30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, February 29, 2020

They're for a Good Cause

After months of being out of control, the Australian wildfires were finally contained with the help of heavy rainfalls.  Unfortunately, the devastation these fires left behind will have a permanent impact on the country and their ecosystem.

At least twenty-eight people lost their lives and thousands of people have lost their homes due to these recent wildfires.  And if that weren't terrible enough, the number of animals that have possibly been affectedone billion.  It's hard to even wrap my head around that number.


Back in January, Ryan (SumoMenkoMan) texted me about Topps producing a set where all of the proceeds would be donated to help relief efforts.  I immediately went over to Topps.com and purchased a set for $19.99.

I received the twenty card set a few weeks ago and noticed that the set is split into two halveslocal wildlife and famous landmarks.

I was very impressed by the photography, but don't take my word for it.  See for yourself:

#1 Red Kangaroo
#2 Koalas
#3 Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo
#4 Platypus

#5 Tasmanian Devil
#6 Flying Fox
#7 Brush-Tailed Rock Wallaby
#8 Dingo

#9 Long-Footed Potoroo
#10 Regent Honeyeater
#11 Kangaroo Island
#12 Great Barrier Reef

#13 Uluru
#14 Twelve Apostles
#15 Three Sisters
#16 Dunns Swamp

#17 Shark Bay
#18 Mount Kosciuszko
#19 Great Victoria Desert
#20 Mutawintji National Park

Here's a closer look at two of my favorite singles from the set:



Each card was printed on Heritage-style card stock and features a writeup on the back with a description of the animal or landmark.  It's simple, but in a good way.

I don't usually buy into Topps and their online exclusive products... but I'm glad I bought this set.  The only drawback is that every time I look at it, I'll be reminded of the devastating wildfires and all of the destruction it did.

One day, I'd love to visit Australia and see all of these places and wildlife in person.  I know a few people who have been there and they all said it was beautiful.

What about you?

Have you ever been to Australia?  Any favorite Australian landmarks or animals?

Well... I hope you enjoyed this Set Showcase.  I probably have over one hundred small sets sitting in boxes.  Maybe I'll pull a few out and start featuring them on this blog.  Let me know if you'd be interested in reading these kinds of posts.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

18 comments:

Base Card Hero said...

Never been to Australia. It's one of the few places outside of the U.S. I'd like to go.

I also had no idea that set existed. It looks really nice (and a good cause). It really reminds me of some 1970's non-sport set. Good stuff.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I’ve been to Australia several times. An amazing country! That set is pretty awesome and glad some of the proceeds are going to a great cause in helping them rebuild.

Nachos Grande said...

I was in Australia once and loved my time there (mostly in and around Sydney). If the flight from where I live wasn't so long I'd probably try and go back there again soon!

bbcardz said...

Well I've learned something new here. I recognized the rock formation in card #13 from a high school research assignment. Back then the encyclopedias and text books referred to it as "Ayers Rock". I did not know it was renamed Uluru/Ayers Rock in 1993. The more you know...

Nick Vossbrink said...

Okay someone's got to point out that your scans area all upside down.

GCA said...

Never been, but I'd love to go there more than a lot of places.

Great way to contribute to the relief. I'll have to see if they're still selling these.

Matt said...

Haven't been and never will. Won't fly at all. Unless someone drugs me to take me there I will be out of luck

friend11 said...

I like small sets and would read about your collection

P-town Tom said...

I didn't hear about this Topps fundraiser. Bummer.
I would love to go to Australia some day, but that long plane flight has been deterring me to this point.

Small boxed sets? Sure, bring them on!

The Snorting Bull said...

I have never been to Australia. My favorite Australian animal is probably the platypus, like Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb. These are really sweet cards. I went on Topps, but they do not have them for sale anymore. I will have to keep my eye out for a set on Ebay.

Bulldog said...

Cool set and great cause. I've never been there but have always wanted to. I'll never go at this point but I do enjoy learning more. Good stuff. Thanks.

NPB Card Guy said...

Had a business trip there back in the 1990's. I was able to go to Uluru (and a similar but older formation near by called Kata Tjuta) and spend a couple days in Sydney. I'd love to go back and catch some ABL games sometime.

gcrl said...

I've not been to Australia yet. I first heard about many of their landmarks, like kosciusko, through Midnight Oil lyrics.

Fuji said...

base card hero - great observation. it definitely has the non-sports 70's vibe. maybe that's why i like it so much.

sumomenkoman - i'm so jealous. we'll have to talk about it the next time we hang out.

nachos grande - i wonder how long the flight is from san francisco to australia. i can't even deal with the 5 hour flight to hawaii. gotta imagine it's a lot longer than that

bbcardz - nice. thanks for the history lesson. i love that card.

nick vossbrink - that's because they come from the land down under

gca - i don't think they still are, but you're in luck. i think they're even cheaper on ebay

sport card collectors - sounds like we have something in common. i hate flying. right now i only take short flights to places like vegas and portland

friend11 - good to know. i'll start going through the box and finding some interesting sets to write about. thanks for taking the time to read the blog

p-town tom - yeah, that flight would definitely require me to use medication. by the way... i didn't have the chance to write about your care package yet. but don't worry... i will.

the snorting bull - my students talk about phineas and ferb, but i've never seen it. i saw them sell for less on ebay :)

bulldog - i'm guessing that i'll never make it there either. but a guy can always dream

npb card guy - so jealous that you've gotten to see uluru in person. it looks so beautiful on the card.
never thought about attending baseball games, but that sounds like a blast.

gcrl - i love midnight oil. probably should have embedded one of their songs... or maybe a men at work song.

Matt said...

Those are some great looking cards! Good job Topps!

Sean said...

Oh, that is a nice looking set and a good cause. I have been to Austrlia (Adelaide) and really enjoyed it, I was very sad to see how horrible the fires were.

night owl said...

I've traded with someone in Australia, does that count?

Fuji said...

matt - yeah, i was very happy with the outcome of this product

sean - and to think they go through this every year... although this wildfire season was much worse than normal

night owl - that's more than i can say.