30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, March 16, 2012

Flashback Friday #6: 1989 TV Sports Mailbag 8x10 Pictures

One of the things about being a "pack rat" is that sometimes you stumble across long, lost purchases. Last night, while digging through a box of old folders and handouts, I came across a package containing four Chicago Cubs 8x10 photos produced by a company called TV Sports Mailbag back in 1989.


I have no idea where these came from... but the Greg Maddux has definitely found a home in my collection.


The colored photos are printed on semi-gloss paper, but aren't of the highest quality. The back of the photos contain the player's name, position, team name, and have the official MLB logo. There's even a photo number for collectors who were interested in building the set.


According to Beckett and the paper inserted into the pack, there are 140 photos in the set. Singles can be found on eBay for around $3 to $9 (shipping included). Cal Ripken Jr. has a book value of $5 and is the highest valued photo in the set.

So if you're a player collector looking to add something a little different to you collection... maybe these are for you. There's a NL Leaders pack with a Tony Gwynn I need for my collection, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop $11 for it.

Are there any 80's collectors out there who bothered to build this set?

Where were they distributed? Card shops? Toy stores?

Happy Friday everyone... hope all of you enjoy your weekend. Sayonara!

5 comments:

Paul Hadsall said...

I have vague memories of these being a local thing (the league leaders sets and your home team's would be available in your area, but if you wanted the others you'd have had to send away for them).

I'm not sure if they were sold at card shops or in Toys R Us... considering the time period, it could have been both.

Fuji said...

I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a local thing. For some reason, I have it stuck in my head that you could buy these at Kay-Bee or at Toys R' Us... but I'm not 100% sure.

Tony L. said...

Fuji, I just found this post in searching for more information on this set. Did you ever get more information?

Fuji said...

Never went back and researched it. I have stumbled across different packs at the flea market, but didn't bother purchasing them. But if I ever find a Gwynn, I'll end up picking one up if the price is right.

Anonymous said...

Charles M.
I myself just discovered in the attic that i have 3 8x10's 89007A,B and C! Ozzy Smith, Tom Brunansky and Pedro Guerrero! First time seeing these photos. Dont know where they came from or how they even got there!