30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, February 20, 2020

The Price Was Right

It felt good waking up this morning knowing that with the exception of a lunch date, my entire day's schedule is clear to do whatever I want.  The original plan was to wake up and walk around the Capitol Flea Market, but I decided to continue working on the care packages I'd like to ship out tomorrow.

While going through a box containing my most recent COMC shipment, I found this card:

2005 Upper Deck Classics Moments Autographs #CM-TG

Tony Gwynn has plenty of autographs for collectors to chase, which is why I typically do not go out of my way to buy anymore of his "sticker-graphs".  But the price was right and with a click of a button... this card was part of my inventory and became the 25th autographed card in my Gwynn collection.


I was out of the hobby back in 2005, so I never opened any of this product.  But according to Beckett, Gwynn was a Tier 2 signature with a print run of 299.  It's not exactly rare, but for $29.70 I'm not going to complain.

I also own the memorabilia card of Gwynn from this product:

2005 Upper Deck Classics Moments Materials #CM-TG

Both of these cards celebrate Gwynn's 3,000th hit which took place twenty years ago on August 6th, 1999.  Damn that makes me feel old.


To complete the trifecta for this classic moment in history, I picked up this ticket stub off of COMC this morning for $14.80.

Okay... I'd better get back to those care packages.  If your name has disappeared from my Hit List, then that's a good sign.  It means I've packaged your cards and they'll be shipped out tomorrow.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

Relic cards don't really appeal to me that much but I have to admit that I'm a sucker when a design is used for both a relic and an autograph.

Section 36 said...

Love that ticket stub!

acrackedbat said...

the Exops' stub is fantastic, and a perfect compliment to the auto and relic! Gwynn was a hitting machine. Space does not allow me to collect all the players I've enjoyed over the years. I'm happy to own one Gwynn auto. I pulled it from a random 98 Stadium Club pack years ago.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow, I didn’t realize they sold ticket stubs on COMC. Cool pick up!

The Lost Collector said...

Great autograph. And I love that you picked up the ticket stub to go along with it.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

You know, I may have to check for odd ball stuff on ComC.

GCA said...

2005 UD Classics is an underrated set. But it's one of those that the inserts take the rest of your life to find in dollar boxes. I'm pretty far along, but I don't think I have any of the hits like that. Those are cool.

PK Steinberg said...

What a beautiful card! Congrats on having 25 of them. You should aim to have as many Gwynn hits as he had hits!

shoeboxlegends said...

Great auto, but I'm more surprised that they sell ticket stubs on COMC!

Fuji said...

zippy zappy - yeah, relic cards sure have lost their luster over the years.

section 36 - thanks. i'm happy to add it to my padres collection

acrackedbat - wow. that's awesome! i've been collecting gwynn for over 30 years and never actually pulled his signature.

sumomenkoman - i didn't either. i found it on ebay, but it was comc selling it, so i did a search on their site and it popped up

the lost collector - thanks. the ticket stub was a last second purchase. literally grabbed it yesterday while writing the post

johnnys trading spot - yeah. i might need to look up more ticket stubs

gca - had to look up the base card on comc to see if i recognize it. i do, but don't think i've ever had the opportunity to open it up. might have stumbled across singles from collection purchases though

pk steinberg - thanks. 3,000 gwynn autographs? not even sure i have 1,000 autographs in my collection. it's a lofty goal though. i'd probably settle for 3,000 different gwynn cards.

shoeboxlegends - i was as surprised as you are.

Base Card Hero said...

Awesome Gwynn's and AWESOME ticket stub! Money well spent!

Fuji said...

Thanks. Lately, I've been very picky on how I spend my money in regards to the hobby. I'm excited to request my COMC shipment and get this ticket in my hands.