30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Twenty-Two Dollar Woman

My memory isn't what it used to be.  That's one of the reasons I started this blog.  Of course I enjoy writing about my recent purchases and additions to the collection.  But ultimately this blog serves as a journal, so that one day I'll be able to go back and reflect if I choose to do so.

The bottom line is the older I get, the less I remember about my youth.  I'm always impressed when I read blog posts about specific sporting events people attended or the first trading card someone owned.

When it comes to stuff in the 70's, my life is slowly becoming a blurDid I attend baseball games at the Coliseum or Candlestick?  Yup.  Can I remember any of the specifics?  Nope.

The same rule applies to television shows.  I remember watching Happy Days, Good Times, Charlie's Angels, and The Six Million Dollar Man.  But I wouldn't be able to hold my own in a lunchtime conversation regarding any of these shows.

Yet... when I pulled a Lee Majors autograph out of a pack last year, I was pretty stoked:

2014 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #MAJ

This card took me back to my childhood when I'd sit down in front of the boob tube mesmerized by this guy jumping over walls and chasing down cars with his bionic limbs.  I immediately wanted to add the signature of The Bionic Woman to pair with it. 

Well nine months later, I did:

2014 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #WAG

I've been targeting eBay listings since that box break and finally won this card with a bid of $17.09.  After shipping and tax were applied, the total came out to be $22.42.  It's $2.42 more than I wanted to spend... but part of me felt it was worth it to finally cross this off my wantlist.

Okay... I know most of you came here to check out baseball cards, so here are two more autographs:

BornFebruary 9th, 1975

BornApril 4th, 1975

How are Vladimir Guerrero and Scott Rolen related to Majors and Wagner?  Well both of these guys were born right around the same time Wagner made her first appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man show back on March 16th, 1975.

Okay peeps.  That's all I have for today.  Happy Thursday and sayonara!

15 comments:

gcrl said...

great autos! i was a huge fan of the six-million dollar man and the bionic woman! i didn't have oscar goldman, but i did have a steve austin action figure.

acrackedbat said...

oh wow Fuj! $22??? That is a steal for this one! It's on my wish list! Please read my most recent post of how people give me things. LOL! Congrats!

The Lost Collector said...

Signature Series is so awesome. Also, my memory is crap.

Sean said...

Oh awesome, I am the same age as Guerrero so I guess I was born during the Bionic Man's original run (I can barely remember watching it when I was really little....I have a lot better memories of C.H.I.Ps and the Dukes of Hazard from that genre of late 70s TV).

Jon said...

Very cool! Both of those GA autos have been wants of mine for almost six years now, one of these days I might have to actually start trying a little harder to get them.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Ditto on those shows. These Panini autograph cards may be my favorite Paninis.

SumoMenkoMan said...

What’s the story with Lee Majors and the football? Have only watched bits and pieces of the show every now and them. Congrats on the pickup!

Matt said...

Huh, Scott Rolen is 6 days younger than me!

CaptKirk42 said...

Cool post all the way around. Retroing back to 70s TV shows. Love it. Nice Donruss Baseball Autos as well. I keep forgetting that Scott Rolen is a fellow April 4ther. I need to make a list somewhere and refer to it often when looking for stuff.

Brett Alan said...

Majors played college football at Indiana and Eastern Kentucky. He was injured in his first game after transferring to Eastern Kentucky.

GCA said...

Those Golden Age autos are EPIC! Gotta git me some.

I still can't look at Lee Majors and not think about that "bionic" sound, "ch ch ch cha cha cha da da da da..."

Baltmoss68 said...

One episode Steve quarterbacked for some retired pros making a guest appearance. He also used his bionic arm to knockout the bad guy with a well placed pass!

Bulldog said...

Great cards and I don't blame you for chasing that Lindsay Wagner. I had a huge crush on her as well in my youth. sweet

Bulldog said...

So true!

Fuji said...

gcrl - not sure if i owned one of those steve austin figures too... but i think there's a chance i did. last year i saw a guy with one in the original box at a local flea market and was pretty jealous.

acrackedbat - are you referring to the cake post? lol. that was hilarious.

the lost collector - dude. the whole memory thing sucks. one of my biggest strengths in my youth was my memory. not anymore ;)

sean - chips and dukes of hazzard were awesome! but if i had to pick favorites... i think mine would be battlestar galactica and three's company

jon - you might be in luck. i feel like they're slowly going down in price. i think a wagner sold for like $12 this week

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - panini definitely did a great job with their golden age product line... and i think the 2014 autograph set design is my favorite.

sumomenkoman - i was wondering about the football thing too. as for bits and pieces, i watched the show back in the day, but only remember bits and pieces

bret alan - thanks. great info. love trivial stuff like that

baltmoss68 - i'll have to look for that episode to see which qb's made a guest appearance. thanks for the information

matt - nice. possible pc guy?

captkirk42 - wow. it'd be pretty cool to share a birthday with a guy like rolen. kevin orie is the only mlb player to share a birthday with me

gca - oh... my memory is bad, but i can still pull up that sound in my head anytime i want.

bulldog - she was so hot!