Sunday, June 16, 2024

Planes, Pineapples, and my Pops

Today's post focuses on some recent additions to a small collection dedicated to my father... who has been a role model and someone I've admired and looked up to my entire life.

The first card features a plane my father worked on back in mid to late 60's:

2023 Historic Autographs Flight #52

Due to the classified nature of the project, he didn't really open up about the specifics of his job.  Even my mom had no idea what he was up to.  Years later, a lot of the information regarding the plane became declassified and he was able to tell us his group focused on the INS (inertial navigation system).


I've been interested in this plane ever since... and enjoy collecting anything and everything related to it.  Back in December, Billy over at Cardboard History showed off some singles from his box of 2023 Historic Autographs Flight which features birds, planes, rockets, and drones.

After doing some research, I discovered this card was one of the short prints in the set.  I immediately headed over to eBay and picked up a few copies for a buck each.

Two weeks earlier, Nick over at n j w v wrote a post on the 1928 Players Cigarettes Products of the World set.  This card really caught my eye and motivated me to purchase a complete set:

1928 Players Products of the World #27 

Pineapples were a big part of my dad's childhood.  He grew up on a plantation and his first job was working at Dole when he was thirteen.


On one of our last trips to Costco together while he was still living in Las Vegas, they had a crate of pineapples.  That was the day he taught me how to pick a sweet one (look for the heavier ones that are golden in color and have a sweet smell on the bottom).

Happy Father's Day Pops... and to all of the other fathers out there.  Hope you enjoyed your special day.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Xavier Higgins said...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience professor. God bless you and your family. Thanks for the El Duques & Posadas.

The Lost Collector said...

Very nice tribute, Fuji!

OhioTim said...

If you ever get a chance to travel out to Ohio, there is a SR-71 on display at the US Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton.

Bo said...

That's so cool that you are able to find cards to commemorate your father like that!

John Sharp said...

Great post!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

learning something here.

Jon said...

I only just learned within the last few years that pineapples grow on the ground, and still can't get past my long held belief that they grew in trees.

Nick Vossbrink said...

YES! Love the pineapples card and it's why I bought that set as well. There's also a Blackbird at the National Air and Apace museum in Chantilly VA (right by Dulles).

SumoMenkoMan said...

I love the SR-71 and any cards associated with it! Very cool!!