30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gotta Love Tape Stains!


I own a pretty decent collection of damaged cards, but it's the one collection I avoid adding cards to... until now. Last month, I found this 1951 Bowman #84 Barney McCosky card online and immediately knew I had to have it for a few reasons:

#1: It's officially the oldest baseball card in my collection.

#2: Barney McCosky played for the Philadelphia Athletics, which later became the Kansas city Athletics, who eventually moved Oakland and became my favorite baseball team.

#3: McCosky was actually a decent player. He played for eleven seasons (from 1939 to 1953) on four teams (Tigers, Indians, A's, & Reds) and had a .312 lifetime batting average. He even led the American League in hits (1940).

#4: Last, but not least... the dealer only wanted 75¢. A sixty-one year old piece of cardboard featuring an Athletic for only 75 pennies? I'll buy that any day of the week.

Okay... so I know that it has two large tape stains on the card. Who cares? Worse case scenario... I add it to my Damaged Card PC. But for now... it's going right next to my Jose Canseco SLU on my Oakland A's shelf in my office.

Am I crazy? Actually don't answer that. Instead answer this...

Would you ever purchase a card with tape stains on it?

Happy Sunday everyone... and sayonara!

11 comments:

Napkin Doon said...

If it was from 1951 and was only $.75 I would, and without hesitation.

Nice job!

Funner Here said...

If it had a guy named Roy Halladay on it, and it was rare and something I didn't have, why not?

Stealing Home said...

i know a lot of my fellow bloggers dont mind damages on cards, but from the start of my collecting days, i always believed that condition matters with vintage.
most of the time, i'm walking away from tape stains and big creases, but i would jump on a 75 center any day o' the week. nice catch.

Captain Canuck said...

absolutely!

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

I would have been in completely agreement. You gotta turn me onto this dealer!!

Mark Zentkovich said...

well loved vintage cards rule!

Greg Zakwin said...

My Al Rosen PC would attest to the fact that I don't have a problem with it.

And I don't!

The Lost Collector said...

I have before and I will again.

Martyn said...

I wouldn't want the dilemma so no, if it has tape or ink stains, if it has a dinged corner or vintage wear, yes, recently picked up a Bowman 1949 which i'm happy about

Fuji said...

thanks for the feedback everyone... it's nice knowing that i'm not alone.

Ryan G said...

Yes, certainly not alone. I have no problem with tape stains, especially on older or rarer cards. It adds character!