30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, November 9, 2020

Unexpected But Much Appreciated

Winter doesn't officially start for another forty-two days, but this morning it sure felt like it arrived early and I could not be happier.  Cold weather means it is "hoodie" season... and that's my favorite time of the year.

It was freezing last night... which was unexpected... but much appreciated.  In fact it was so coldI couldn't get myself to crawl out of bed on time.  I hit "snooze" at least four or five times and according to my Fitbit, got the best sleep score in over a month.  Unfortunately that extra hour of sleep ate up the bulk of the time I set aside to write this post.

No worries though.  I worked on it a little between classes and during my lunch and clicked "publish" with time to spare.  Okay enough blabbing about the cold weather.  Let's check out some of the beautiful 2x3 pieces of cardboard that JediJeff sent my way...

1983 Topps Traded #87T

Yes... I already own a copy of this card, but it's part of my complete set.  I've actually been wanting to pick up another one for several years.  This one is going into my A's collection.

2005 Topps Pristine Personal Pieces Relics #PPC-BZ (#'d 157/425)

Anyone else miss Johnny's Shadow Shots posts?  Zito's shadow looks like a dinosaur with a PAC-MAN head... or maybe some locking pliers.

2007 Topps Turkey Red Relics #TRR-TB

Back in 2007, this product was released right around the same time I was returning to the hobby.  I don't think I opened any of this stuff up... but if I had and pulled this card... it would have been quite the hitBuck was one of the top prospects in the A's organization.

2020 Topps Archives Silver #219 (#'d 97/99)

This card is proof that border colors matter.  I've never really been a fan of the 2002 Topps baseball card design, but after seeing this silver parallel from this year's Archives, I kinda like it.  And the card back design is solid with the secondary color photo and full career statistics.

2012 Gypsy Queen Gold #294
2014 Gypsy Queen White #191

My favorite thing about Gypsy Queen has always been the framed parallels.  If you don't agree, feel free to send any unwanted ones my way.

And rounding out Jeff's care package was this solid 9-pocket page of stars, parallels, inserts, and rookie cards:


Thank you Jeff for this unexpected... but much appreciated care package!  I noticed that you are building this year's Allen and Ginter set.  I opened up a blaster of the stuff and should be able to help you out.  I'll try to look over your list this afternoon and send them out soon.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Jeff Laws said...

You're in California so was it really cold? I mean, it's shorts weather here until it dips below 50.

Jeff is one of my favorite trade partners, but that's probably because he collects Sox cards. I like the Rollie Fingers Archive card, I'm not sure why but it stands out to me.

JediJeff said...

Glad you liked it. It was a way overdue mailing, so hopefully a few things will help. If you need more of the A's 83 traded cards, I picked up a set for like a buck at Goodwill and broke out the Sox for my Sox box. Have more A's in the trade box.

Brett Alan said...

Here on the opposite coast it's been unusually warm for this time of year. For the last few days I've been able to go out walking in shorts and get some sunshine. Won't have many opportunities like that for a while.

I'm not sure what that square behind Tony Phillips is (a vent, maybe?) but it almost looks like a relic swatch! Of course there was no such thing as a relic card when that was made....

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome! Fellow bloggers never cease to amaze me! Such generosity!

bbcardz said...

Here in SoCal I'm so glad we're done with those really hot days (at least for awhile). Very nice pickups you got there, congrats!

Matt said...

Just glad to see Jedijeff is still here. Miss his blogging!

Fuji said...

jeff laws - i realize other parts of the country get much colder weather, but to me the 30's are chilly. i definitely wear shorts and hoodies from the mid 50's up. and that rollie is nice. the silver border sure makes a huge different (imho)

jedijeff - wow. the 83tt set for a buck? that's a sweet find. i'll have to see what other a's are on the checklist

brett alan - glad the weather is nice out there. i should clarify that during the day, it got into the low 60's yesterday which was perfect. it just got really cold the past two evenings. didn't realize that box until you pointed it out. kinda does look like a relic swatch (especially since it's just placed in the middle of the card with no rhyme or reason... which is something topps sometimes does)

sumomenkoman - 100% agree buddy

bbcardz - yeah, i'm not a fan of weather over 72 degrees.

sport card collectors - glad he's able to publish a few times a year. hopefully one day he'll return to blogging a few times a week.

The Snorting Bull said...

Nice batch of cards. Love the Fleer Fall Classics card. That's an underrated product that I wished had stuck around.

Fuji said...

the snorting bull - i had just left the hobby went that product came out, so i never opened it up. but i have received a few singles from that set over the years. nice looking cards