30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It's Just My Luck...

My recent transition from a Los Angeles Lakers fan into a Golden State Warriors fan has been interesting to say the least. Don't worry, I have no regrets. I'm now a diehard Warriors fan who will support them through the thick and thin.

And right about now... things are beginning to look thinner & thinner.

If you're a basketball fan, then you've heard about the trade that sent Monta Ellis, Kwame Brown, and Ekpe Udoh to the Milwaukee Bucks for Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson. Now, I've been listening to ESPN and KNBR's breakdown of the trade... along with a variety of fans' opinions... and it seems like it's a trade the Warriors had to make, but one the Bucks will benefit more from.

But I'm not here to debate whether or not the Warriors screwed up... I'm here to show of my newly started Ekpe Udoh PC:




I started collecting Udoh a few weeks ago, because he's not on anyone's radar... but at the same time, he's been the most effective and efficient big man on the court for Golden State this season. Up until last week, he was the only player on a losing team in the NBA's top 50 "+/-" stat category with a +150. That's almost twice the total of Stephen Curry who was ranked second on the Warriors.

But thanks to yesterday's trade... I no longer have a reason to collect him. And it seems like I'm not the only collector being affected by trades. My buddy Charles over at Hoopography has a nice 2008 Bowman Chrome "Blue Refractor" rookie card of Jesus Montero, who was traded from his beloved Yankees to the Mariners in January. Montero is batting .333 in Spring Training, so my guess is he'll still have a fair share of followers.

On the other hand, Udoh is a mystery. If he gets the opportunity to play some decent minutes... who knows... maybe he'll blossom into a solid starter. The again... maybe he sits on the bench behind Ersan Ilyasova who had been on an amazing run until this past Monday. I guess only time will tell.

As for now... I'm currently trying to figure out which current Warrior I want to collect next. Then again... maybe I'll just stick to the legends like: Chris Mullin, Rick Berry, and Tim Hardaway.

Happy Hump Day! Sayonara.

4 comments:

Community Gum said...

It always sucks when a player you collect gets sent away. I have a feeling it might happen with Marmol and Dempster before too long for me.

If I were to go for any Warrior, I'd have to stick with classics and either say Mitch Richmond (even though he spent a lot of time with the Kings) or Sarunas Marciulionis.
--Jon

Fuji said...

I was a huge fan of Run TMC growing up... so Richmond I'm always on the lookout for his cards in a Warriors uniform that I don't already have.

Marciulionis was a scoring machine. I was always amazed that he scored that many points off of the bench for the Warriors. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.

Offy said...

I got an Udoh low numbered auto from Upper Deck in place of an auto that I was shorted from my Draft case and I was surprised at how high it sold for and this was at the beginning of the season. Seems like it would have gone for even more now. Back when I sold it, I hadn't even heard of the guy.

Fuji said...

The Buck finally gave him some minutes against the Hawks and he rewarded them with 10 rebounds and 3 blocks.

LOL... just noticed I misspelled Rick Barry in my post.