30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, October 31, 2020

TWIB: Dodgers, Cardfoolery, and a Pair of Ladies

This has to be one of the roughest weeks in by far the worst year of my lifetime.  Lots of poop hit the fan this week, but nobody wants to read about that.  It's Saturday and if you follow my blog, then you know it's time for This Week in Blogging.

#1The Dodgers Win The World Series!

2002 Topps Archives Autograph #TAA-JPO

Congratulations to Greg, Jim, and all of the other Dodgers card bloggers out there!  It took some digging, but I discovered I had this Johnny Podres autograph sitting in my Archives autograph collectionNight Owl put him atop his list of Dodgers World Series heroes earlier in the week.

1987-88 Fleer #130
2009-10 National Treasures Century Signatures #154
1988 Kenner Starting Lineup

GCRL pointed out that 2020 wasn't the first time the Dodgers and Los Angeles Lakers won titles in the same year.  They also accomplished the feat in 1988.  I could show off a Kirk Gibson card, but as an A's fan... that stirs up painful memories.  So I'll post the 1988 NBA Finals MVP instead.  Okay.  Okay.  Here's the 1988 World Series MVP too...

1988 Topps Big #91

And of course the 2020 World Series MVP:

2010 Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects #108

This is the only Corey Seager that I have scanned.  Picked it up before the 2019 MLB season, because I liked the look of the card and wanted to have a rookie card of him.  It set me back $16.52 on 4 Sharp Corners.


#2Sport Kings Rule

2012 Sport Kings Series E #216
2012 Sport Kings Series E #217

One of my favorite autograph collections are the recent Leaf Sport Kings buyback autographs... which features one of the greatest card designs of all-time.

Earlier in the week, Matthew over at Number 5 Type Collection wrote a fantastic post which covers the the mystery of the 1933 Big League Gum Napoleon Lajoie.  It also touches on the Sport Kings cards from the same era.

If you're a fan of pre-war era cards, I encourage you to click here and check out the post.  He made a sweet looking Lajoie Sport Kings custom that is truly magnificent.


#3 The Bar Has Been Lowered

2008 TriStar Signa-Cuts #NNO

A few years ago, I started a series of posts called Chronicles of Cardfoolery.  It just featured cards that I deemed "silly" or "foolish".  One of the first cards I featured was this Steve Sax autograph that was signed on a label and attached to a piece of cardboard and called a "cut signature".

It doesn't get much "foolish" than that... but last Sunday... I saw something that rivals it over on Sport Card Collectors.  Do yourself a favor and check it out here.  I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to fork over money for cards like these.


#4The Other Sandberg

1983 Topps #282

The 1983 Topps baseball card set is my favorite design from the 80's.  I've loved it since I opened packs of this stuff back in the day and honestly didn't think I'd ever be surprised by a card from this set.  Then I read a post on Sean's blogGetting Back Into Baseball Cards... In Japan which featured the Reggie Smith above.

I can't believe it's taken me almost forty-years to notice that Ryne Sandberg has another card in that set and I owe it all to Sean.  If you're interested in seeing some fantastic Japanese baseball cards, I encourage you to add his blog to your reading list.

Speaking of Japanese...


#5A Pair of Ladies

2008 Bench Warmers Autograph #4
2008 Bench Warmers Autograph #8

On Thursday, Bulldog opened up a pack of 1997 Bench Warmers on his blog (Nothing If Not Random) and it reminded me of these cards which are part of my Japanese PC.  Actually... I haven't officially included them in that collection, because I'm not 100% positive they're Japanese.  But they are 100% attractive.


#6Happy Halloween

The Last of Us Part II

These days, I can barely manage one blogFlywheels has three that I subscribe to and that's not including his participation on A Pack to Be Named Later.  Earlier in the week, he wrote a great video game post discussing games for the Halloween season over on his blogAdventures in Video Games.

I thought I'd share the game I'm currently playing.  I won't even bother trying to review it, but The Last of US Part II has been worth every penny.  I've heard that it isn't as good as the first game, but so far I feel like it's right up there.  It's not exactly a super scary game... but it does have these zombie-like creatures in it.  I think it's perfect for Halloween and helping you take your mind off of this crappy year.

Happy Halloween and sayonara!

