30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Another Tasty Post

What happens when you combine 70's oddball issues with hall of fame rookie cards and slabs?  You get a triple treat.  Well... if you're a fan of these things.

1975 Hostess #80

I feel like most of my readers appreciate Kellogg's and Hostess cards from the 70's.  Some are interested in rookie cards of hall of famers.  While only a small percentage of the people who read this blog enjoy graded cardsMe?  I enjoy collecting all three.

1978 Kellogg's #25

Unfortunately after reading a post over on The Shlabotnik Report last week, I realized that there just aren't a lot of Hostess and Kellogg's "rookie cards".

I'm sure I just struck a nerve with a few baseball card purists out there who are screaming "those aren't official rookie cards!".  Relax.  Nothing to get upset about.  They were distributed during the same year their "official" rookie cards were released... so I lump them together with my rookie card collection.  

The fact is... like I mentioned earlier... there aren't a lot out there to track down anyways.

1976 Kellogg's #19

When it comes to baseball, I might be mistaken, but I think the only card I'm missing is Eckersley's 1976 Hostess card.  That being said... there are a few hall of fame "rookie cards" in the 1970 Kellogg's football set.

1977 Hostess #48
1977 Kellogg's #26

When it comes to 70's oddball "rookie cards" I also own these two Fidrych cardsThe Bird might not be a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, but he is a member of the National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame.

And if you're willing to step outside of the Hostess and Kellogg's realm... I also have this graded copy of Dave Winfield's McDonald's "rookie card":

1974 McDonald's Padres #NNO

Well that's all the treats I have for you now.  Here's your question of the day...

If you could only have one of the following categories for the rest of your life, which would it be?  Hostess snack cakes, Kellogg's cereal, or McDonald's fast food.

And what are you favorite items from each of these categories?

Considering that I might eat a Hostess item once a year and I don't usually buy any of the cereals on Kellogg's current lineup... I'll have to say McDonald's.

As for my favorites:

Hostess Snack CakesCoffee Cakes
Kellogg's CerealCorn Flakes
McDonald's Menu ItemFries

Okay after talking about all of this tasty food... it's time to lay down for a nap.

By the way... even though I wrote this post three days ago... you should know that I typically take a quick nap on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons right around 3 o'clock.

Happy Election Day and sayonara!

17 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

McDonald's - chocolate shake

I don't see the point of food brands that don't put their logo on the front. Quaker, I believe, had the dude's face on the front. But Twizzler cards looked just like regular cards.

Brett Alan said...

I'm definitely of the opinion that things like that 1975 Hostess Robin Yount should be considered rookie cards. Hostess and Kellogg's were the second and third biggest sets in the US at that time. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that the true Maury Wills rookie is his 1961 Post, not 1963 Fleer.

Kellogg's cereal, easy call. I don't *really* need any of them, as long as there are competing brands, but cereal is the only one I buy regularly. I guess Corn Pops are my favorite from them. Hostess I never buy--if I do get snack cakes I go the cheap route with Little Debbie. But I'd never say no to Suzy Qs.

I can't remember the last time I was in a McDonald's in the US, probably more than a decade ago. But when I'm in Singapore I do grab an ice cream cone from there fairly often. That's about it unless my wife is jonesing for chicken nuggets or something.

acrackedbat said...

I don't eat much fast food nor snack cakes. Those are poison to me. I can't eat just one ding dong. Hostess Snack Cakes: Ding Dongs Kellogg's Cereal: Raisin Bran McDonald's Menu Item: Fries/McChicken (tied) I'd eat cereal over the other two if forced to choose. It's time I chased down a mint copy of the Kelloggs Bird.

Jeremya1um said...

I would probably choose McDonalds. I’ve preferred Little Debbie stuff over Hostess, and most of the store brand cereals are pretty close to the brand name cereals.
My favorite Hostess snack would be Zingers. I’ve never really payed attention to what companies make what cereals. I’ve always liked Frosted Flakes, Captain Crunch, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Maybe one of those is a Kellogg’s one. For McDonalds, it would probably be fries. They can be hit or miss, but more often than not, they are good. Chicken nuggets are a close second.

night owl said...

