30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, March 2, 2020

Sports Card Soothsayer

We're about two weeks away from the Ides of March and after opening up a package yesterday afternoon... I kinda feel like we have a sports card soothsayer among us in the blogosphere.

Two weeks ago, I received a PWE from Jim over at cards as i see them.  Inside were these nine cards:


The first seven helped me get seven steps closer to completing my 2004 UD Legends Timeless Teams set.


Between Jim's cards and a recent Sportlots order, I'm down to six cards on my wantlist.  In addition to my set needs, he also sent me my very first 2020 Topps card:

2020 Topps #89

I'm still trying to figure out which side of the line I'm standing on in regards to this year's flagship design.  One thing is certain.  I love the photography.  And it's always nice when the first flagship addition to your collection is a favorite player.

But none of these cards have anything to do with my "soothsayer" statement at the beginning of the post.  It has everything to do with this Kobe...

1998-99 UD Choice Preview #69

Last Monday, Jim showed off this card on his blog and I commented that this has to be one of the greatest photographs of the Black Mamba on cardboard.  What I didn't write was how badly I wanted to add a copy of this card to my collection.  Yet somehow he knew one week before I left a comment on his blog and at least two weeks before I opened his PWE.  I'm impressed.

Hey Jim, let me know if you have any visions of lottery numbers pop into your head in the near future.  And thank you very much for the cards.  I foresee a PWE headed your way in the near future.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nice Kobe.

RunForeKelloggs said...

I've seen the Ides of March in concert ... more than once. Not that I am a groupie, but they are nearby.

Brett Alan said...

Not a groupie...just a friendly stranger in a black sedan? B^)

The Lost Collector said...

That is a great Kobe!

SumoMenkoMan said...

The photography for 2020 Topps is spot on this year. 2020 Heritage looks really sharp too.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - discovered on comc that there are several versions of this card. i'm on a mission to track them all down

runforekelloggs - never heard of the group, but i'll try to check them out on youtube

brett alan - ;D

the lost collector - such a great looking card. even the design is solid.

sumomenkoman - totally agree. love the action shots in heritage

GCA said...

I mentioned on Night Owl's site that I have a Suzuki Heritage for you and will look for a second Kurt WS card too.

gcrl said...

I figures it fit better in your collection than mine. I still have a couple of cards with Kobe on them, however, thanks to crossover sets where he appeared with dodgers.

Fuji said...

gca - thanks greg! appreciate you looking out for me

gcrl - it's a great looking card. there are two other versions and my goal is to track down both of them