30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Flea Market Finds #138: Dollar Box of Cards

This past Saturday was the first of the month, which means that the De Anza Flea Market was open for business.  My buddy and I were planning on setting up as vendors, but they never sent him any confirmation.  Oh well.  Playing the role of the shopper isn't too shabby.

It still provides a little fresh air, adds to my daily steps, and enabled me to hunt for new items for my collection.  Within the first fifteen minutes, I ran into the couple who sold me the box of promos last month.  They were continuing to clean out their inventory.

Purchase #1Box of Cards  $1


They were selling 3,500ct. boxes for a buck.  At that price, I probably should have bought all of them, but I settled on this one:


It contained some Star Trek, Marvel, and Harley Davidson trading cards, but the cards I was most interested in were these 1991 Star Line Hollywood Walk of Fame singles:


The set is comprised of famous actors, actresses, and musicians.  There are a few singles missing from the set, but it contained the one card that was well worth the dollar I spent on the box:


1991 Starline Hollywood Walk of Fame #49

One of the things I learned about my mom after she passed away was that she was really fond of Andy Williams and his music.  My dad told me that "their song" was Williams' version of Love is a Many Splendored Thing.  Ever since then... I've been trying to pick up a few of his trading cards in her honor.


Purchase #2Quarter Table Purchase $5

The couple also had a quarter table...


There were tons of non-sports sets, sticker sets, and a few sports related items thrown on a table.  I ended up grabbing Menudo and Super Girl sticker sets, a complete Star Trek TNG Series One set, and a few packages of Broders:


I'm not really sure anyone is interested in any of these, so I didn't take the time to scan them.  However if something catches your eye, let me know in the comment section below and maybe I'll do a review post for you.

They also had a bunch of sports card magazines for a quarter as well, so I grabbed these:


As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the Topps Magazines produced in the early 90's.  They are great reads and contain cool cards.  I also look forward to flipping through the other three trading card magazines as well.

If you look carefully, you'll see a set of 1994 Fleer The Amazing Spider-Man Masterprints.  This was a premium given to shops who bought a case of this product.  It's a nine card set featuring Spider-Man's allies, enemies, and super powers.  The guy threw this into the purchase for free.


Purchase #312 Cards for a Buck  $6


The next guy I ran into is a dealer that usually sets up at the Serramonte Mall Sports Cards, Toys, and Collectibles Show.  He specializes in video games, but had a plastic tub filled with cards marked twelve for a dollar.

I picked out 72 cards for $6.  Here's a sampling to show off the variety:





Purchase #4One Autograph and Thirteen Relics  $15

Found a guy with a box of relics and autographs that were unmarked.  After asking him for a price, he gave the whole "put a stack together and I'll give you a good deal" spiel.  I explained that I only really focus on dollar relics and he said that's about what he was looking to get for them.

With that out of the way, I dug in and pulled these:


There wasn't anything too crazy I pulled out, but I was happy to see the Zetterberg patch, Murrell shoe card, and Mengden autograph...




Purchase #5Wonder Hardcover Book 50¢


I already own two copies of this book, but for fifty cents... I just couldn't pass this book up.  It'll be added to my classroom library.

Well that wraps up my latest trip to the flea market.  There's another one on the 15th and then a card show on the 22nd, so I have a lot of options in the month of June.  

Until then...

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

18 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I noticed the two 1965 Topps there. I know they're not in the best of shape but Gibson and the Leaders card with Mays. I'm fairly certain that to Mays's left is Ron Santo. Someday I'd like to add the OPC version to my collection but Mays jacks up the price. The Hollywood cards are cool. I see some big names there. Carl Reiner at 97 is still alive and kicking---and Tweeting.

Nick said...

Whoa, is that a '65 Gibson in the 12/$1 box?!

The Lost Collector said...

What finds! This is why I want to go to a flea market with you.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

1st Year Devers along with a 65 Gibson, and a Leaders card, sweet .08 a piece. Also, I'd have taken everything the first couple had too. LOL. Nice grabs.

