30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

One Dream Ends, Another Fulfilled

These days you can find a plethora of autographed cards signed by just about every big name in baseball.  When you combine that with the existence of auction sites, online stores, trading forums, and even blogs... you have accessibility to a high percentage of these cards at your fingertips.

But the 90's were a completely different story.  Most major card companies had started inserting certified autographs into packs of cards by the mid 90's.  But with exception of a few "autograph per pack" products like Signature Rookies and Leaf Signatures, they were typically very difficult to pull.

1992 Fleer Ultra Gwynn Commemorative #6

I can still remember opening packs of 1992 Fleer Ultra trying to build a master set with an outside chance of pulling a Tony Gwynn autograph.  This was Gwynn's first certified pack inserted card and he supposedly only signed 2,000 copies in total.  Anyways, it never happened.  Dream squashed.

However nineteen years later, I managed to finally pick one up for my collection.  I bought one in an eBay auction for $23.27 (+ $3 shipping) back 2011Dream fulfilled.

In 1996, Donruss gave Gwynn collectors another opportunity to own his signature.  They had Mr. Padre sign 1,000 cards for the Leaf Signature Extended Series plus 100 more cards for the Century Marks parallel.

1996 Leaf Signature Extended Autographs #NNO

Just like the Ultra, I had to wait nineteen years after its release to add a copy to my collection.  This one set me back a little more than the Ultra.  I won it for $39.38 (+ $3 shipping) in another eBay auction.  Dream fulfilled.

Then in 1997, Gwynn opened the flood gates and signed cards for Donruss, Topps, and Upper Deck in a variety of products.

1997 Stadium Club Co-Signers #CO10

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this Co-Signers card was the first autograph of Gwynn I ever owned.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of my late 90's purchases, so I have no idea what I spent on this card.

A few weeks ago, I added another 1997 Gwynn autograph to my collection.  This is one of those cards that I remember hearing about, but never actually saw anyone with one at card shops or shows.

There might have been copies on eBay, but I didn't join the auction site until 1998.  Back in 1997, the AOL Message Boards were my only access to cards online and I doubt I would have been in the market for the card I'm about to reveal.  Why?  Well... because back in the day, Beckett had it listed for $400Tuff Stuff's book value was $450.

Back then... I had just gotten my teaching credential and was substitute teaching while searching for the right job.  No way I could afford it back then.  Honestly... I'd have a hard time dropping that much money on a card today.

1997 SP SPx Force Autographs #9

Luckily, the price has dropped quite a bit in the last twenty-three years.  Lately... the hobby has seen some 90's cards really shoot up in value.  Thankfully... this card wasn't one of them.

I won it in an auction for $91.80 (+ $4.75 shipping and $8.49 tax).  Some of you might remember that I had stockpiled some eBay gift cards (with my PayPal credit card points) in hopes of purchasing a 1973 Topps baseball card set.  That's the last set I need to complete my run of Topps flagship sets from 1972 (my birth year) to 1986 (the End of the Innocence).

Sadly current market values for the 1973 set has ended that dream, so I've decided to use those gift cards on other dreams.  The final price for this card was $5.04 after applying a $100 gift card.


I actually have mixed feelings about this "dream" card.  On one hand, I love adding another Gwynn autograph to my collection.  Plus it's hand numbered to 100, so you don't see these very often.  And the fact that this particular one features four hall of famers who are members of the 3,000 Hit Club is kinda coolKind of. 

1985 Donruss #172
1985 Donruss #359
1985 Donruss #47

On the other hand, I think it's weird seeing Boggs wearing a Yankee's hat, Molitor wearing a Twin's hat, and Murray wearing an Angel's hat.  I'll always remember them for the teams they played for during my childhood; the Red Sox, Brewers, and Orioles.

I also think it's funny that Upper Deck only had one player sign this cardHow cool would it have been if they had all four guys sign this card?  Yes, I realize that this card wouldn't have sold for under $100 had there been four signatures on it.  The bottom line is I wish this card would have just featured Gwynn on it.

I actually came pretty close to walking away from this auction.  But with the seconds ticking down, I thought about the hobby history behind this card, tapped in my max bid, and waited to see if it was meant to be.

I guess it was, because I won the auction.  I'm pretty happy to add this "dream" card to my collection.... even if it meant sacrificing another dream.  I also picked up a "dream" set (actually it's a starter set) with another gift card, but I'll share that in a future post.

What about you?


Have you ever sacrificed one hobby dream to fulfill another?


If so, feel free to comment down below.  I'd love to read your stories.

By the way... there are tons of great songs with the word "dream" in the title, but here's my favorite:



Do you have a favorite "dream" song?

It's the final week of school for me and my students.  I can't wait for summer break to begin.  Have a great week.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

17 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I gave up my "original" Coca-Cola Collection to keep my John Elway Collection.....A collection that I no longer collect (or any NFL). And I have added substantially to the new Coke Collection. Funny how things go, huh.

The Lost Collector said...

Whoa, that new Gwynn is awesome. I too did some deals back in the early AOL message board days. I was definitely too young to be doing that.

Peter K Steinberg said...

That's a nice new auto for your already impressive collection. I'm not sure if I've ever given up on one hobby dream to acquire another one. So, maybe I shouldn't be commenting...

acrackedbat said...

