30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, November 11, 2019

Commanders of the Hill

This weekend I spent over ten hours in my office going through boxes and sorting cards into stacks.  There were stacks all over the floor.  I thought about taking a picture, but the mess wasn't something I'm too proud of.  And I'm not even close to being finished.  That was really only the first phase of the sort where I pulled cards out of grimy penny sleeves, sorted them by sports, and separated the ones I plan to keep, the ones I intend to ship, and the ones I plan to drop off at Goodwill.

I've put everything back into boxes, so that I'm able to move around.  At some point the next level of sorting needs to take place.  That's where things are broken down into teams, players, rookies, inserts, base, etc.

However that's gonna happen another weekend, because I'm taking today off.  My back is sore and the goal is to relax as I have the day off for Veteran's Day.

In honor of this federal holiday, I thought I'd dedicate this post to all who have served or are currently serving in our country's armed forces and show off an oddball issue that was distributed exclusively on military bases.

Back in 1993, Topps produced a set consisting of only pitchers called Commanders of the Hill.  I was introduced to this set back in March when SumoMenkoMan reviewed these cards on A Pack To Be Named Later.  It inspired me to head over to eBay and purchase some packs (which unfortunately were never shipped).  As luck would have it, SumoMenkoMan would hook me up with twenty-one packs in a care package that I finally got around to opening yesterday afternoon.

Each pack contains five cards... so I knew I had a pretty solid shot at building the thirty card set.  I was right.  In the sixteenth pack, I pulled the Melido Perez and Dave Stewart which completed the set.  Here the entire set for your viewing pleasure:

#1 Dennis Eckersley   #2 Mike Mussina   #3 Roger Clemens
#4 Jim Abbott   #5 Jack McDowell   #6 Charles Nagy

The first sixteen cards in the set represent the American League.  The first card in the set honors Eckersley for winning the 1992 AL Cy Young Award, while the next fourteen cards feature each team's 1992 ERA leader (among starting pitchers with a certain number of appearances). 

#7 Bill Gullickson   #8 Kevin Appier   #9 Bill Wegman
#10 John Smiley   #11 Melido Perez   #12 Dave Stewart

#13 Dave Fleming   #14 Kevin Brown   #15 Juan Guzman
#16 Randy Johnson   #17 Greg Maddux  #18 Tom Glavine

Randy Johnson closes things out for the AL with a special American League Strikeout Leader card, while Greg Maddux kicks things off for the National League with the NL Cy Young Award card.

#19 Greg Maddux   #20 Jose Rijo   #21 Pete Harnisch
#22 Tom Candiotti   #23 Denny Martinez   #24 Sid Fernandez

Maddux is the only player who appears twice in the set, since he was also the Cubs' ERA Leader as well.

#25 Curt Schilling   #26 Doug Drabek   #27 Bob Tewksbury
#28 Andy Benes   #29 Bill Swift   #30 John Smoltz

John Smoltz closes things out with his National League Strikeout Leader card.

Here's a closer look at the three different types of cards in the set...

Cy Young Award Winner

Team ERA Leader

League Strikeout Leader

Although I don't think this design would work for a flagship series, it definitely gives off the oddball issue vibe.  I like the use of camouflage on the front and red, white, and blue on the backs.  I also think it was cool to have at least one player from each team represented in the set.  And the game by game record on the team's ERA leader was a nice touch.

The set is obviously loaded with big names.  There are six hall of famers on the checklistDennis Eckersley, Mike Mussina, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John SmoltzDennis Eckersley, Jim Abbott, Dave Stewart, Kevin Brown, and Dennis Martinez are all members of the No-Hitter Club.  And these eight guys each took home at least one Cy Young AwardRoger Clemens (7), Dennis Eckersley, Jack McDowell, Randy Johnson (5), Tom Glavine (2), John Smoltz, Greg Maddux (4), and Doug Drabek.

But I also think it's cool that this set provides an opportunity for Tigers fans to add a Bill Gullickson oddball issue to their collection.  Or there's one more Billy Swift card for San Francisco Giants collectors to track down

Oh and before I forget, here's a look at an unopened pack, which according to Baseballcardpedia originally sold for 25¢ with the purchase of a fountain drink at Army and Air Force Exchange restaurants or snack bars:


Well that wraps up my Veteran's Day post.  A special shout out to Dennis over at Too Many Verlanders.  His Sportlots post reminded me that I had these packs laying around waiting to be opened.  Thank you to Ryan (aka SumoMenkoMan) for supplying these packs.  And of course a huge thank you to all of the veterans and people currently serving in our country's armed forces.  You truly are real American heroes.

Happy Veteran's Day and sayonara!

11 comments:

Baltmoss68 said...

Cool little set. I bought a lot from my PX in Heidelberg , Germany. Good memories.

night owl said...

It's amazing there are still sets from this time period that I've never seen before. The Candiotti just went in my cart.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Thank you.

Dennis said...

I've been looking forward to you posting these--nice writeup! Very cool of Ryan to give you all those packs and I'm happy you didn't have to chase down one or two of them.

Henry Blanchette said...

Hard to believe I've never seen these cards before. Like Night Owl said, there's a ton of stuff from the '90s out there, and I see more and more of it each day. Great post.

The Snorting Bull said...

I don't think I have ever seen these cards before. Very nice. I need to find a copy of that Bob Tewksbury card.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Sweet, glad you could complete a set. Those came directly from Germany as well so must have been a ton sold overseas.

The Lost Collector said...

What a cool set. Thanks for sharing.

Nick said...

I own exactly one of these (the League Leader Smoltz) and I never knew how or by whom these were issued. Very cool.

Fuji said...

baltmoss68 - thanks for the information. looks like ryan picked these particular packs up in germany as well

night owl - i thought i knew my early 90's sets, but i didn't know about this one either. but if a lot were distributed overseas then that would make a lot of sense. i unfortunately didn't pull another candiotti... otherwise i'd send it your way

johnnys trading spot - there was at least one extra brave (can't remember which one), so i'll be sending it your way.

dennis - yeah... collation was pretty good. i think i only pulled two triples.

henry blanchette - between all of us bloggers and our card show, comc, card shop, tcdb, and flea market hauls... we sure cover 99% of the cards out there. but every now and then one that we didn't know about falls in our laps

the snorting bull - looks like comc has most of them available for about a buck

sumomenkoman - i owe it all to you. thanks buddy

the lost collector - no problem. it was fun opening the packs and building the set

nick - seems like new information keeps on popping up about it. just learned that these packs were picked up in germany.

Matt said...

I always have a ton of packs lying around that mean more sealed than unsealed to me