17 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nice pair of Sport Kings, and pair of ladies.

Elliptical Man said...

Interesting that they gave it to Seager. I thought it might go to Kershaw.

John Sharp said...

1983 Topps ate one of my favorites as well, and those Bench Warmer Ladies are pretty cool cards.
My Day has been crap, as my arthritis and Fibromyalgia kicked my backside today and my Wolverines list to MSU.

Happy Halloween 🎃.

Big Tone said...

Fuji,you have the dopest, not just card, but collection, period! I love the assortment. It keeps me guessing as to what you'll feature next. I hope everything works out for you these next couple of weeks. I think after the election and once the fallout from that settles, everything will be better. Hang in there,bro and keep up the outstanding work.

John Bateman said...

How come I never meet woman who look like that.

Rebel Coyote said...

Yikes! I have no words for that post from SCC.

bbcardz said...

I really thought that Seager and Kershaw would be co-MVPs but I'm just happy the Dodgers won. I also love that you posted cards of James Worthy. Back in '99 I was working at Staples Center when it first opened. James Worthy comes up to me asking how to get to the building's sports bar and so I walked him over there. He was super nice.

I really hope everything turns out ok for you--keep us posted.

gcrl said...

I hope this week is better for you. Good to see big game James represented!
I draw my line at Tristar signa cuts featuring cut up cards. I won't buy any of the stuff from The Bar even though they feature steve garvey items.

Nick said...

For the life of me I will never understand the appeal of cut autographs. Especially ones of guys who are still alive...

Jafronius said...

Hope you get to rebound after a bad week. Enjoy the PS4 game! I have virtually no time to play but I still get games on clearance...I probably have 30 to 40 PS2 games unopened I got at Target on clearance.

SumoMenkoMan said...

87-88 Basketball, my new fav design. Also, love the ladies!

Peter K Steinberg said...

Very nice cards here and I truly love the Sandberg appearance! That's awesome. Hope you're well and safe.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - as much as i enjoy both of those ladies... i'd take the winfield and carew signatures over them ;D

elliptical man - i was hoping it'd go to kershaw. just glad he'll be receiving a ring next season

john sharp - damn. sorry to hear that john. hope you felt a little better today.

big tone - lol. thanks. i seriously can't imagine it getting worse than last week... but then again after the year we've been having... it's possible. i just can't wait for thanksgiving break.

john bateman - not sure. if you figure it out, please let me know the secret.

rebel coyote - lol. kinda makes me want to start up my own company.

bbcardz - not surprising to hear worthy wanted to know where the bar was. i've heard crazy stories about him and the ladies. as for the stuff i'm dealing with... it's actually more about me stressing over what friends and family are going through. hopefully this week will be a little brighter. can't imagine it getting much darker

gcrl - thanks jim. after this post, i just realized that i don't own an on-card autograph of big game james. might need to do something about that. as for those products... i'd buy it if it was dirt cheap. but it'd have to be really, really cheap.

nick - i don't actively chase cuts... but i can see where player and team collectors want to add them to their collections.

jafronius - i played a little yesterday and a little today. i feel like i'll need to just sit down for like 8 hours straight to finish it. maybe over thanksgiving break. wow... 30 to 40 games? that's very cool. looks like you'll never struggle with boredom

sumomenkoman - i totally agree with you on the 87-88 design. i've actually liked it since the 80's. had a complete set, but sold it back in the 90's when jordan cards started taking off

peter k steinberg - i'm so glad sean wrote that post and opened my eyes to that sandberg. thank goodness for card blogs

Sean said...

Sorry to hear its been a rough week, hope November brings better things for you!

Thanks for the shout out :)

Random other fun fact: that 1983 Topps card is Reggie Smith's last MLB card, but he showed up in Japan after that and appears in the 1984 Calbee set, also in a Giants uniform (only Yomiuri instead of SF).

Fuji said...

sean - thanks. this week has been better. it'd be kinda cool to collect calbee and bbm cards of former mlb players like reggie smith. i'll have to see if i can find an image of the 84 calbee

Matt said...

This end of the week recap post is a great idea! I wished I had thought of it first

Fuji said...

sport card collectors - yeah, i enjoy taking notes throughout the week and writing this post.