30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Desert Island Cardboard

I'm sure most of us have sat down with friends and played the "Desert Island" game.  Just curious... why not "Deserted Island"?  Anyways... the premise is simple.  You're going to be stranded on a desert island, what ______________ would you bring?

Today's post is a response to a Blog Bat Around started by Peter over at Baseball Every Night.  The task is to write a post about the five baseball cards you'd take with you.  It doesn't seem like there are any strict rules, so I'm sure any trading card would be okay with him.

When I read his post it was right before bedtime, so my mind went in a few different directions in an effort to build my list.  But after a few days... here's what I settled on...


Card #12018 Upper Deck Canine Collection #328


This might be a head-scratcher for you and the rest of the people reading this post.  But if I'm headed to a desert island, I'm going to feel lonely.  And there's nothing that could ease my anxiety better than a pair of Bernese Mountain Dogs.


Card #22013 BBM Dancing Heroine #09


The dogs would provide one kind of companionshipRiho would be another.


Card #32008-09 Topps Chrome Basketball #24


This card wouldn't be a part of this post three months ago.  But a lot has changed since then.  I've been watching tons of interviews and highlight reels of Kobe lately and he's become a very inspirational figure.

Living on a desert island would present a lot of challenges and there'd likely be times when I'd just want to give up hope.  That's when I'd put this card on top of the stack.


Card #42017 UD Goodwin Champions World Traveler Map Relics #WT-16


This card was a last minute substitution.  I had originally planned on bringing my 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card as a reminder of my childhood.  But while writing this post, I saw this card on my desk and made the switch.

To some, the Golden Gate Bridge is a symbol of perseverance and determinationMe?  It represents the Bay Area... my home.


Card #51956 Topps #30


Did you really think I'd write a post without a baseball card?  I wouldn't leave you guys hanging like that.  Plus... this is arguably my favorite card in the collection and it's easily my favorite baseball card.

Plus if #42 could survive death threats and be the recipient of discrimination from his colleagues... then hopefully I'd be able to survive living on a sandy beach drinking coconut water and eating soft shelled crab the rest of my life.

Thank you Peter for inspiring this post.  And to my fellow bloggers... I'd love see your response to the latest Blog Bat Around.  If you do, don't forget to leave a link in the comment section on Peter's original post.

Or at the very least, share the five trading cards you'd bring with you to a desert island in the comment section down below.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

6 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Upper Deck Canine Collection? My daughter will love those!

Peter K Steinberg said...

Great and thoughtful post! Thank you for playing! Let's hope if we ever end up on an island it's actually a Dessert Island.

Jon said...

I knew that #5 was gonna make the list, but the other four were a complete surprise, which makes these kinds of posts just that much better!

Nick said...

I know my '52 Hoyt Wilhelm & '73 Clemente would be coming with me. After that I'd have to narrow it down between a few others. Also why am I bringing baseball cards with me on a deserted island instead of food and water?

The Management said...

Kobe Bryant was also a rapist. How has he inspired you?

Fuji said...

the angels in order - wish i could point you in the right direction. i don't know anything about this product, but i did find this card on comc. there are plenty of dogs to choose from over there

peter k steinberg - very true. it's 5:35am and i'm tempted to go eat some cookies for breakfast

jon - had to include a baseball card. nobody would read this post without it ;)

nick - who needs food and water when we have cards. ;)

the management - we're human. nobody is perfect. my father is my hero and inspiration... but he's not a saint. i'm able to look at him and pick out the things i want to follow his lead on... then separate his mistakes and try to avoid repeating history. although kobe isn't my hero, he is inspirational (to me). that doesn't mean, i support every little thing he's done.