30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Two Six Packs and a Prediction

The whole week I was planning on doing a special Kenner SLU card post for Chris (The Collector) and Jafronius.  But things fell apart after I discovered that I only had four cards featuring today's Super Bowl participants... which seemed a little underwhelming.  

Instead... I figured I'd show off six Kansas City Chiefs and six Philadelphia Eagles from my collection and then use them to help predict the Super Bowl winner.  Now I don't really have a preference in today's game.  If this game took place back in the 80's or 90's, I would have rooted for the Eagles since I was a fan of this guy...

1986 McDonalds Black Tab #12

Randall Cunningham was really fun to watch and I literally spent over an hour digging through boxes looking for his 1987 Topps rookie card, but ended up having to use this card instead.

Now I could have dug up the lone Patrick Mahomes rookie card I own to go up against Randall, but I decided to go vintage instead:

1968 Topps #171

Len was a little bit before my time, but I've heard my dad talk about him.  My parents attended Super Bowl I where Dawson completed one touchdown pass.  At the time my parents were big Green Bay Packers fans, so they were happy to see Dawson and the Chiefs lose.

Earlier in the week, I asked my father who he would be rooting for today and like me... he didn't have a preference.

Here's my oldest Philadelphia Eagles card of a hall of famer:

1968 Topps #162

Honestly didn't know Ditka played for the Eagles, but that's the team name is on this card.

2013 Topps Archives Fan Favorites Auto #FFA-CO

The Nigerian Nightmare is my favorite Kansas City Chief of all-time.  This guy was fun to watch.

1999 Topps Chrome Refractor #147

Donovan McNabb was another guy that was fun to watch.  He's right behind Randall as my all-time favorite Eagle.

1984 Topps #89

This dude intercepted Dave Krieg four times in a single game back in the mid 80's.  Gotta admire greatness... even if it's at the hands of your favorite team.

1986 Topps #275

I'm sure most football fans remember The Minister of Defense for his time with the Eagles... but I followed him much more closely during his time with the Packers.  This has to be one of the greatest free agent signings in franchise history.

1989 Score #258

Like Reggie, Thomas terrorized quarterbacks.  Sadly... like Reggie, Thomas passed away way too early in life.

2014 Five Star Rainbow Autograph #FSA-LM

This is the youngest player in this post.  I actually had several Eagles autographs to choose from (Bill Bergey, Chuck Bednarik, and Harold Carmichael), but decided to pick McCoy.  He's here for any football fans reading this post under the age of thirty.

2000 Bowman Reserve Autographs #TG

Travis Kelce might wind up being the greatest tight end in Kansas City Chiefs franchise history, but if he does... he'll need to pass this guy who some consider to be one of the greatest in NFL history.

2001 Archives Reprint Stadium Seat Relics #AS-SJ

Like Ditka, I didn't realize Jurgensen was an Eagle.  But I really wanted to include this card in the post, because it contains a sliver of wood from Shibe Park... which was once the home of the Athletics.

2016 Panini Classic Material #8

Did you know that there are only four kickers enshrined in Canton Stenerud is one of them.  I wanted to round out this post with a kicker, because in a perfect world... tonight's game will go down to a last second field goal.

As of yesterday, the line was close with the Eagles favored by 1.5 points.  But as promised at the start of the post, I'd let the cards predict the outcome.  The easiest way was to look up each player's AV (Approximate Value) on Football Reference, add up the numbers, and see who has the highest sum.

Here ya go...

Randall Cunningham (137)
Mike Ditka (67)
Donovan McNabb (138)
Reggie White (231)
LeSean McCoy (104)
Sonny Jurgensen (136)
Philadelphia Eagles Total:  813

Len Dawson (143)
Christian Okoye (37)
Deron Cherry (92)
Derrick Thomas (131)
Tony Gonzalez (147)
Jan Stenerud (78)
Kansas City Chiefs Total: 628

It's obviously not scientific... but if you believe the cards, the Eagles will win their 2nd Super Bowl Championship in franchise history.

