30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, November 5, 2020

A Dozen Doughnuts

One of my students once told me and her classmates that "you can't trust a person who doesn't like doughnuts".  And although that may not be 100% true, she has the numbers on her side.  Sure some of you might prefer toast or bagels over these sweet, ring-shaped breakfast treats... but according to this website, 91% out of 1,000 people surveyed either like or love doughnuts.  That's a solid number.

2010 Archie McPhee Super Awesome! #17

And if you clicked that link, you might have noticed that back on June 5, we celebrated National Donut Day.  Well guess what.  Doughnuts are loved so much, it has a second National Day: today.



In honor of this day of sweet celebration, I thought I'd show off a dozen Tony Gwynn cards featuring the non-edible kind of doughnut.

2000 UD Yankee Legends Legendary Pinstripes #EH-LP

The one invented by Elston Howard to help hitters increase their bat speed.

Enjoy...

1988 Topps Box Bottom #F

1989 O-Pee-Chee Stickers #50

I never said Gwynn was going to be the one using all of the doughnuts.

1992 Pinnacle #591

Back to back Dodgers.  

1992 Barry Colla All-Star Game #18

1992 Fleer Ultra Gwynn Commemorative #1

1994 Bowman #120

1995 Bowman #304

Back to back Bowmans.

1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated Then and Now #90

2000 Topps Stars #170

2003 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites #103

This card is receiving a lot of love lately.  It was just featured yesterday on Jongudmund's blog.

2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Glory of Their Time #15 GOT

And last, but not least, a mystery guy on the on-deck circle holding a doughnut...

2005 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Classic #89

I'm sure someone out there knows who this is.  Rod?


I'm guessing Ken Caminiti, but it's purely a guess.  If you know who that is, feel free to leave the name in the comment section below along with your response to today's question of the day...

What's your doughnut of choice?

As a kid, there were few things aesthetically pleasing as tapping the bat knob on the ground as you were walking out of the on-deck circle and having the doughnut slide off of your bat.  I'm sure nobody else was thinking it... but I felt like the coolest kid in the world.

These days... give me a quality glazed doughnut and I'm a happy camper.

Happy National Doughnut Day and sayonara!

21 comments:

John Sharp said...

Boston Cream. Easily the best.

sg488 said...

Caminiti and Glazed.

runfore!kelloggs baseball cards said...

I've posted about donuts before because that's what we ate. I thought someone would offer up (G)Winchells.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

I also thought Caminiti. And glazed for me too

Brett Alan said...

I don't usually eat a lot of doughnuts, but since the pandemic has made drive-throughs more appealing than going into stores, I've been hitting Dunkin' every week or two. My go-tos are the vanilla creme-filled and chocolate creme-filled, although most of the time they don't have more than a couple of them.

Now, if I could get my hands on Beard Papa Cream Puffs, I'd have no need for donuts. When I'm in Singapore there are several outlets around. There's also one near my Dad in New York, but they don't have a drive-through, and I'm not going into the shop.

CrazieJoe said...

There's something I never thought I'd miss with working from home - doughnuts at work every Friday. I can't be bothered going out and getting one myself...probably a good thing.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Never met a donut I didn’t like. Really like your card topic choice, no surprise I’m sure given my phone card and other random chases.

night owl said...

I wrote about donut/doughnut cards this year, too:

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2020/04/id-love-to-have-another-donut.html

I like how your student thinks: you can't trust a person who doesn't like desserts either. I don't have a favorite donut. I like just about all of them, except those fool jelly ones or when people load them up with pink frosting.

Rod (Padrographs) said...

I have always thought it was Caminiti and maple bar with bacon it.

The Lost Collector said...

Big fan of a good apple cider donut in the fall.

I had no idea that Elston Howard was the man behind the bat donut. Thanks for the education.

Fuji said...

john sharp - vanilla pudding with chocolate ice cream is an excellent combination

sg488 - hard to top a good glazed doughnut.

runfore!kelloggs - ooh... winchells was my goto spot back in high school. the one time i was caught cutting class we were picked up at a winchells

jeff b - you, sg488, and i should start a club

brett alan - my brother lives right by a beard papa. i haven't over there since the pandemic hit though... but i do enjoy a good cream puff. as for dunkin, haven't been to one in a very long time. i found a great doughtnut shop about 20 minutes away that has taken my mind off of all other doughnut places. and since it's a 40 minute roundtrip experience, i don't hit it up very often (once a month if i'm lucky)

crazie joe - lol. that's true. my friends and i are always bringing in doughtnuts or bagels on friday. or should i say... we used to

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - i'm usually too lazy to do the research for this post, but i had a blast flipping through my gwynn binders looking for doughnuts. maybe next year, i'll flip through my vintage binder

night owl - as soon as i saw all of those 80's donut cards on your post... i remembered it. i was thinking about doing a vintage/80's version of this post, but it looks like you have it covered already. yeah, i'm not big on pink frosting, but the doughnut place i go to has some delicious jelly doughnuts.

rod - i'll trust your call. as for maple with bacon... i think the only time i've ever had that (and it was amazing) was in portland at voodoo.

the lost collector - ooh. never heard of an apple cider donut... but it sounds amazing. lol. i'm pretty sure i learned that from night owl's post.

Nick Vossbrink said...

In late with a shout out to the chocolate old fashioned (especially from Stans in Santa Clara)

Apple Cider donuts were something I discovered out here in NJ and they're excellent too.

Grant said...

Sure looks like Ken Cam. Also, frosted with sprinkles for me please.

Jongudmund said...

When I blogged that Sweet Spot card I said I thought it was Ken Caminiti. It's very sad that he had already passed away when it was printed

Peter K Steinberg said...

Darn you, Mark! Now I need a doughnut.

The Snorting Bull said...

I am a fan of Krispy Kreme, also the World's Fair Doughnuts in St. Louis.

The only race I have ever run in my life involved Krispy Kremes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBqhhcmWYw

There is an ESPN video where one of their anchors ran the race in a suit a few years back.

Adam Kaningher said...

mmm doughnuts.

Been a while since I've had once since I haven't been to the office since March. I don't like filled pastries, but I'll go for anything else containing chocolate.

Matt said...

Hmmm donuts. Insert homer Simpson

Fuji said...

nick vossbrink - that's the place i drive to for my glazed doughnuts. amazing. i'm very interested in trying one of these apple cider doughnuts one day

grant - frosted with sprinkles are definitely one of the favorites among my students year in and year out

jongudmund - yeah, i thought about the fact that this card was released after his death too.

peter k steinberg - sorry. i'm not always such a bad influence. did you grab one? what kind?

the snorting bull - that sounds like a fantastic "run". definitely challenging. i think the 12 doughnuts might actually be the toughest part

adam kaningher - i'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. i absolutely love filled pastries

sport card collectors - dang. probably should have looked for a homer eating donuts card. has to be one out there, right?

Nick Vossbrink said...

Yeah pretty much anything Stans makes is top-notch and their fresh glazeds are amazing too. (also their maple bars)

Fuji said...

i'll have to try out their maple bar the next time i go