30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 16, 2019

Canine Card Collection

When I first started blogging, I wrote about everything related to collectibles.  But over time, I noticed that my baseball related posts received the most views... which convince me to cut back on everything else.

These days, I'd say 95% of my posts feature at least one baseball card or a baseball related item.  In fact the last time it didn't was on June 21, 2019... when I wrote about my skateboards.  That's forty-seven straight posts that involved baseball cards in some shape or form.

Today the streak ends, because I wanted to show off two of my latest Bernese Mountain Dog trading cards.  But before I do, here are the awesome dogs that inspired me to start this collection:


Meet Mika and Chibi... the friendliest fur balls you'll ever meet.  One of them belongs to my best friend... and the other belongs to her sister.  Before I met them, I had no idea what a Bernese Mountain Dog was.  Now... they're my favorite dogs in the world.

Okay, let's check out some cards...

2018 Upper Deck Canine Collection #328

I found this card on COMC a few months ago.  It's from the Canine Collection ePacks.  I honestly don't know how these ePacks work, but this is an actual card.  So there must be some way to convert the digital cards into hard copies.  As soon as I saw this card, it reminded me of the sisters.

The next card was part of a complete set I purchased off of eBay:

2019 Allen and Ginter Collectible Canines #CC-18

By now you've probably seen this insert set.  I was originally hoping to pick up this single at a flea market or on COMC for under a buck.  Eventually, I discovered it was much more cost effective to just buy a complete set.  I'm not as big of a fan of the photo used on this card, but the number of Bernese Mountain Dog trading cards out there is limited, so beggars can't be choosers.

The third and final card for my Berner PC is a card I've shared on this blog before:

2017 Goodwin Champions Canine Companions #CC-44

This super thick card is a manufactured patch that is absolutely gorgeous and part of a tiered insert setBernese Mountain Dogs were part of the "working" dog tier, which were inserted into packs at a rate of 1:271 packs.  When you consider that there are twenty different dogs in this tier, the odds of pulling this card are pretty tough.

Well that's it for my canine card collection.  I'll go ahead and wrap up this post with some Sharks I recently received from Bo over at Baseball Cards Come To Life!.  He had inherited a giant hockey collection over the summer and offered to send me some of the San Jose Sharks:



When I look at all of the teams I actively root for, the San Jose Sharks are one of my most beloved franchises.  I've been a fan of them since the beginning.  And I've collected their cards the entire time.  However I've definitely cut back on making hockey purchases the past few years.  There was a time when I'd actively trade my baseball, football, and basketball cards to get my hands on Sharks cards.


But much like my viewership... my interest in collecting hockey cards has declined over time.  That being said... it was nice seeing some of these familiar faces and card designs.  The mid 90's were definitely the peak of my hockey card fanfare.

Thank you Bo for these Sharks cards!  I've added you to the growing list of care packages I need to build.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Matt said...

Those are some beautiful dogs you have there!

Paul said...

Love the 90's Sharks stuff! I remember having cards from a lot of those sets when I was a kid.

Paul M said...

These two boys get 10/10, would pet.

Dawgbones said...

One of the happiest dogs I've ever met in my life was a Berner!! They are awesome dogs!
I've also blogged one time that featured Fred, my Golden, after she ate a pack of cards!
Sadly, we lost Fred last month on the 21st, just 3 months shy of her 13th b-day to cancer.
Once we get the household back down to the 2-dogs or less range, we will probably look at a big dog, and Berners have ALWAYS been on my short-list.

The Lost Collector said...

Very great dogs...my dog is half Bernese Mountain Dog, half Poodle (otherwise known as a "bernedoodle"). He definitely has some Berner tendencies for sure. The nice thing is that with the poodle in him, he is hypoallergenic and doesn't shed.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Definitely gorgeous dogs.

CrazieJoe said...

Wonderful looking dogs and a breed with a great temperament from my understanding.

Sean said...

Ha, coincidentally I was about to do a post about dog cards too!

My daughter (just shy of 2 years old) is obsessed with dogs. There is a candy maker here in Japan that packages a dog trading card with a small chocolate bar and every time we go to the supermarket I have to get one for her. Yesterday we were there and she picked one up and I thought about doing a post about them, though I didn't get around to taking any pictures so haven't put the post together yet. She has a small collection, pretty much all of them get destroyed pretty quickly in our house though! She is the youngest card collector I have ever known!

P-town Tom said...

I'm always up for a dog post.
I have two cats at the moment, but only because my schedule doesn't really lend to having a dog. When I retire though... man, some dog is going to get really spoiled.

Bo said...

Glad you enjoyed the Sharks package! I hope there were some cards in there you didn't have yet.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome. Dogs need more cards!

SumoMenkoMan said...

You should totally write a blog post about those!

Fuji said...

matt - thanks. they're technically not my dogs, but i love them as if they were

paul - hockey card collecting peaked for me in the mid 90's. loved collecting guys like jeff friesen and owen nolan

paul m - heck yeah! only one thing... they're girls ;)

dawgbones - sorry for your loss. dogs are part of the family and i can't speak for everyone, but i tend to usually like them more than their owners.

the lost collector - i've heard of bernedoodles. the no shedding thing is a major plus. when these two girls leave my place, my floors are covered in black hair.

johnnys trading spot - thanks johnny!

craziejoe - yeah, their temperment is a perfect compliment to mine. they're very chill... but have these spurts of energy where they love to play

sean - oh man, i agree with sumomenkoman. i'd love to see a post on these cards. i wonder if they have a berner card in that set.

p-town tom - i'm the same way. when i retire i'll be getting a dog to keep me company for sure

bo - there were definitely a few cards i don't remember seeing before. thanks for the package!

sumomenkoman - i totally agree. i think they'd be pretty popular

Matt said...

These cards definitely are not ruff around the edges :)

Fuji said...

Yeah. They're grrrr-eat.