30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Flea Market Finds #147: Junk Wax and a Printing Plate

A couple of Saturdays ago, I hit up the Branham Flea Market and was bummed to see about 40% less vendors than usual.  I'm guessing the cold weather scared them away.  That being said, I was able to find a few people with cards.


Purchase #1Baseball Cards  $5

2012 Topps Heritage Real One Autograph #ROA-EA

2008 Bowman Cyan Printing Plate #52

Never heard of Mr. Averill, but I couldn't pass up a Real One autograph that was priced to sell.  Unfortunately, it's pretty beat up.  I also joined the Printing Plate Club that Kenny and Dennis recently establishedHafner isn't on the same level as Anthony Davis or Glen Rice, but back in the mid-aughts he seemed to be on the path to stardom.


Purchase #2Home Depot Building Kits $2


My friend has two little girls... one of which absolutely loves football.  The other enjoys coloring.  I figured they might have fun building these with their dad.


Purchase #31990-91 Score American Hockey Box  $5


I'm not sure how many of my readers collect hockey cards, but this was a nice blast from the past.  I really like Score's premier hockey card design.  There's a chance to pull a lot of big name rookie cards from this box, including hall of famers like:  Mike Modano, Eric Lindros, Mats Sundin, and Rob Blake.  Plus Score was the only company to have the foresight to include a Martin Brodeur rookie card.

Okay... fast forward to last Saturday when I walked around the De Anza Flea Market.  Like Branham, it was freezing cold and the vendor count was much lower than normal.  But I did manage to make two card related purchases.


Purchase #11991 Stadium Club Baseball Series 2 Box  $5


The problem with unopened Stadium Club is that you don't know if the cards will come out of the packs stuck together or not.  At $5 per box, I probably should have risked it and bought both of the boxes he had for sale.  But I only ended up grabbing one.  Like the box of Score hockey, I'll bust this open at some point.  In the meantime, my rainy day box break stash continues to grow.


Purchase #2Dime Cards  $1


Nothing too special here.  I was standing around my buddy's table and ended up grabbing 10 basketball cards out of his dime box.

Well that wraps things up for today.  I hope all of you are having a good week.  Happy Thursday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Lee Hero said...

Nice finds. I. Would have been all over those 91 Stadium Clubs. I don't own a single Dodger from 91 SC.

gcrl said...

I miss masterpieces because of cards like that Dr. J.

Base Card Hero said...

Have fun with the Score hockey. At one time I had almost 20 Lindros rookies. It's still a great set today.

Sean said...

Those two 5$ boxes are great finds, especially that Stadium Club (I think I remember those going for almost $5 per pack at one point in 1991) even if they do stick together! I kind of wish I lived in North America sometimes, I'd probably spend a huge amount of time just opening cheap junk wax.

Rebel Coyote said...

Good deal on box of Score inaugural set. It's a rookie studded set especially Brodeur rookie.

RunForeKelloggs said...

I am just jealous that you can go to a flea market. In Chicago they are closed for five months until the weather gets better.

The Lost Collector said...

Cool printing plate!

GTT said...

Nice getting the 1991 TSC box for $5. I'm always wanting to get cheap 90's wax like that, but I never seem to find it.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Averill: HOF autograph for $5.00, ching ching!

POISON75 said...

When you break your Score hockey lmk & I'll be gladly to see what I can find for you in singles just ask the blogger who writes The Collective Mind for a link to my list

acrackedbat said...

i would have snatched up both Club boxes. hope they open cleanly! only one flea market near me, open May-Oct but never cards to be found there.

Brett Alan said...

Yeah, I would never pass up a certified auto of a HOFer at that price (unless I had it), especially an old-timer like that, not to mention numbered /63! The old saying "a bargain at twice the price!" really is true here.

The Snorting Bull said...

Old boxes are always fun. Have you ever tried putting old boxes of cards in the freezer before opening? I found a box of Emotion XL awhile ago, and someone recommended that step. Worked really well. Averill autograph looks great too! Good finds.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Nice Averill and yeah I'd've grabbed both SC boxes. Those were the card of choice back in Jr High.

Fuji said...

lee hero - email me your mailing address. i'll be busting open the box one of these days and i have no problem sending you the dodgers (and the bellinger relic if i have an extra)

gcrl & cardboard jones - yeah, that's pretty much the main reason i stood there and dug through his box

base card hero - wowza. i think i have three or four. but i wouldn't mind adding one or two more to my collection

sean - yeah, i'm pretty sure the shop i worked at sold them for $5 a pack too. i enjoy picking up $5 wax boxes... but i'm starting to run out of room for those too.

rebel coyote - i sure hope i pull at least one of his rookie card.

runforekelloggs - i'd say at least 3 to 4 flea markets out of the year aren't worth waking up for due to weather issues. if it's raining or 30 degrees or less, i tend to sleep in

the lost collector - the guy had a bunch, but hafner was the only name i recognized

gtt - come out to cali and i'll give you a tour of bay area flea markets. the capitol flea market always has junk wax era boxes

johnnys trading spot & brett alan - actually this is the hall of famer's son. but the good news is that it only $2.50 ;)

poison75 - thanks for the offer, but it's really not worth the time. i have at least one (maybe two... or even three) factory sets of this stuff laying around, so i don't really need to try and build the set. i'm just going rookie hunting. figure the entertainment value plus pulling either a brodeur or lindros is worth the five bucks ;)

acrackedbat - i totally regret not grabbing both now :( maybe you should set up there and start the baseball card @ flea markets trend out in your neck of the woods

the snorting bull - i'll definitely try the freezer trick before i attempt to bust them open

nick vossbrink - yeah, stadium club was the brand to buy back in 1991. and i totally regret not grabbing both