30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, May 4, 2012

Flashback Friday #9: Donruss Puzzles

These days, sports card collectors have so many options... sometimes some of the coolest cards in a collection can get buried and forgotten. Back in the 80's and early 90's... outside of their Diamond King's subset... one of Donruss's coolest gimmicks was their puzzle piece inserts. Sure, they were inserted into every pack, mass produced, and are the furthest thing from being rare. But that doesn't mean they aren't cool.

They're over two decades old and feature the artwork of renowned sports artist, Dick Perez. Plus, they are beautiful enough to be framed... which is exactly what I intend to do.

Two weeks ago, I announced my Donruss Puzzle project. Since then, I've added the following completed puzzles to my collection:

1986 Donruss Hank Aaron



1988 Donruss Stan Musial



1989 Donruss Warren Spahn



1990 Donruss Carl Yastrzemski



They go nicely with the 1991 Leaf Harmon Killebrew I already owned:


Today, I turn to the internet to see if anyone can help me complete my Ted Williams puzzle:


These pieces were issued into packs of 1984 Donruss Action All-Stars. I busted two boxes of this stuff and came up short. I need one card, the one that has puzzle pieces #1, #2, & #3. If any of you have these pieces, I'd love to trade for them.

I still need help with my 1983 Donruss Action All-Stars puzzle of The Mick:


Although I found one of the cards, I still need the one that has the #7, #8, & #9 pieces.

I'm also looking to trade for the following completed puzzles:

1982 Donruss Babe Ruth
1983 Donruss Ty Cobb
1984 Donruss Duke Snider
1985 Donruss Lou Gehrig
1987 Donruss Roberto Clemente
1991 Donruss Willie Stargell
1992 Donruss Rod Carew

I have extra completed puzzles of Killebrew, Musial, Spahn, and Yastrzemski for trade, along with singles of Mantle and Williams. Please contact me if you're interested in trading.

Friday's question is...

If you could bring Donruss & Dick Perez back together for a new puzzle project, who would you have them create a puzzle of?

Without any hesitation, I'd have them create a Jackie Robinson puzzle. Well... happy Friday everyone. I hope all of you have a great weekend. Sayonara!

5 comments:

Spankee said...

Bryce Harper, of course!

Fuji said...

Of course! I have him pegged as a first ballot HOFer. The guy has a career batting average of .375... INSANE!

Stealing Home said...

the teddy ballgame and killer killabrew puzzles are awesome ! since you chose jackie, i'm gonna propose sandy koufax.

BTW - one of your posts inspired me. when you have some time, stop by my place and check out my riff off your post from last month.

Stealing Home said...

i forgot to mention...the mantle puzzle is kinda bizzaro. at a quick glance, he looks like an alien mantle with eyes in his neck. could just be my bad eyes. LoL

Fuji said...

Koufax is an excellent choice for a Perez puzzle. Just finished reading your post about your office space. Nice stuff... there are a few items that I saw in your collection, that I wish I owned.