30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Admiring the Scenery

Allergy season has officially arrived.  Well... at least in my household.  Last night an itchy throat and a terrible headache kept me up into the wee hours of the morning, so I decided to catch up on some reading.

Commishbob was showing off more of his TCMA Stars of the 60's singles and I was blown away by his ability to identify baseball stadiums featured in the background of his cards.  Actually there are a bunch of you who share this skill and I've got to admit... I'm kinda jealous.

There are really only two baseball stadiums that I feel confident in pointing out on cards.  Both are from my childhood... but only one of them is still around to enjoy.

I started attending San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's games back in the 70's and have fond memories at both Candlestick Park and the Oakland Coliseum.  That's why I enjoy looking at 70's baseball cards so much.  I get a chance to see photographs of both stadiums the way I remember them as a kid.

I recently received a PWE from Adam over at Cardboard Clubhouse and he included this awesome 1973 Topps card of Gene Tenace that features the beautiful Coliseum in the background.

1972 World Series MVP

It's truly a beautiful sight to take in.  These days fans are treated to the monstrosity known as Mount Davis instead.

Adam also included these two 70's team cards which show the Coliseum from another angle:


Thank you Adam for helping me take a trip down memory lane.  If things work out for A's fans... we'll have a new stadium to watch games at and there'll be a new background for photographers.  And that'll be one more reason to appreciate 70's baseball cards.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

4 comments:

Nick said...

I'm pretty terrible at ID'ing stadiums myself if it's not Wrigley or Fenway.

Old Cards said...

Great looking Gene Tenace card. Classic close up of a player in a batting stance with a nice ballpark background.

Hackenbush said...

Yeah, I don't know how those identi-freaks do it. I know Wrigley (but you don't have to be a genius to know that one). I think I can probably only identify a four trees, maybe five. I still love the old A's uniforms.

Fuji said...

nick - nice call. i can identify wrigley and fenway (well the green monster at least) too.

bill white - i agree. i'm thinking about trying to get it signed through the mail.

hackenbush - a few years ago, i picked up one of these yellow jerseys. i'm too fat to wear it though. as soon as i lose weight, i'll start wearing it again.