30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, September 5, 2019

A Head Scratcher

Yup.  Another 80's post.  Only this time, I won't be showing off 80's cardboard.  Instead I'll be showing off some cards of one of my favorite players born in the 80's for Collecting Cutch's contest.

Kurt Suzuki is hands down my favorite player born in the 80's, but I've shown his cards on my blog numerous times over the years.  So today, I thought I'd show off some of my favorite Miguel Cabrera cards in my collection.

2005 Sweet Spot Signatures Dual Red Stitch #PC

I realize that some of you might be scratching your head, since I've never actually claimed to be a Miggy fan.  But as you'll see from this post... I've slowly accumulated his cards since I returned to the hobby a little over ten years ago.

2000 Topps Traded #140
2000 Multi-Ad Utica Blue Sox #21

The bottom line is I've always been a fan of guys who hit for average, which is something he has consistently done the majority of his career.

2004 Sweet Spot Signatures #SS-MC

He's just under 200 hits shy of becoming the 33rd member of the 3,000 Hit Club.  And as of yesterday, he only needed 25 home runs to become the 28th member of the 500 Home Run Club.




The way I see it... Cabrera is a sure fire first ballot hall of famer... which is why I'll pick up his memorabilia cards whenever I can find them on the cheap.

2004 SPx Swatch Supremacy #SS-MC

I haven't really targeted his autographs lately, but I probably should since a lot of his Marlins signatures sell for less than $40.


The one thing I'm missing is an on-card autograph of Cabrera featured in his Detroit Tigers uniform.  Unfortunately they're way more expensive.

Until then... I'll go ahead and wrap up this post with the obligatory "pink" card:

2011 Topps Lineage 1975 Mini #143

If you're interested in entering Brian's contest, all you need to do is write a post about one of your favorite baseball players born in the 80's.  And if you show off at least one pink card in your post, he'll give you an extra entrySimple, right?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

The real headscratcher is how he stole the MVP award away from Mike Trout in 2012.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nice Miggy collection.

Jeremya1um said...

I can't believe you have so many Cabrera autographs. That is a great collection, and the combo autograph with Pujols is amazing. And anybody can see how Cabrera was MVP in 2012. He won a TRIPLE CROWN!! Something nobody has done since. He helped the Tigers get to the World Series (which they should've won and were clearly better than the Giants). Trout's Angels didn't make the playoffs. Without Cabrera, the Tigers were significantly worse. Without Trout, the Angels would've been bad, but still wouldn't have been in the post-season. Trout had a nice season and had some good speed/power numbers, but Cabrera deserved it in 2012.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow, you have a decent collection there. A pink card...I have a few pink sumo wrestling cards, but no pink baseball. Is that even a thing?

Peter K Steinberg said...

Well, this was news! Glad to know another collecting angle for you! And good luck in Brian's contest!

Collecting Cutch said...

Awesome cards. I like Miggy a lot and only have a few sticker autos of his. He definitely is one of this generation's best hitters. It's a shame the 2012 Tigers didn't win the World Series so he could get that on his resume to pair up with the Marlins WS Ring.

The Snorting Bull said...

That's a nice collection of Miggy cards. My in-laws are big Tigers fans, so I check in on them often. He's a fun player to watch, and I am glad that I have had the chance to watch him in person a few times.

Fuji said...

zippy zappy - lol. always gotta stir things up ;)

johnnys trading spot - thanks

jeremya1um - that triple crown season was awesome!

sumomenkoman - topps has tons of pink refractors

peter k steinberg - i have at least two more unofficial pcs sitting in my collection

collecting cutch - yeah... we were lucky to get to see him play. dang that guy could hit

the snorting bull - i've been fortunate enough to watch him a few times at the coliseum.