Rookie cards and '70s food issues just don't seem to go together. They seem too fancy for such scrappy baseball card sets (same with graded versions). But to each his own.

Out of the three you named, I rarely eat any of them anymore. But chocolate snack cakes would be my choice.

runfore!kelloggs baseball cards said...

That is a difficult question to answer for me. As long as I've got milk I'll go with the Kellogg's cereals. But, if I've got refrigeration, the Ho-Hos, Cup Cakes and Suzy-Qs might taste pretty good. If you haven't tried them cold do so soon.

sg488 said...

McDonald's -Breakfast-Sausage egg mcmuffin's. Lunch/Dinner- Fries.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

McD's. Cupcakes, all cereal, McDoubles

Matt said...

I have a weakness for McDonald's breakfast sandwiches.

Grant said...

That Winfield disc is a beauty! To answer your question, I guess I'd say Hostess Donettes.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Tough choice! Nice cards. I have a sweet tooth that won't quit, so I have to go for Hostess. Even though I don't eat them any longer.

Sean said...

I love those Kellogs and Hostess sets from the 70s, I have a few singles kicking around somewhere but might someday try to complete them.

And those cards are TOTALLY their rookie cards too! Not sure why cards distributed with gum would take precedence over cards distributed with other snacks on that count!

In answer to your question I'd go with Hostess for the simple reason that it is the only one of those 3 which I can't get here in Japan!

Fuji said...

elliptical man - haven't had a mcdonald's shake in a long, long time. might need to do something about that. never took the time to appreciate the kellogg's logo on the 1978 design until you wrote this comment. thanks.

bret alan - ooh... a 1961 post wills. gonna have to look into that card. as for cereal... i love it and could eat it everyday (i don't), but i'm more of a general mills guy when it comes to their selection

acrackedbat - haven't had a mcchicken in over a decade. looks like i'll have to grab one and a chocolate shake the next time i go. as for the bird, happy hunting. they're pretty affordable for being such a cool card.

jeremya1um - zingers (raspberry) and cinnamon toast crunch rule. i grab nuggets a few times a year... mainly because they're cheap and tasty

night owl - yeah... collectors are pretty divided on graded cards, but that's the beauty of collecting.

runforekelloggs - never had them cold. then again... i rarely buy ho-hos, cup cakes, or suzy-q's. next time i hit 7-11 (maybe next year) and they have a deal on ho-ho's i'll give it a shot

sg488 - oh man. forgot about mcdonald's breakfast. great call. don't think i've ordered a sausage egg mcmuffin in a long time, but i'll get a sausage biscuit b/c they're cheap. egg mcmuffins are my favorite. they're right up there with fries.

johnnys trading spot - my friend brought me a mcdouble with bacon and it was pretty darn delicious

matt - i'm so mad at myself for not thinking of their breakfast sandwiches. they're delicious

grant - they're super cheap. grabbed this copy for about the same price as a blaster right before the lockdown

peter k. steinberg - kudos to you and your willpower.

sean - up until a few months ago i was trying to wrap up a few of the kellogg's sets, but they're too expensive right now. taking a break and hope they cool off a little. and i love the gum vs. other snacks argument. no hostess in japan? i feel like tokyo would go nuts over twinkies.

Matt said...

McDonald's out of those three but man I love those kellogs cards

Adam Kaningher said...

I do have a weak spot for McDonald's hash browns and also the Filet-o-Fish sandwich.

shoeboxlegends said...

McDonald's all the way for me out of those three. Great post Fuji, these are indeed RCs in my mind, and you may have inspired me to seek out some slabbed versions like yours. BEAUTIFUL collection for sure!

Fuji said...

sport card collectors - yeah, i'd take kellogg's cards over mcdonald's any day of the week

adam kaningher - both of those items are in my top 10. filet-o-fish is in my top 5

shoeboxlegends - thanks. best of luck on picking some of these up. the good news is none of them are too expensive.