30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, December 5, 2015

America's Most Beautiful Couple


Okay... they might be have a few extra wrinkles and are approaching sixty years in age... but I don't care.  I love me some '56 Topps baseball cards.  Even Billy Crystal himself would say they look marvelous!

And just like the famous pair of mice that happen to share these ballplayers' names, this awesome couple bring a smile to my face every time I open up my vintage binder.


These two combined to play in sixteen all-star games.  At the plate, the combined to clobber 358 home runs and collected over 4,000 hits.  The couple also won one World Series ring, two batting titles, three Gold Gloves, and three stolen base titles.

To top it off... both of these guys happen to be members of a very elite group.  Only nineteen MLB position players have had careers spanning four decades... and Mickey and Minnie are two of them.

Happy 114th Birthday Walt Disney!  These two cards are dedicated to you.  Everyone else...

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the second day in a row I've read something about Walt Disney... Yesterday I was reading an article that referenced his death as a key event of 1966.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Topps missed the boat in 2005 (and other years) by not putting players' nicknames in quotes... "SAMMY" SOSA, "RANDY" JOHNSON...

Zippy Zappy said...

I thought America's most beautiful couple was burgers and fries?

JediJeff said...

And I thought it had a Kardashian in it. Shows what we know.

Matt said...

Nice!