30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, March 2, 2012

Flashback Friday #5: Grant Hill


Last night, Grant Hill played a team high 37 minutes and led the Phoenix Suns over Kevin Love & the Minnesota Timberwolves with his 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 blocked shot. I know what you're thinking... these numbers don't even compare to Durant's 38 points against the Magic or Lebron's 38 against the Trail Blazers.

Please... let me remind you that Grant Hill is 39 years old and currently the 2nd oldest player in the NBA (Kurt Thomas is one day older). I didn't watch the game, but seeing the box score made me flashback to the 90's... when Hill was a perennial all-star. He was voted in as the starting Eastern Conference all-star forward in 6 of his first 7 seasons (there was no 1999 NBA All-Star game, otherwise I guarantee you it would have been 7 out of 7).

Fans can only speculate what Hill's numbers might have been had he not suffered that serious ankle injury in 2000. According to Wikipedia, there are only three players who have numbers that exceed what Hill accomplished during his first six seasons in the NBA: Oscar Robinson, Larry Bird, and LeBron James.

But injuries are a part of the game... and there's no denying they affected Hill's career. Thankfully... last night's performance jogged my memory and reminded me that during the 90's, Grant Hill was among the NBA elite.

The question is...

Are his numbers going to be good enough to land him a spot in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame?

Have a great weekend and sayonara!

4 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

Wow, great question. I say no. I love Grant Hill. he is one of my favorites, but I think he just misses the grade. I don't think there is any question that he would have baring injuries, but he never one any big games and his career averages are too low (all be it due to injury). Again, i love Grant Hill, but the Hall of Fame should be for the best of the best. If he does get in, I would be happy for him tho. He seems like a great guy.

BTW, SkyBox Emotion was a nice set.

Fuji said...

charles - i agree... i think he'll come up short too. it's crazy to see him still being productive at this age with the suns though.

skybox emotion was one of my favorite sets back in the day... even had cool packaging. shame it never really caught on.

Chris P said...

Yeah I have to say sadly no, I too love Grant Hill, and he was on the way to becoming a sure fire hall of famer, but after the injuries he basically became a solid role player, I know he made one more All Star game post injuries. At least he has enjoyed a pretty long career considering most thought he definitely done years ago. BTW, I loved that Grant Hill Emotion RC so much back then I traded MJ inserts (something I NEVER would do)for it. Always a personal favorite set of mine

Fuji said...

chris - yeah, the fact that he's still playing is what amazes me the most. and not only that he's playing... but he's starting and contributing.

it's crazy that two different 94/95 skybox emotion sets sold for under $9 (delivered) recently. seems like the best deal in the world to me.