Stones.

If you're interested in seeing some singles, please check out Nick's post over at Dime Boxes.  He blogged about some card his father game him a couple of months ago.

I also opened up a pack of these this afternoon and posted it up on A Pack To Be Named Later.

I set aside a few of the packs for my non-sports unopened pack collection:


I'm going to keep the full box and probably sell the remaining packs on eBay to recover some of the money.

There were a bunch of other vendors with sports cards...


But I kept my wallet in my pocket and held onto my money for a few Five Star autographs I'm targeting on eBay.

Speaking of autographs... I thought I'd wrap up my final summer post with the 1998 San Diego Pad Squad:


My former boss hooked me up with this poster when she found out I was a Padres fan.  Her daughter was a member of the team and was kind enough to autograph it for me:


For those who may not be familiar with The Pad Squad, they're a dance team and part of the San Diego Padres outreach program.  Here's a video of them in action...


Is there anything finer than the Swinging Friar, the Pad Squad, and some Gangnam Style?

I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend.  Happy Sunday and sayonara!

8 comments:

RAZ said...

I know what they're going for, but when it's written out The Pad Squad sounds like a group trying to sell feminine hygiene products.

Fuji said...

Lol... yeah.

Mark Hoyle said...

I love collecting old schedules

Nick said...

Rock on!

BobWalkthePlank said...

The Rock cards are awesome!

Swing And A Pop-up said...

I'd be all over those 80's Rock Star cards too.

Tony said...

I remember that Hottest/Rising Stars set!I had the MLB set!Wow,thanks for the flashback ;)

Unknown said...

Somebody was asking me if I could find this poster. I have a lot of them stored in a container with my old photos/albums. I couldn't believe that I was actually able to find it on the internet! I am the top left, first... Amor.