30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, July 29, 2019

On the Brightside

Whenever I sit down with other teachers and reminisce about former students, it always seems easier to remember the ones who were more challenging than the ones who were the teacher's pet.  I think it has to do with the number of positive student experiences far exceeds the negative.  Or maybe I just think I'm an optimistic guy, but really I'm pessimistic.

2017 Topps Definitive Autograph Relics #DCAR-RH

Why am I questioning myself?  Well... whenever I think of
Rickey Henderson... one of the first things that pops into my head is the trade that sent him to the New York Yankees back in December 1984.

However I rarely even think about the trade the sent him back to the A's in the Summer of 1989 which helped the Athletics win the World Series that year.

This morning I was reading an article about some of the biggest MLB Trade Deadline deals of all-time which refreshed my memory.

Hopefully from this point forward I'm going to focus on the positive and remember what Rickey brought to A's fans... instead of dwelling on the trade that broke the heart of a twelve year old Oakland A's fan.

Speaking of heartbreaking... please send positive vibes out to the victims of yesterday's tragic event at the Gilroy Garlic Festival.  I wasn't there... and haven't attended in decades... but each year thousands of people attend this famous festival.  As of right now, I haven't heard of any friends or family members who attended, but my heart goes out to anyone who was directly affected by this tragedy.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

7 comments:

Commishbob said...

I heard that today and thought about you. SMH

Bulldog said...

That Rickey trade doesn't get near enough press and worked out perfect for the A's.

The Bucs Stop Here said...

Sweet card. I was looking through some old baseball stats last week, crazy that he had 25 steals in a season... at age 42.

Sean said...

Behavioral psychologists call that "negativity bias": negative things have a greater psychological effect on us than positive ones, so we are more likely to recall them. So it makes sense that you would remember being upset about losing Rickey Henderson more than you do being happy that he came back!

Collecting Cutch said...

I remember the trade of 89 much differently than you do because of the "East Coast bias" situation. All my friends were Yankees fans and when he was traded AWAY from the Yankees my friends didn't want his cards anymore. I got a Rickey rookie from my friend for a team set of 89 Upper Deck Yankees.

Prayers to those affected at the Garlic Festival. When I heard the news and where it was located I immediately thought of you. Glad that you are ok.

Jafronius said...

I too thought of you when I heard the news, mainly because you referred to it in the original run of Nacho Grande's "Know a Blogger" (he linked to it so I was able to catch up). Glad you or your family/friends weren't there, but prayers to those affected.

Fuji said...

commishbob - it's sad. can't begin to imagine what the heck goes through these peoples' minds

bulldog - yeah... it was nice to see him come back to the east bay

the bucs stop here - rickey wasn't gonna let age slow him down ;)

sean - good to know. and it totally fits into how i remember things

collecting cutch - wtf? that has to be one of the best trades you've ever made. i was actually 700 miles north in portland this past weekend

jafronius - totally forgot about that i mentioned it. it's a truly tragic event.