30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hole Punched Howard

Last week I showed off some stains... tape stains that is.


Today... may I present to you my hole punched 1962 Topps #175 Frank Howard. I guess I can finally make that cool Dodgers necklace I've always wanted.

I can't complain, since I found the card in a 10¢ bin on Friday at the card show. The two holes actually give his piece of cardboard some character. Plus... I'll buy vintage cards of 60's stars all day for that price.

He was a little before my time, but I've read about Mr. Howard on numerous occasions. He was the 1960 National League Rookie of the Year, a 4x MLB All-Star, and 2x AL Homerun Champion. Howard ended his 16 year career with a .273 batting average and 382 homeruns.

Anyone else have any hole punched cards?
Any ideas why someone would want to do this to my woody?

Happy Sunday everyone... and sayonara!

10 comments:

TakaTanakaGiants said...

At first glance, I thought he was juggling baseballs.
Not sure why someone would punch holes in a card. Although, the necklace idea might not be too far off :)

Stealing Home said...

i guess somebody attached that to a rolodex o' baseball card fun. there may be a whole collection of cards with matching holes out there. it always amazes me why somebody would wanna pierce a hole in his perfectly good woody ~ ~

Spiegel83 said...

I actually just picked up a vintage card of a Dodger in a dime box about a week ago. I found a 1969 Topps Bart Shirley with two holes punched in the top left of the card. It looks very odd but, I had to purchase it because it was just a dime.

Robert said...

I just had to say it...there's nothing worse than when your woody has holes...

Fuji said...

Damn... now I can't get the image of him juggling out of my head ;-)

Fuji said...

this might be the first woody ever pierced :-D

either way... they were way ahead of the "piercing" generation

Fuji said...

hmmm... maybe our two cards once shared the same owner?

Fuji said...

one hole is plenty for me :)

Ryan G said...

I wouldn't put a hole in my woody. I love it too much to do that to it.

That said, I have a '53 Topps that's punched similarly but on the left-hand side. I'm sure some kids got a hold of daddy's old Rolodex file and hole puncher and made their own version of a card binder.

Remember, Fuji, you're playing with someone else's woody... or at least it was someone else's long ago...

Fuji said...

I agree... putting holes in your woody is not my cup of tea. As for playing with other collector's woodies... if they want to send them to me, I'll play with them all day long... hole punched or not!