Amazing Gwynns ya got there! A dream card for me would be a Cobb T206. I've only ever spent more than $25 on one card twice - a Kaline rc and a card I've chased since 1995 - an Ultra Phillies Finest auto insert of Darren Daulton. I'd never seen one anywhere and never on ebay - until he died. How much you ask? Shhh. It's a secret. "Dream Weaver" Gary Wright and "Don't Dream It's Over" Crowded House. Both are favorites.

Sean said...

Oh wow, you got that 92 Ultra Gwynn for just 23$? Like you I remember opening a ton of Fleer Ultra packs that year hoping to pull a Gwynn auto, and it never happened. If I'd have known that 20 years later I could get one for 23$ I wouldn't have bothered (well, actually I probably would have anyway)!

Fleetwood Mac is good, but the best song about dreams is "Dreams" by the Cranberries IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

RunForeKelloggs said...

The girls at home watch Mama Mia! way too often so I keep hearing ABBA's "I Have a Dream".

Anonymous said...

By far, the best song about dreams is a song called Dreams, by everyone's favourite band from California - Van Halen (or Van Hagar if you prefer).
-Anonymous Paul-

gcrl said...

Out here we like The Gear Daddies' song "dream vacation in the Dells" I once sold some cards as a young teen, including a 1983 topps traded set, to buy comic books if that counts.

Nick said...

I traded almost my whole hockey card collection for a good-sized lot of baseball cards back when I was getting out of collecting hockey and back into baseball. That was about 15 years ago and it's still gotta be one of the best trades I ever made since I've never had an urge to collect hockey cards again.

(Also John Lennon's "#9 Dream" is the best dream song I can think of off the top of my head.)

night owl said...

Not only is Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" the best song with 'dream' in the title, it's one of the best songs ever, certainly Fleetwood Mac's best. Nothing mentioned above can touch it (and I really like Crowded House).

Honorable mentions: "All I Have To Do Is Dream" - Everly Brothers, "Sweet Dreams" - Eurythmics, "Dream Police" - Cheap Trick, "You Make My Dreams" - Hall and Oates, "Dreams" - Cranberries, "And Dream of Sheep" - Kate Bush, "Dreaming" - Blondie, "Dream On" - Aerosmith.

SumoMenkoMan said...

That SP SPx card is sweet. I wonder when lenticular technology is going to make a nostalgic comeback? I’m ready for it.

Reds Card Collector said...

That Fleer Ultra Gwynn is a sweet card Fuji. I've toyed around with the idea of putting together a collection of certified autographs of hall of famers and that card would definitely make a nice addition if I decided to start that project.

friend11 said...

Great Gwynn Autos

GCA said...

Great auto's. I've definitely "leveled up" in the stuff I can afford over the years, so the only "dream card" I still have is a T205 Mathewson. When the shows come back, I'll solve that one too.

First song thoughts - Heart "These Dreams" and Badlands "Dreams In The Dark" but you can't get the latter one on CD anywhere.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - hope to see lots of posts featuring your coke collection in the future

the lost collector - those were the good old days. glad it was part of my collecting timeline

peter k steinberg - your comments are always welcome here!

acrackedbat - hope you end up with a t206 cobb one day. in the meantime, a kaline rookie and daulton ultra autograph are solid cards to keep you company

sean - i wish i could find the other 9 cards for $23 each ;) btw... that's a great song.

runforekelloggs - familiar with abba, but hadn't heard that song until today

anonymous paul - i might have actually used that song on a blog post in the past. although i prefer 70's van halen over their 80's stuff... i still do enjoy that song

gcrl - never heard of the group or the song, but it's not bad. hope you got some killer comics, because that traded set is flippin' awesome

nick - oh man. hadn't heard that song in years. i remember hearing that song and cracking up while singing it. oh to be young and immature again. as for trading in your hockey, i considered doing the same with my basketball cards. i have a buddy who loves basketball and was willing to give me his baseball. i didn't pull the trigger and i'm kinda glad i kept it, because jordans and kobes have soared in value... while my a's and padres collection has steadily dropped in value in recent years

night - it's good to know we have a lot of stuff in common. 1975 topps. jackie robinson, 70's and 80's kellogg's, and now "dreams". dream police, sweet dreams, and dream on are also classics. i also really love seeing kate bush receive some props. i love her voice.

sumomenkoman - you know me... i'll never turn down a lenticular set. i say bring it on.

reds card collector - i really love that card, because it's his first. the only downside is that there are 9 other cards in that set that he signed. but that's good news for you. you can pick which photograph you like best

friend11 - thank you!

gca - best of luck with that t205 mathewson. you're definitely a few levels higher than me. these dreams by heart is a great song. one of those songs i memorized years ago and can sing along with when it pops up on the radio

Bulldog said...

Sweet cards and those seem like great deals on those first two Gwynn autos. Fun post. "These Dreams" and "Dream Warriors" come to mind for songs. Both are favorites.

The Snorting Bull said...

Those Gwynn autographs were awesome. I love that Donruss one, that's a great card. I do not know if I have a dream card, more a running list of 5-10 cards that I really want. Favorite Dreams song would have to be "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics.