30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, February 18, 2011

Domo Arigato: jaybarkerfan @ CCW

Another care package? Seriously? What have I done to deserve all of these free cards? Today I received another care package from a fellow collector. It wasn't from a trade... nor was it from a contest.

Simply it was a generous gesture from a collector who contacted me on Facebook and Card Collector's World. His personal message was short and simple. "I would like to send you some cards".

Three weeks later... these arrived:


Six team bags full of cards from teams that either I collect... or teams my students collect. He also included a letter that explained why he sent this package:


Sorry if it's hard to read... I had to shrink it to fit on the blog. Essentially... jaybarkerfan is a collector who is giving away the cards that doesn't fit into his collection to collectors who might appreciate them.

Well jaybarkerfan... I totally appreciate your generosity. I love the idea of The Pay It Forward Card Project. In fact... I'm in the process of putting together a few packages myself for other collectors.

It's people like you who make this hobby special. The fact that you took the time to see what I collect, then ship me cards for these collections is truly amazing. Although some of the cards are duplicates, I can assure you that they won't be wasted. I will pass these cards along to my students who collect cards. They'll be pumped... I'm sure.

I'd also like to share your letter (don't worry... I've blurred your address), because one of the things I cover in my class is "character education", which includes things like "compassion" and "generosity". I've actually talked to a few of my students about "paying it forward". This will be an excellent real life example.

So thanks again jaybarkerfan for the awesome care package. Check your mailbox this upcoming week... because I found a few cards I hope you can use. I promise to "Pay It Forward" to other collectors.

As for everyone else... what do you think about this project?

Have you ever sent anyone a package of cards without expecting anything in return?

and/or

Have you ever received cards without any strings attached?

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I know I'm going to enjoy my week off. Sayonara!

1 comment:

Sophie Grace said...

Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. We also share this site webstagram about instagram.