30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Four Out The Door

Some of you might remember me purchasing some cards off of my buddy who sold cards out of his garage.  Well... he sold his house over the summer and dumped most of the bulk cards he owned.  He recently called me up and offered to sell me a box of "hits" for a really good price.  As soon as I get everything sorted, I'll share them on my blog.

In the meantime, here are four cards he sold me as I was walking out the door...

2012 Topps Triple Threads Relic Combos #TTRC

As most of you know, Gwynn is my all-time favorite player... so this was the key card in the purchase.

Did you know that Gwynn and Boggs collected their 3,000th hits on consecutive days back in August 1999?  Did you know that the night before Gwynn accomplished the feat, he watched Mark McGwire hit his 500th career home run?  Speaking of home runs, did you know that Wade Boggs was the first MLB player to hit a home run for his 3,000th hit?  Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter eventually joined that club.  Only two guys have hit a triple for their 3,000th career hitIchiro is one of the guys... and Molitor is the other.

Okay... enough baseball trivia.  Let's move along to the other three cards in the purchase...  

2003 Fleer Platinum Portrayals Jersey #PP-BF

Even though he stressed me out every single time he hurled that pigskin around the field, Favre was my favorite football player for years and is still one of my major football PC's.

2002 Fleer Authentix Jersey #JA-BF Ripped

Unfortunately, I don't add memorabilia cards of him to my collection very often.  These two represent only the 8th and 9th additions... and I've been collecting him since the mid 90's.  I was really happy to add these to my collection.

2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Collegiate Patches #CP-AP

Last... but not least is an autograph from the legendary Notre Dame head coach... Ara Parseghian.  I'm not a huge college football fan... and Notre Dame is one of my least favorite college football teams out there.  But I'm always happy to add the signature of a sports legend to my collection... even if this card was only an afterthought.

Like I said earlier, the triple relic was the key card in this purchase and my buddy knew it.  We just couldn't settle on a price.  He decided to list them on eBay, but in the bottom of the ninth with two strikes, he offered to sell me these four cards for $30 as I was walking out the door.

The way I broke it down was $10 for the triple relic, $10 for the Parseghian autograph, and $5 each for the Favre relics.  Those were prices I could live with.  And those were prices he could live with.  The rest is history.

Today's question of the day...

Who's your favorite 3,000 hit club member?

Gwynn is the obvious choice for me.  However Rickey Henderson is right up there with him.  After that I'd go with Ichiro and Carew.  And if we're talking about retired guys I never saw play... Clemente would be my guy.

Well that's it for today.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

15 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

No brainer for me here. #3 on the All-Time hits list. Mr. Hank Aaron.

Section 36 said...

Would have to be Yaz! Of course, there are three former Sox on the list, so I suppose Yaz-Speaker-Boggs in that order.

Rod (Padrographs) said...

It would have to be Tony Gwynn. I would love to have a card with both Boggs and Gwynn on it. I spent a day with Boggs and Gwynn once. It was Johnny Boggs, Tony's agent and Tony at a card show in the 90's

SumoMenkoMan said...

Ichiro all the way!!

Brett Alan said...

I’ve gotta go with George Brett, but I love Willie Mays too.

Also, you seem to have misspelled “legendary Northwestern coach Ara Parseghian”. Common mistake.

NPB Card Guy said...

Isao Harimoto and Lou Brock

The Lost Collector said...

That's 3000 hit club card is cool! Although my favorite 3,000 hit club cards are the ones Fleer did.

I'll go with Jeter being my favorite.

Bulldog said...

Yaz! That triple relic is sweet and love the trivia.

gregory said...

Tough question. So many great options. I might add Craig Biggio to the list here in the comments, partly because he's a native Long Islander like me, and partly because he played three very different positions quite well (C, OF, 2B). I always thought that was impressive.

sg488 said...

As a long time Norcal guy here,I gotta go with Rickey Henderson.

Baltmoss68 said...

Carew was my first favorite player as a kid. And he’s still too 5.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - good call. one of the all-time greats

section 36 - hmmm... i'd probably go boggs, yaz, and speaker ;)

padrographs - as much as i enjoy molitor... i'd rather have just boggs and gwynn on this card. i think it's cool that they collected their 3000th hits on back to back evenings

sumomenkoman - no arguments here

brett alan - lol. honestly don't know much about him... except from the rudy movie. is he known more for his time at northwestern?

npb card guy - nice call on harimoto

the lost collector - i built the regular fleer 3000 club insert set a few years ago. still looking to eventually ad one of the relics to my pc.

bulldog - maybe his grandson will join the club too

gregory - i like biggio. i remember him mostly for his days playing 2nd... but one of my favorite cards of him is his 1990 topps card where he's peeling off his mask

sg488 - you're a norcal guy? do you ever come out to the bay area?

baltmoss68 - carew was one of my favorites as a kid too

Dennis said...

Wow, nice stuff! The Triple Threads trio is sweet. I really like those college patch signatures, too, so I can appreciate them even though I hate Notre Dame. Lots of 3000 Hit Club favorites to choose from, but I'd have to go with Cal.

Fuji said...

dennis - i feel like you either love or hate notre dame. they're like the yankees and cowboys

Adam Kaningher said...

I'd probably have to go with Ichiro since I saw that #3000 in person.