30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Lots of Luck!

When it rains... it pours.  At least that's how I feel when it comes to contest winnings.  I recently won two different card blog contests.


The first one involved a popular Blog Bat-Around over at Waiting 'til Next YearP-town Tom asked bloggers to write about their favorite card of 2018 and offered two random winners blaster boxes of 2019 Topps Series 1.  Thanks to a unique way of selecting a winner that involved an integer set generator, I won.  This was sort of a blessing in disguise since I didn't have any plans on purchasing any 2019 Topps, but I've really been enjoying reading everyone's product reviews.

Here are my five favorite cards from the box along with a few of my thoughts on the product:


This card has been written about on several blogs and I haven't gotten sick of looking at it.  I'm usually an action shot junkie, but there's a place in our hobby for dugout snapshots and this one is a masterpiece.

Speaking of action...


The Calhoun is possibly a bat flip... and definitely well-cropped action shot.  And the Stroman might be zoomed in, but it captures an interesting body contortion.

Here's my nomination for subset of the year:


I would have rather pulled the Oakland Coliseum, but this card features a beautiful shot of Fenway.

And finally... a new addition to my Kershaw collection:


Thanks Tom for hosting this Blog Bat-Around and the generous contest!  

The other contest win involved a Rose Bowl contest over at Stadium Fantasium.  I tried to access the site to help me remember the exact details of the contest, but it was down for maintenance while I was writing this post.

I think it involved predicting the final score of the Rose Bowl or something like that.  Whatever the circumstances, I was the first place winner and was able to choose three prizes.  I ended up picking three of the 2018 Topps LA Dodgers 60th Anniversary SGA Packs:


Each of these packs contain seven player cards, along with the header card seen in this photo.  The cards resemble something from Topps Archives and utilize the 1965, 1977, 1985, 1994, 2001, and 2018 Topps designs.  As soon as I get my hands on the other three packs, I'll do a review of the entire set.

He also included a 2019 Rose Bowl Program:


My cousin attended UW, so I grew up cheering for the Huskies.  Unfortunately their 4th quarter comeback fell short and the Buckeyes walked away with a 28-23 victory.

He also included five souvenir cups from the game:


And a 2019 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Program:


I honestly don't know much about this game, but it'll be interesting to see how many players listed in this program get drafted in April.

Thank you Andy for all of these awesome Rose Bowl goodies... and the cool Dodger SGA cards.  I've been wanting to get my hands on some of these cards since the first time I read about them.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

18 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I was hoping to see the Dodger cards.

Big Tone said...

Congrats,Fuji!

P-town Tom said...

Nice pull on the Kershaw manu-relic!
I hadn't seen the Stroman card yet. That one is well framed!

Mark Hoyle said...

Nice Keyshaw. I do like the shot of Fenway. You will have to visit one day. It’s in a fun neighborhood as well. Crammed into a few blocks of an old City

Collecting Cutch said...

Awesome Kershaw. Congrats on the winnings

Section 36 said...

Gotta love any card showing Section 36!

Peter K Steinberg said...

Wonderful to see the fruits of your winnings! Couldn't have happened to a better person! I do like the ballpark baseball cards in this years set. It's wonderful.

Base Card Hero said...

Congrats, Fuji! Well deserved.

kirk said...

those are cool socks votto has on

acrackedbat said...

congrats! The panoramic stadium shots are gorgeous! While I'm not purchasing Flagship this year, I will put this group of cards together.

night owl said...

You've seen them on my blog!

bbcardz said...

Hey Mark, I'm glad you liked your Rose Bowl contest winnings. Congrats on winning P-Town Tom's contest and the Kershaw relic, too. btw, my site is back up, woohoo!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Congrats and cool memorabilia!

Matt said...

Congrats!

Adam Kaningher said...

That's some good luck!

Bulldog said...

The cards you highlighted really are nice looking cards. I like this year's set and keep seeing more and more nice cards and folks keep posting. Congratulations!

Dion's IP Autos only said...

As an Angels fan and with the season Calhoun had last year that bat flip was probably a fly out to right! SMH here's to hoping new season and he gets back on track for a great season which I thought was the direction of his career until last season........

Fuji said...

john miller - i'll show them off as soon as I track down the three remaining sets. hoping to grab them off of eBay one of these days.

night owl - thanks. i want to see which cards i'm missing

big tone - thanks

p-town tom - thanks again for the contest.

mark hoyle - i really, really, really want to go. it's on the bucket list.

collecting cutch - thanks. was really happy to pull someone i actually collect.

section 36 - you should get a bunch of these cards and sign them for fellow bloggers ;)

peter k steinberg - thank you for the kind words. yeah... those stadium cards are one of my favorite things about this product.

base card hero - thank you kind sir.

kirk - had to do a double take, but yes they are.

julie owens - i doubt i'll buy any either (unless there's a big rookie i want to pull). but i'll eventually buy a factory set, since i like this year's design

bbcardz - thanks again for hosting this contest! the only thing that would have been better is if the huskies won the game ;)

sumomenkoman - thanks ryan!

sport card collectors - thanks!

adam kaningher - when it rains it pours

bulldog - there were plenty of cards i thought were way too zoomed in, but oh well. maybe topps will see this post and see that some of us appreciate well cropped action shots

dion's ip autos only - i tried to find out the specific game for that photo, but wasn't able to.