30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Out of My Control

Work is a little crazy right now... and the Oakland A's aren't helping.  A few days ago, it looked like they were gonna stroll into the playoffs.

2019 Archives Signature Series
2014 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects #DP21

But back to back losses along with a 9th inning heroic home run by Matt Chapman have made things a lot more interesting... and a little more stressful.

Oh well... it's out of my control.  All I can do is see how things play out over the next two or three days.

Speaking of control, here's one of the most accurate pitchers to ever play the game...

1987 Leaf #36

I had the pleasure of watching Maddux play on a fairly regular basis back in the 90's when he signed with the Atlanta Braves.  In 1992 he won the first of his four consecutive Cy Young Awards with his almost inhuman ability to place the ball wherever he wanted.  It didn't take long for me to become a huge fan and collector of his cards.

I purchased this rookie card off of eBay back in 2016 for just under $100.  Today this cards sells in the $170 to $200 rangeWho says graded baseball cards aren't a good investment?

Well that's it for today.  Hopefully you're enjoying your day.  I spent mine sitting in a district inservice.  Personally... I'm one of those teachers who prefer to be standing in front of students rather than be sitting in front of a presenter.  Oh well.  It was completely out of my control.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

WOW! I must have 3 or 4 of these cards, not graded but should grade out to a 10. WoW.

Sean said...

I have a few of those Greg Maddux Leaf rookies back home (those were easier than 1987 Donruss for us Canadians to collect back in the day), I didn't know graded copies sold for so much (I'm guessing there is a huge price difference between your 10 and a 9 or an 8 though?) Very cool card of a very cool player.

Henry Blanchette said...

The next few days are going to be very interesting with the Indians, Rays, and A's all fighting for 2 Wild Card spots. My bet is that Oakland and Tampa Bay make it in.

Corky said...

If you never want to deal with stress during a playoff race, become a Mariners fan. We never worry about the playoffs, 18 years running 😫

Matt said...

I have a post about the playoff scheduled for Monday, and the 3 way race for the AL Wild Cards (along with the NL Central race) pretty much guarantees I'll be editing until the last minute. I'm pretty confident at this point the Indians won't be overcoming that 2 game deficit.

Nachos Grande said...

My Reds were basically eliminated right after the All-Star break (or perhaps even after their atrocious start to the season) so I'm kind of jealous of any fan base that still has hope this late into September.

Nick said...

I still have a hard time believing that ANYTHING from '87 Donruss can sell for more than $1.50 or so...much less three figures!!!

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - send them in!

sean - honestly didn't know they went up so much until i was writing this post

henry blanchette - with the indians loss today, it's oak vs. tb. now we just have to see where they'll be playing the game

corky - i'm a padres fan too... so i totally understand

matt - you were right. it's now a battle for home field advantage. looking forward to reading your post

nachos grande - if you're bored, the a's could use some honorary fan support

nick - lol. it's those damn black borders.

SumoMenkoMan said...

1987 Leaf/Donruss are such good looking cards. Hope work let’s up for you.

Matt said...

Hoping the Yanks dont' have to face the A's. They play em tough

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - 87 was a strong class of baseball card designs. i liked donruss/leaf too, but i thought fleer was a little nicer... and topps/opc was hands down the best.

sport card collectors - if the a's end up meeting the yankees, they probably should be a little concerned. i'm not writing that to be cocky. i say this, because it means that they just knocked off two of the hottest al teams to get to that point. it's way more likely that the yankees will meet the astros or rays.

The Snorting Bull said...

The 1987 Donruss and Leaf sets are probably in my top 5 non-Topps sets from that decade. Just wish there were some better Cardinals cards in that product. I feel your pain with doing the district inservice day, I like learning new things about my professional, but hate being out of the classroom.

Fuji said...

After reading your post... I felt like we're kind of on the same wavelength this school year.

Dennis said...

For the future of the game I appreciate fun guys like Chapman who put up some great numbers. And I've been rooting for the A's for a while now since they're often an interesting team. Looks like they'll be playing the Rays, correct?

Oh yeah, the Maddux is a classic as well, and you know that's my favorite generation of players!

Fuji said...

dennis - yup... the rays will be taking the trip to oakland. they are hot right now. although whoever wins is gonna have to face the astros. that's a scary thought. it's my favorite generation of players as well. i think it has to do with my interest in card collecting during the 90's