30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday Night Five: Beastie Boys

It's inevitable... at some point in your life, you're going to be asked...

Who's your favorite musician or music group?

And if you're like me... it's always impossible to answer, because I enjoy so many artists. But there's no denying that the Beastie Boys are one of my favorites and have been for many, many years.

So when one of my students approached me at the start of fourth period yesterday morning to inform me that Adam Yauch had passed away, I was devastated. Last month, when the trio were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, he had stated that he wasn't able to attend due to his illness. But I had no idea it was this severe.

Yauch, better known as MCA, is survived by his wife, Dechen, and their daughter, Tenzin. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, and of course Ad Rock and Mike D.

Tonight's post is my tribute to the group that has entertained me for over two decades through various forms of media: CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's, and even magazines.

Here... Ch-Check It Out:

CD's


Although, I enjoy all of their albums... unlike musicians or groups, I AM able to pick a favorite. Check Your Head is not only my favorite Beastie Boys album, it's one of my all-time favorite albums, period. The way they brought their punk rock roots and hip hop raps together is nothing short of perfection.


Back in 1999, you could go onto the Beastie Boys website, create your very own Greatest Hits CD, and have it personalized with your own album name... similar to the whole Nike ID concept. So technically, I have a one of one Beastie Boys CD.

Singles

Check Your Head

Ill Communication


VHS Tapes


Have you seen these videos? Better question... where's my Licensed to Ill VHS tape?


Awesome; I F'n Shot That! DVD


A Beastie Boys concert shot at Madison Square Garden by 50 fans with camcorders. Innovative, unique, creative, and awesome... four words that describe both the group and the DVD.


Grand Royal Magazine


Yep... they created a magazine back in the 90's. There was only six issues... and this was the final one. I used to own the #2 issue with Lee Perry on the cover, but I seem to have misplaced it with my Licensed to Ill video tape.

The magazine was pretty random... featuring everything from music to skateboarding, but it had some pretty cool interviews. If you come across any, it's well worth a read on the toilet.


Bootlegs


Beastieality Vol. 2 featured some cool remixes of songs off of their Check Your Head album. Back in the 90's, I was excited to find any new Beastie Boys albums... especially cool imports like this one.


And finally... I present my most recent Beastie Boys purchase. It's a VHS tape of their live concert in Tokyo from 1995. When it comes to live performances, I'm usually the guy who doesn't like them. I guess I just prefer the way bands perform on albums.

But the Beastie Boys are the exception to this rule. There is simply nothing better than hearing Ad-Rock scream lyrics at the top of his lungs. It's pure adrenaline.

Well... there you have it. That's my tribute to the Beastie Boys. Rest in peace, MCA. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

12 comments:

Spankee said...

I ravaged my entire house today because I couldn't find my Licensed to Ill cd. I still can't find it.

John Bateman said...

I never got into the Beastie Boys but the phrase "You got to fight for your right to Party" is not to be forgotten.

Dodgerbobble said...

Great post. I remember getting License To Ill when I was eight years old. It was the first CD I owned. I consider it to be one of the greatest Hip Hop albums of all time.

I never got to see the Beastie Boys perform live, and I regret it. But with this new hologram technology, maybe it's still a possibility.

RIP MCA.

night owl said...

I'm from the era that grew up right before rap music hit the big time, so I never got into it much. I do appreciate the Beastie Boys, and Sabotage has always been one of my all-time favorites.

Mini Groover said...

I would say Coldplay, I'm the biggest fan I know haha! I collect all the CD's and Vinyl's which makes me look weird as a 15 year old teenager. Here is their tribute.

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=943

Fuji said...

Best of luck in your hunt. Not knowing where my Licensed to Ill video is going to bother me for sure.

Fuji said...

If you can appreciate Fight For Your Right, then there's plenty more where that came from.

Give them a shot... I don't think you'll regret it.

Fuji said...

I'd love to see Ad Rock and Mike D perform with a MCA hologram!

I attended two of their concerts... one of them was in the city at a place that held less than 1,000. It was crazy! One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Fuji said...

Yeah... their rap stuff was good... but when they went back to their punk roots, that's when they truly sold me on their stuff. I'm a huge fan of Sabotage.

Fuji said...

I'm a huge fan of Coldplay. Thanks for sharing that tribute... that was definitely cool of them. I also enjoyed seeing the New York Mets use Beastie Boys songs as their walk-up music. Kudos to them too!

Ryan G said...

Beastie Boys were a big part of my musical revolution. I came late in the game - Sabotage just hit MTV, but from there I went backwards and of course followed them through the years. I wouldn't call them my favorite, but they are certainly near the top.

I love Ben Folds, though, and follow his music *almost* religiously. I don't have much of a collection of things, but I do have a media pass from a concert I attended (one of the photographers was kind enough to give it to me) and his autograph from a different concert.

Fuji said...

I was a late bloomer too, because I didn't listen to their punk stuff until well into the 90's. But I'm glad I did. I love how diverse these guys are.

Ben Folds? Hmmm... don't know him. I think I've heard of him, but not sure. I'll have to look him up.