30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Saturday Night Five: Bob Feller Autographs

I know... I know. Bob Feller signed more autographs than any other baseball player in the history of the game. But besides his tremendous hall of fame career, isn't that one of the reasons he's so awesome?

It's impossible to calculate how much time he spent during his lifetime signing balls, baseball cards, photos, and other memorabilia items... but one thing is for sure... it wasn't for naught. There are thousands of baseball fans out there who cherish their Feller autographs and hold them dear to their heart.

It's unfortunate, but I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. In fact, I didn't own an autograph of his until two years ago when I purchased a signed baseball (which I seem to have misplaced) from Steiner Sports.

But that's okay. I've picked up these autographed 8x10 photos to take the place of the ball:



The top two photos were purchased for $13.72 (tax & shipping included). Neither have a certificate of authenticity, but they look legit and came from the same online dealer where I purchased the next three autographed photos:





These three were a little more expensive. I paid $38.97 (tax & shipping included) for the trio.


However when you consider that PSA/DNA charges $20 to authenticate each Feller autograph, then $12.99 per photo isn't too bad of a deal. So what about you...

Do you own a Bob Feller autograph?

If so, did you acquire it in person?

I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend. Sayonara!

10 comments:

BASEBALL DAD said...

Yes and yes !! Living about 50 miles from Cleveland made Feller appearances pretty easy to attend. There is also a museum in Iowa. I have several auto'd items I acquired in person including the 1949 Cleveland program you can see in my blog header. My late Father obtained that, and I had Mr Feller sign it. You can view it here if interested !

http://baseballdad-mytribeblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/tribe-autographica.html

Fuji said...

Wow... now those are the sort of stories I wish I could share with my father. Love older baseball programs. Does 1949 hold any sentimental memories?

Chris P said...

I own a PSA/DNA autographed photo that pictures him talking to Cy Young. Very cool.

Kirk Jacobson said...

I received a very sweet Feller autographed photo from a fellow blotter in a contest. Thanks again Fuji-san. It is proudly displayed on the wall of my msn-cave.

Fuji said...

Wow... that's awesome. One of the greatest with the GREATEST.

Fuji said...

LOL... I had forgot who won that photo package. I'm a little jealous, because your photo has the HOF 62 inscription on the ball.

BASEBALL DAD said...

I wasn't born until Dec of 1950, but Cleveland won the World Series in '48, so during the 1949 season they were heralded as the World Champions.I still have the first real baseball glove my Dad ever bought me. A Richie Ashurn model! We played a lot of catch in the back yard.

Fuji said...

That's really cool. My Dad wasn't a huge baseball fan and he worked a lot when I was a kid, so my Mom was the one who played catch with me. Damn, how I wish I would have kept my childhood glove.

And in terms of collectibles, Papa Fuji didn't really throw any in my direction. Although, he was the bread winner in the household. So I guess all of those baseball card packs my Mom would buy me indirectly came from him.

sg488 said...

I got his autograph in person at a card show in Sacramento in 1982.

Fuji said...

A card show back in the 80's? Back when the superstar autographs were still reasonably priced? Congratulations!