30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Z-Word

1995 was the peak or crowning point for the word "zenith".  According to the Collins Dictionary, "zenith" is the time when something is most successful or powerful.

1955 Bowman #199

Now up until that year, I had always associated the Z-word with televisions.  But that all changed in 1995.  That's when Pinnacle (which is synonymous with "zenith") released its Zenith line of trading cards as a way of competing with other card manufacturers' high end products.  From that moment on... the Z-Word made me think of sports cards instead of electronics.

Unfortunately back then... I was still in college with only a part-time job, so I had to pick and choose what I opened.  I can't remember opening any packs of Zenith that year, but I was the guy who hung out at my LCS watching others busting open the stuff.

The Z-Team inserts were the cards most collectors were hoping to pull.  They utilized Pinnacle's popular Dufex technology and the checklist included big names like Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, and Barry Bonds.  But the biggest draw was their perceived rarity.  Seeded at 1 in every 72 packs, people weren't guaranteed to pull them from a box (of 24 packs).  Plus there were 18 cards in the set, so if you were lucky enough to pull a big name... it meant you pulled something pretty special.

Remember this wasn't a low-end product.  According to Baseballcardpedia... packs had an MSRP of $5.  It wouldn't surprise me if guys like Griffey and Ripken commanded triple digits at card shows and card shops.  These inserts were released right around the time eBay was starting up and online card exchanges were still in their infancy stage, which meant collectors didn't have instant access to specific players.

1995 Zenith Z-Team #12

I honestly don't remember if the Tony Gwynn popped up in my area.  If it did, I didn't buy it for one reason or another.  Over the years, the card joined the plethora of 90's inserts that got lost in the shuffle and forgotten over time.


A few months ago, I decided to add it to my saved eBay searches.  Can't remember what jogged my memory.  Maybe it was a blog post of yours or a YouTube video.  Regardless... I sat around and waited for a copy to fall into my budget which was around $10.  Then two weeks ago, I finally added it to my collection with a winning bid of $5.58 (+ $4.77 tax & shipping).  I went 35¢ over budget... but I can live with that.

By the way... fans of Zenith are still in luck.  Panini has produced baseball, football, and racing Zenith products as recently as 2021.  But to me... Zenith products and the Z-word itself peaked back in 1995.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Dennis said...

Hell yeah! Zenith + Mr. Padre = radical!

Jon said...

It would be nice if more people would use the Standard Shipping option.

Chris said...

Those were tough pulls, and very popular. I was hoping you snagged the Gwynn for under $20 so scrolling down a bit to see you got it for just over $10 made me happy. That is a great deal indeed!

Jeremya1um said...

One of my step-Grandmothers sons worked at a gas station that sold cards, and one year for Christmas he got me 2 ‘95 Zenith packs. He was hoping I’d pull a Z Team card. I didn’t, but I did pull the Hideo Nomo card with the tornado and Piazza on it. Good memories. Glad you found the Gwynn Z-Team.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

very nice gwynn

The Lost Collector said...

I don't think I actually ever saw a pack of Zenith. I was always happy to get the Tinos, but never a set I went out of my way for, even though some of the cards look nice. I like 1996 in particular.

Matt said...

Zenith is a top 5 all time favorite product from the 90s. I collected the 96 zteam sets, need the 97 and 95 ones.

The panini remakes by the way just aren't the same

Fuji said...

dennis - totally tubular!

jon - yeah... the shipping was a little pricey. at least the seller packaged the card securely and in a timely fashion

chris - at this point in my life, i'm going to start targeting specific inserts i really, really want... so i'll have to be patient with my purchases. this card was a good example.

jeremya1um - i'm guessing you're talking about the mosaic inserts. if so, those dufex inserts are nice too. nice pull.

johnnys trading spot - thanks john

the lost collector - i think the only zenith set i built from packs was the 1997-98 hockey (dare to tear). love that product. plus card shops were blowing out boxes online.

matt - the 1996 z-team inserts are gorgeous