30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, February 3, 2020

Two Steps Closer

Back in December... or maybe it was November... I decided to build the 2019 Topps Holiday Relic set.  It's a sixty-four card set and by early January I had narrowed it down to nine cards.  After a few COMC pickups, a pair of eBay purchases, and two blogger trades... I'm down to only needing the Bregman, Acuna, and Arenado.

Adam over at ARPSmith's Sportscard Obsession traded me this Joc Pederson:

2019 Topps Holiday Relic #WHR-JP

In return, I'll be sending him an Evan Longoria from this set... along with a bonus relic for his patience.

The other card I traded for was this Gary Sanchez:

2019 Topps Holiday Relic #WHR-GS

I made a deal with John over at Johnny's Trading Spot.  His Sanchez for a Freddie Freeman.  Unfortunately, I misplaced the card.  But don't worry buddy... I went out and picked up another one on eBay last week.  It should be arriving today or tomorrow.

In addition to the Sanchez, John hooked me up with a bunch of newspaper wrapped packs:


Which when unwrapped looked like this:


Here are a few highlights from his custom packs:

1972 Topps #267

The first card that caught my eye was this Concepcion that was torn in half and taped together.  This card will definitely make it into my damaged card binder.

Here's another card that will be added to the binder:

1998 Ultra #124

Plus a pair of cool Athletics...

1996 Fleer Metal Platinum #101
2007 Topps Gold #227

This Fleer Metal parallel is so awesome!  I'm not really looking to start any new set builds, but I'm tempted to see if there are any large starter lots on eBay.  I also loved this gold parallel of this team card.  The border goes really well with the team colors.

And rounding things out are these mascot stickers:

2019 Topps Stickers

These will join all of the mascots John sent me last summer.  If you combine the two packages, he's sent me close to thirty different mascot cards... which is much appreciated.

Thank you Adam and John for helping me with this set build.  I'm putting the final touches on everyone's care packages and should have them shipped out during my February break.

Oh and before I forget, congratulations to any Kansas City Chiefs fans out there!  I lost $100 on the game.  But it was worth every penny to not have to listen to my students and co-workers throwing another 49er Super Bowl Championship in my face.

I didn't have a lot of time to dig through my stuff, but I did find these two Chiefs sitting in my scan folder:

1997 Finest #269
2018 Playoff Hall of Fame Autographs #20 (#'d 01/25)

I hope all of you enjoyed your Super Bowl Sunday.  Have a happy Monday and sayonara!

11 comments:

Dennis said...

Not gonna lie, that Irabu made me literally LOL! Those custom packs are great.

Base Card Hero said...

McGwire wearing the solid green jersey on that Fleer Metal card makes it really stand out. Nice.

The Bucs Stop Here said...

Ah, I'm too late! I opened one box and my relic was Tatis Jr. - which I imagine many people would love. Just doesn’t have a home in my collection...

Kirk said...

That’s a sweet Concepcion card

The Lost Collector said...

Johns newspaper wrapped packs are always fun!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Great stuff! Glad to see you survived Super Bowl Monday.

bbcardz said...

Nice pickups! Gotta love it when you're getting so close to completing a set, especially a relic set!

arpsmith said...

Glad to help on the set build a bit. I am a fan of the Metal Universe cards as well. I found a box of 1998 Metal Universe a few years back and picked it up and built the set. I would love to track them all down from 1996-1999 one day.

Lee Hero said...

Man you went through that Holiday Relic set fast! I still gotta find the Belli and I'll be done with the Dodgers from it.

Matt said...

Can't wait to see the finished product for the holiday set!

Fuji said...

dennis - i guess fleer needed to work on their quality control ;)

base card hero - i agree. it's a great looking card

the bucs stop here - awesome pull! if you're having trouble trading it, i could always use one for my padres pc

kirk - lol. yup.

the lost collector - very entertaining indeed. provided me with some quality entertainment

sumomenkoman - i did. life was much easier since i didn't have to deal with everyone throwing a 49er super bowl victory in my face ;)

bbcardz - yeah... i dropped the ball and missed out on an ebay auction that contained 2 of the last 3 cards. oh well. i'm sure i'll wrap this up sooner than later

arpsmith - they would look really nice displayed in binders. if i only had the space. thanks again for the trade

lee hero - hmmm. i might have an extra bellinger. not 100% sure though. if you email me your mailing address i'll ship it out to you.

sport card collectors - i hope to be done within the next month or so