Here is today's question of the day...

Who is your all-time favorite Chief?  Favorite Eagle?

Happy Super Bowl Sunday and sayonara!

17 comments:

John Sharp said...

Favorite Eagles player, Randy Logan.
Favorite Chiefs player, Elvis Grbac.

Go Blue !

Jafronius said...

Woo a shout out! I have no dog in this race either, so I hope for a fun game, although I'll be asleep for half of it. I guess I'd say Mahomes and McNabb as my favorites.

And how would the numbers change if you used Mahomes instead of Oyoke?

Chris said...

Fantastic collection here, Shady and Sonny in particular. I didn't know that Ditka was ever an Eagle, either. And what's that logo on the Len Dawson card? It looks like a superhero running to save whatever landmass that's supposed to be behind him or her -- while taking a selfie.

I'm semi-cheering for Kansas City tonight because I'd like to see Mahomes and Kelce get another ring, but I don't dislike the Eagles. I'm just not familiar with their roster (which is odd considering where I live).

Like you, my favorite all-time Eagles are Randall and Reggie. My favorite KC star all time might be the aforementioned Mahomes/Kelce tandem, or Derrick Thomas. Tony Gonzalez is up there was well.

Thanks for trying on that SLU list. Maybe you could save them for the season opener in September :D

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Your parents were at the first Superbowl?! Cool! I'd probably go with Bednarik, even though he was before my time. And maybe Tony Gonzalez?

Jeremya1um said...

I loved Dante Hall of the Chiefs. He was a lock to return a kick for a TD every game during his prime and lived up to his nickname the Joystick.
For the Eagles, I’ve been more of a hater than a fan as they have had bad blood between my favorite NFL team (Bucs) for a while. If I had to pick, I’d say Michael Vick, who in his prime could rush into the end zone from midfield if he wanted to.

Billy Kingsley said...

My favorite Eagle is the AMC station wagon from the early 80s 😂

Brett Alan said...

I recently watched the Randall Cunningham episode of A Football Life with my Dad. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

The Snorting Bull said...

Favorite Eagles Player: Randall Cunninghan or Rickey Watters
Favorite Chiefs Player: I don't know if I really have a favorite Chiefs player. Maybe Nick Bolton.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I believe your method of prediction is about s good as any other way. Good luck.

Angus said...

Well, you got your late field goal to win the game.

Favorite Eagles player - former Browns Center, Steve Everitt. I met him in the parking lot after a game in Philadelphia while he was an Eagle.

Favorite Chiefs player - Okoye would have been my favorite up until a couple of years ago, but now it is Travis Kelce.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Favorite Chief has to be Joe Montana. Winning by a field goal in the last few seconds. You got that right! What a game.

Matt said...

Can't pick a favorite Eagle, glad they lost.

As for Chiefs, I really dig Mahomes. He has some magic and thrives when it matters most

GTT said...

"tonight's game will go down to a last second field goal."

You certainly got that right! I wasn't rooting for either team - I like both Mahomes and Jalen Hurts and didn't want to choose. I just watched the last 10 minutes - but that was crazy enough.

CaptKirk42 said...

Very Nice Jurgensen Archives relic card showing his 1958 Topps Rookie Card.

gcrl said...

i think my favorite eagle was probably ron jaworski. maybe harold carmichael. i didn't pay much attention to them back when i followed football - i know those guys from their cards in the late 70s.

favorite chief was marcus allen. really followed him as a raider and so kept an eye on him when he went to kansas city.

like gtt, i only watched the last few minutes of the game. i was happy with the outcome but didn't have strong feelings either way.

sg488 said...

Chief- Joe Montana,Eagle-Herm Edwards.

Bulldog said...

Patrick Mahomes is my favorite. A Texas Tech alum I've always been a fan. Bill Kenney and Joe Delaney after that. Harold Carmichael is my favorite Eagle. Jason Kelce after him.