30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, March 26, 2018

Never Say Never

About twelve months ago, I accepted Tony's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge.  If you read my first post, then you know that there was no way I'd be able to complete it in 30 days.  30 weeks seemed to be much more realistic.

Well... it's been 51 weeks and I still need to complete two challenges: Day #29 and Day #30.

Since I hate to leave things unfinished... especially challenges, I decided to sit down and hammer out my Day 29 submission, which is to write about a favorite card before 1950, whether you own it or not.

I struggled to choose a card for this challenge, because there isn't a single card that truly stands out.  Part of the problem was deciding if the card would be one of those "never gonna own it" cards or something that I might actually dig into my wallet and purchase.

I decided to target the latter category:

1933 DeLong #7 Lou Gehrig

One of my favorite baseball movies of all-time is Pride of the Yankees, which focuses on The Iron Horse's life.  And since I was a little kid, I've been fascinated by Mr. Gehrig.

Issued the same year as his Goudey rookie card, I tend to favor this card's design over the more popular and expensive Goudey.  

I've never actually a copy of this card in person, but I have seen the Jimmie (spelled Jimmy on the card) Foxx.  They have the same (or at least very similar) backgrounds, so I can assume that the Gehrig is just as beautiful in person.


I'm not going to say that there's a good chance that I'll ever own this card... but unlike a T206 Wagner... there's a chance.  Like Whitney Houston,Mariah Carey, and the One Voice Children's Choir once said, "there can be miracles, when you believe":


I choose to believe.

Next Tuesday marks the one year anniversary of me starting this challenge.  I'm hoping to publish my Day 30 response before then.  In the meantime...


Hey Tony, any plans to start a 2018 version of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge?

Everyone else, let's help Tony out...


What are some challenges you'd like to see people write about if Tony chooses to throw down the gauntlet again in 2018?

Happy Monday and sayonara!



Last-Ditch Effort

Colbey Hopper over at Cardboard Connections is hosting an affordable group break that's guaranteed to include 20 hits (autographs or relics)!


For $18, you will receive two teams.  You get to pick the first team and the second team will be randomized after the break has been filled.  He'll be busting these two boxes:  2004 Topps Clubhouse Collection and 2002 Topps Gallery.

All cards will be shipped and the break will be posted live on Facebook on SaturdayMarch 31st2018 at 9pm Eastern.  Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the break.  If you're interested, click here.

10 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

Was that really a year ago? Wow, time flies fast af.

I remember how when I did the challenge I pretty much skipped the "player I dislike and yet like" category because players I dislike are rapists, domestic abusers or other such things that no one could ever "like" and pretty much replaced it with "favorite cards received via trades".

Commishbob said...

I saw the title...saw the graded DeLong Gehrig and for just a split second I thought "OMG Fuji hit the Powerball!!!"

Matt said...

I didn't get to do the 30 day challenge. I pretyp my posts up

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

You can do it!

flywheels said...

I remember that 30 day challenge...it was fun!

Collecting Cutch said...

That would be an amazing card to own.

Hackenbush said...

I think even all the Yankees haters would like to own that Gehrig. :)

Jon said...

I was thinking of something similar as well.

Kin said...

I think I crapped out on it about halfway through the days. I love your sticktoitiveness!

Fuji said...

zippy zappy - i know, right? "favorite cards received via trades" is an excellent topic.

commishbob & jon - lol. i wish

sport card collectors - if you ever run out of blog material, you might want to think about doing it. it's never too late.

john miller - if i win the lottery, than i will do it!

colbey hopper - yeah, gave me writing material for 28 posts last year ;)

collecting cutch - one day. one day.

hackenbush - i can't stand the yankees, but there's nothing i dislike about gehrig other than he was a yankee

kin - never too late to rekindle the flame.