Chris said...

Great finds, especially the Zetterberg patch, Devers and '65 Gibson. The Mengden auto is very cool, too.

I've seen Wonder a few times but I hadn't considered picking it up until now. perhaps I'll read it with my daughter sometime.

Jupiterhill said...

Holy wow! I think I would have bought way too much if I was there and wouldn't have regretted it.

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

That shoe card is killer

Commishbob said...

My folks loved Andy Williams as well, and he was the headliner the night they opened the Summit which was the Rockets arena back in the day. He put on a nice show.

You did pretty darn well I'd say. I've never had much luck with flea markets or Goodwill stores around here.

Rod (Padrographs) said...

Mark, send me a list of books that you are looking for and I will pull them for you. Hardbacks are just a $1.50.

Brett Alan said...

My mother loved Andy Williams, too. She had a bunch of his albums, first on vinyl (I still have a couple) and later on 8-track. His version of “My Way” was her favorite. My parents’ song, though, was “It’s All In The Game” by Tommy Edwards.

That ‘65 Gibson is an amazing pickup.

Fuji said...

hackenbush - the hollywood cards are really cool. i'm tempted to buy a box just to complete my set. i was stoked to find the two 65's. can't pass up vintage hall of famers for under a dime.

nick - yeah. i was pretty stoked to find that little nugget.

the lost collector - add it to your bucket list and let's do it ;)

johnnys trading spot - i was happy to see the devers, since i don't think i have any of his rookie cards. the couple will be back in august. i gotta remember to bring a cart just in case they have more of those $1 boxes.

chris - wonder is a great story. my students were the ones telling me to read it a few years ago. i think your daughter will love it.

jupiterhill - i would have bought more from the couple, but didn't want to carry it around :)

wes moore - yeah... it's really cool. i'm forever in debt to you, so i'll send it your way.

commishbob - that's some cool trivia. i was surprised that i knew so many of his songs. i've offered a lot of bloggers a free tour of bay area flea markets. i'll extend the offer to you too the next time you're in the area

rod - books are way too expensive to ship buddy, but i'm excited to check out your bookstore this summer when i visit portland.

bret alan - didn't realize andy williams was so popular. i'll have to listen to his version of "my way" after i'm done commenting. the gibson is really beat up, but i just couldn't beat the price.

P-town Tom said...

I agree. That was my favorite, too!

Jon said...

Those people are crazy! I'm kind of surprised that they're not just giving everything away for free. And I see comic book boxes back there, I can't even imagine what ridiculously low price that they are selling those for (please don't tell me, seriously!).

Chris P said...

I love the old sports cards magazines finds. I really wish I had kept all my Becketts just to look back at them and reminisce. I always loved reading the Readers Write and the articles. I haven't looked at a current Beckett in years

Twitch said...

Whoa, that 12 for a dollar haul was absolutely unreal! Also add me to the list of folks drooling over that gorgeous Murrell shoe patch. Also also, if the Spidey set ever becomes available, lmk. Same probably goes for the Marvel cards in the big box if any are from 1993 or later. Loves me some mid-'90s comic cards & have always lamented never being able get any as a kid.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I think we need to see a Dark Crystal pack opening!!!

Jeff Laws said...

I don't know how you walked away with only one $1 box? I wouldn't be able to resist buying them all, even if I didn't need them.

Fuji said...

jon - i didn't even look through the comic book boxes, since i don't really know my comic book values. but there are a lot of comic book guys who go out to the flea market around here, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that these boxes have been picked through. i could be wrong though.

chris - i recycled about 200 becketts last year (mostly 2000's issues). i skimmed the articles before i did though. lack of storage forces me to target only 80's and 90's ones these days.

twitch - the oversized spidey set is a keeper... since i love me some carnage and venom. however there are a bunch of 1993 skybox marvel universe series iv if you're interested.

sumomenkoman - it's yours buddy. your collection is super unique, so i never know what to get you. ;)

jeff laws - they're too heavy to lug around the flea market. if i had a cart, i would have bought them all :)