30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, September 28, 2019

My Card Show Shopping List

The big day has finally arrived.  It's the Serramonte Mall Sports Cards, Toys, & Collectibles Show which takes place in Daly City, which is just south of San Francisco and about an hour north of my place.

At the time of publishing, I'll probably be wrapping up my day there so you can expect a recap either tomorrow or Monday.  In the meantime, I figured I'd share my card show shopping list for today, which was written in no particular order.

11973 Topps Baseball Set 

1973 Topps #142

This is the last set I need to complete my 1972 to 1986 Topps run of baseball card sets.  


2An Interesting or Cool Mike Schmidt Card

1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures #MS

I still owe Mr. Haverkamp from the previous Serramonte Mall Show.  He's not gonna be there today, but I'm planning on seeing him next month at a Sacramento card show.  I'd like to have something for him by then.


32019 Topps Chrome Singles

2019 Topps Chrome #203

I'd love to wrap up this set by finding cheap singles at this show, instead of going out and buying more blaster boxes.


4Graded Derek Jeter Rookie Card

Scan Courtesy of COMC

I'm looking for one or two graded Jeter cards (preferably PSA 8 or 9) for my Time Capsule Project.  I'll also be on the lookout for any affordable 90's Jeter inserts and parallels.


5 Cheap Autographs and Relics

2003 UD Sweet Spot Classic GU Memorabilia #SJ-TG

I'm always on the lookout for affordable memorabilia cards and autographs for my personal collection as well as care packages for many of you.

Honestly, I wouldn't bet money that I'll be crossing off any of these items on my list... with maybe the exception of #2 and #5.  I didn't even bother adding things like a 1956 Topps graded hall of famer to this list, because I'm on a budget.  The only exception would be if I somehow stumble across the 1973 Topps set.  Then I'd be willing to run to the ATM and pull out some cash.

What about you?

What's currently on your hobby shopping list?

By the way... just like your typical grocery store shopping list, I'm sure I'm leaving off something important from it.  However I wrote this post at 6am this morning after getting less than four hours of sleep, so I was a tad bit exhausted.

Well that's it for today.  I hope all of you enjoy your weekend.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

15 comments:

gcrl said...

I've pretty much narrowed my shopping list to steve garvey cards that I don't already have. In addition, i am going to get back to my 1957, 1965, and 1972 set needs. If I make it to a show, I may look for cards to add to those sets, plus keeping an eye out for new double play turns on cards or memorial patches in the dime boxes.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I hope your show was great. As for my list.....I want them all, hehe.

Zippy Zappy said...

I'm curious what the thing you left off was. I'm guessing it was new milk to replace the old one that went bad (that you also still need to throw out).

night owl said...

'73 Topps is also on my card show shopping list, but there's no way I am buying the whole set all at once, and the fact I already own about 85 percent of it is only part of the reason.

Henry Blanchette said...

Hope you had an awesome time at the show. The #1 thing on my radar right now is a Tatis Jr rookie autograph. My birthday's in just under a month, so I'll probably pick one up then since I haven't been lucky enough to pull one from a pack.

Matt said...

My list is way too long. But gotta complete some of my 90's sets like 1995 Summit Ground Zero, 1995 Score Red Siege and 1995 Ultra Gold Medallion all for football

The Snorting Bull said...

At this point I am pretty much only buying Cardinals and Durham Bulls singles, heavy on Blake Snell and Jack Flaherty. Hope you found some good stuff at the show.

CrazieJoe said...

Hope the show was fruitful, and I look forward to seeing what you get from it!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Can’t wait to see the treasures you landed! Nothing specific on my list at the moment.

Fuji said...

gcrl - i assume at this point the garvey cards you still need must be white whales. i'd love to build a vintage set, but i just don't have the patience. heck... i don't have the patience to build the 2019 chrome set

johnnys trading spot - it was pretty good. lots of variety and more card dealers than normal.

zippy zappy - 2019 archives expos autographs and a ramon laureano autograph are two things i completely forgot to add to this post. and believe it or not, i do need some milk. gonna go to the grocery store in a little bit

night owl - i found a starter set at the show, but passed. building sets is fun, but i just don't have the patience for it.

henry blanchette - i want one too, but i can't afford it. i did manage to find a cool rookie card of his at a fraction of what they normally sell for. stay tuned

sport card collectors - there was a guy with awesome dime cards that probably would have filled some of your wantlists. if it weren't for other guys crowding me, i would have browsed through everything he had. i'm sure i left behind some really cool stuff.

the snorting bull - i didn't see one blake snell card yesterday. oh well... i did find a few cool things. stay tuned

craziejoe - should have a post up on tuesday or thursday. was hoping to have it ready to go by tomorrow, but that's not gonna happen

sumomenkoman - sadly no sumo cards or yuta cards. i was looking for them though

Dennis said...

I don't think anybody does better card show/flea market recaps than you do--and that's a pretty high bar! I'm looking forward to seeing what you brought home. I'll likely be heading to a show this Friday doing my usual, mostly looking for trade bait for folks like you. I have a few things handy but would like to fill it out a bit more before I send you another package.

Fuji said...

dennis - thanks for the kind words dennis. i picked up a few items on comc for you this summer. i just need to get my bottom in gear, build everyone's care packages, and ship them out

Sean said...

Its impressive that you have all the Topps sets from 72 to 86 except the 73. I had ambitions to complete the entire Topps set run from the 70s once (before Ebay shipping fees to Japan skyrocketed and made it impossible) and the 73 was in my cross hairs too. Its a great set with some good photography by 70s Topps standards.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

I like a bunch of cards from the 73 set. If I had the space and time I'd chase that too. Hope you find it soon.

My current hobby list is a subset of the 2019 archives base cards - Nolan Ryan, Stargell, Catfish, Kaline, and Munson. They're in the category of too expensive on eBay because of shipping, but they're perfect to pickup at a card show. I just went to a small local show this weekend and picked up Tony Perez in a quarter box but got to the local show late so that's all I found. Would be super to have access to something like Serramonte.

If anyone's got any of those and wants to trade, drop me a line.

Ana Lu said...

I think it's time to check what I can get in some European Amazon so I can open some packs. It's a pain to get baseball cards here..SO I'll take what I can get lol