Wednesday, July 24, 2024

A Sweet Food Issue from the 80's

Don't remember where.  Can't remember when.  But at some point along this card collecting journey... my eyes fell upon this card:

1981 Topps Squirt #28

It checks off a lot of boxes: color matched, early 80's food issue, 1978 Topps cursive with fielding position within the baseball, and it features one of my all-time favorite baseball players.

The only thing I don't like about it are the prices people are asking for singles (of Rickey) or sets.  On a good day, it'll cost you about the same as a blaster.  But sometimes it can sell for twice as much.

After two years of waiting for the right deal to pop up, I finally added this card to my collection as part of a complete set purchased on eBay for $25 (+ $8.49 tax & shipping):





The set contains 33 cards (10 hall of famers), but was distributed as part of 22 different panelsEleven guys including Pete Rose, George Brett, and Reggie Jackson were each issued on two panels each.  Rickey was included on one of the Bill Buckner panels.  Here's a closer look:



The panels are perforated to help people separate the cards, but I was super nervous about messing it up.  I know this scan only shows my Rickey cropped.  However I assure you Bill and him are no longer together.

I don't remember seeing this card or any singles from this set when I was a kid, but I've drank a fair share of this grapefruit flavored soda over the years.  In fact, I bought a six-pack while I was up in Oregon last month.

And for those who want to see a side by side comparison with Rickey's flagship 1981 Topps card, here you go:

1981 Topps #261

The cards utilize two very different designs on the front, however the backs are nearly identical:



Outside of the card number, these cards look the same.  Upon closer examination, I also noticed that A* was printed on the trademark line on the flagship version, but not the Squirt card.

Hope you enjoy my latest addition to my Rickey Henderson collection as much as I do.  I've always collected him, but as we come closer to the A's departure from Oakland... I'm even more interested in his collectibles.

I have a few other Rickey cards I have recently purchased, but this post has dragged on long enough.  I'll save them for another day.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

11 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

No idea why they couldn't have squeezed Murphy in the set (or any Braves player).

Chris said...

The border colors are a perfect fit for Rickey's Oakland uniform. Congrats on adding this set to your PC!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Love these. Have the Clark for the Giants PC. Zero chance I'd've busted up a complete panel though.

The Angels In Order said...

That Squirt set is one of the best designs ever.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - that's interesting that they left murphy off. looks like he was coming off of a very strong season. topps/squirt also shafted expos and blue jays fans

chris - thanks. i couldn't agree more. i absolutely love the look of this card

nick vossbrink - some of the panels were in poor shape (which is probably why i got it at this price), so i decided to break it down. but don't worry. another set of panels popped up a two weeks ago for under $40 and it was in really nice condition. so i also have a complete set of panels too

the angels in order - i love the giant baseball with the player's portrait in the middle. just wish the centering was better.

Angus said...

I don't remember seeing Squirt growing up, so it may not have been in Canada. If it wasn't, that would explain no Expos or Blue Jays.

Shlabotnik Report said...

These are sweet! I don't know why I don't have any, I need to remedy that

CrazieJoe said...

The colours do look amazing with the A's uniforms.

night owl said...

Still need to get the rest of the Dodgers, only have Garvey. ... Squirt was either shunned or nonexistent where I lived in 1981, I don't remember. I know it's not a flavor that would appeal to me then.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Oh dang! Nice. The colors are so vivid they hurt my eyes. Haha!

Jon said...

It's nice that these were licensed too, as they look like the sort of thing that wouldn't have been.