30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 30, 2019

Monday Medley

Good morning.  If you're here to check out my card show haul, I've got some bad news.  That post won't be ready until tomorrow.  Until then I have a medley of random cards for your viewing pleasure.

First up are two 2019 Topps base cards that represent the two wildcard teams I'll be cheering for tomorrow and Wednesday:

2019 Topps #64
2019 Topps #654

Laureano and the Oakland Athletics shouldn't be a surprise if you're familiar with this blog.  As for the Washington Nationals, I don't have an allegiance to them.  However... Kurt Suzuki is still my favorite player in the game, so I'll be rooting for him.

Next up is this 1989 minor league card featuring Sal Maglie Stadium:

1989 Pucko Niagara Falls #29

You're looking at Night Owl's rookie card.  Back in May, he featured this card on his blog and explained that he's the guy sitting in the press box (fourth window from the right) talking to the radio broadcaster from the other team.  My original thought was I needed a copy of this card, so I could send it to him and get it signed.

Well... I forgot.  Then a few weeks ago, Gavin showed off his autographed copy and it motivated me to purchase this card (actually, I ended up buying a team set on eBay).  I've already emailed Greg to see if he'd be willing to sign my copy.  He is.  Now I just need to get off my butt and ship it across the country.

Last up for today is my school identification card for the 2019-20 school year:


If it looks altered... that's because it is.  Even though I've told a few of you the name of the school I teach at and you could probably find me fairly easily online... I prefer to have some privacy.  That's why I've painted over my full name as well as my school's name and mascot.

And normally I don't post too many photos of myself... but this one is one for the ages.  So enjoy.

What about you...

Are you giving any wildcard teams your support?  If so, who?

Okay that's it for today.  Time to get ready for work.  Happy Monday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Brett Alan said...

I don’t know whether I’ll even watch—I’m in Singapore, so the games happen during my morning, so it will depend on whether my wife wants to go out and whether I have work to do (I do like to stream games when I’m working in the morning). But if I’m watching I’ll be rooting for the As and the Brewers. Enjoy.

CaptKirk42 said...

Cool stuff. I of course as a Nats fan (and Suzuki fan partly because of his cool first name) am thrilled they made the Wild Card and will be rooting for them.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Definitely the Nationals. Their pitching rotation is too good to not continue and it is a great sting, I'm sure, to Bryce Harper.

Nice cards!

Henry Blanchette said...

As a Red Sox fan first and Cubs fan second, I don't have a team to passionately root for this postseason. That being said, I'd like to see the Rays or Twins make it far.

Sean said...

That is funny, I have never seen a blogger's rookie card before!

I have a 1991 Donruss card of myself that I would love to find (limited edition to just 1 card, made in 1991 at a promo booth at Olympic Stadium).

Not rooting for any wild card teams here....

SumoMenkoMan said...

Haha, holy crap that is funny!! The picture is real, right? Can’t believe they actual let you use it!!

night owl said...

Yes, I am the guy fourth window from the left in that card photo but I'm not standing, I'm sitting. The standing guy (fourth window from the RIGHT) was the radio broadcaster for the team.

I shall be rooting for whichever team is less of a nuisance for the Dodgers, which might be the Brewers, so go that team. Also I'll be rooting for your A's.

The Snorting Bull said...

I have taught for 20 years and I think I have had a total of 3 different work I.D. photos. I wish I got a new one every year, your's is hilarious.

In the National League, I will be pulling for the Nationals. In the American League, I will be going for the Rays since they are the parent team of the Bulls. However, the A's are my second choice for an American League Champion, so if they advance I will not be too disappointed.

Fuji said...

brett alan - hope you're enjoying your business trip with your wife in singapore. if I was there, i probably wouldn't be watching baseball. i'd be too focused on eating

captkirk42 - sure how suzuki plays a big role in the Nationals playoff run. go kurt!

peter k. steinberg - i'm pulling for scherzer big time. love watching that guy pitch. just hope he regains his early season form when he dominated batters

henry blanchette - never thought both of those teams you mentioned would be out of the playoffs

sean - i hope you find that card. i'd love to see one of those customs. sounds like donruss was ahead of its time

sumomenkoman - yup, it's real. figured it'd be a nice surprise for my students when they get their yearbooks at the end of the year

night owl - thanks for the info. i updated the post. go a's!

the snorting bull - we get one every year when we take our yearbook/fall photos. i don't always do a silly one though. i'll be pulling for the nats as well (i think). i need to sit down and get everything organized