30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 17, 2018

The Other Space Saga

Forty years ago, one of my favorite childhood television shows premiered on September 17th, 1978.

Compared to Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica doesn't get nearly the same press in the media or on this blog.

That being said... I wanted to finally give it the respect it deserves.  I may not have a lot of BSG memorabilia in my collection, but I did manage to pick up these two signed figures a few years back:

2012 Bif Bang Pow! Battlestar Galactica Series 1 Capt. Apollo
Signed by Richard Hatch

2012 Bif Bang Pow! Battlestar Galactica Series 1 Lt. Starbuck
Signed by Dirk Benedict

Both of these figures were produced in the popular 70's Mego style.  Unfortunately, I don't remember owning any growing up.  I was more of a Kenner Star Wars guy.

However I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab these when Entertainment Earth had these on sale a few years ago.  According to their site, these figures were signed at the 2012 San Diego Comic Con and limited to 200 pieces.

Another piece of BSG memorabilia that I own is this comic book released back in 1979:

Marvel Battlestar Galactica #1 March 1979

When I was a kid, I did have a big stack of comic books, but I don't think I owned this issue.  I found this copy at the De Anza Flea Market back in 2014 for two bucks.  It's not worth a lot, but it's a cool display piece.

Next up is this 1978 Wonder Bread set I picked up off of eBay last year for $5 (+ $2.85 shipping).




This is another blast from the past.  I don't remember these cards specifically, however I do remember finding cards in loaves of Wonder Bread.  Wonder also produced Star Wars, football, and other trading cards back in the 70's for kids like myself to collect.

Last, but certainly not least is this custom card created by Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown:


Back in 2016, Gavin held a contest on his blog and the winner got to pick a subject for his Ginter Pretty Girls custom set.  I went with Grace Park, who played Sharon Valerii on the Battlestar Galactica reboot.  If I had to pick a celebrity crush, it would definitely be her.

Well that wraps up another collection established by a positive memory from my childhood.  Due to limited finances and other hobbies, I don't anticipate it growing much more.  But there are two things I'd like to add one day...

#1:  Rittenhouse Battlestar Galactica Grace Park Autograph
#2:  1978 Topps Battlestar Galactica Set w/Stickers

Until then...

Happy Anniversary BSG fans and sayonara!

12 comments:

Matt said...

What's with the characters under Benedict's signature? Is he implying he got paid "star money"?

sg488 said...

It's "Star Buck" his characters name.

Baltmoss68 said...

Nice signed figures! Nicer figure on Ms Park!!! Isn’t she on Hawaii 5-O?

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Grace park, mmmh. Also, back in the day Princess Ardala would get a mmmh too.

Section 36 said...

Those are fun items!

night owl said...

I remember the interest in class when Battlestar Galactica debuted on ABC. Looking back on that show, it does not hold up well AT ALL.

Corky said...

I remember just bits and pieces from the show, I was 6 when it came out, but I remember having the Mego dolls and the Viper and Cylones ship.

Jafronius said...

Nice figures! I remember thinking how similar the Cylons' eyes were to KITT on Knight Rider.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

I was a smart-assed teenager and science fiction nerd when BG premiered, so I was going to watch it even if I wan't impressed by it. I thought the Cylons were cool and rooted for them (I knew they wouldn't win, but still). I hated Boxy and his stupid Daggit, but I was clearly not the target audience for those two.

I just saw that Grace Park is on a new show called "A Million Little Things" which seems a bit too "This Is Us" for me... but still... it's Grace Park.

Fuji said...

matt - nice guess matt.

sg488 - thanks for helping matt out

baltmoss68 - she was. pretty sure she left the show a few years ago. i only watched a few episodes. i'm more of a space nerd guy.

john miller - had to look up princess ardala, but i recognized her immediately. nice call.

section 36 - thanks

night owl - the reboot they did in the 2000's is pretty good. if space dramas are your cup of tea

corky - i totally had the viper and cylon raider... with the red missiles that fired out

jafronius - totally. i'm sure that the creators of knight rider borrowed that idea.

the shlabotnik report - wasn't a fan of boxy, but i did like daggit back in the day. as for grace park, i'll look the show up and give it at least one episode. in honor of my celebrity crush.

acrackedbat said...

i had Hatch and Benedict pinned to my wall back in the day. these figurines actually resemble them. very cool addition, esp with Hatch passing recently.

Fuji said...

Don't think I knew about his passing. That's so sad. As for posters, I didn't have one for BSG, but if I did, it'd feature Maren Jensen (Athena).