30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Blog Trade #36: Shoebox Legends

The San Jose Sharks changed my life.  Seriously.  Thanks to them, I started to seriously collect hockey cards in the early 90's.  In fact... during that decade it's probably fair to say that I was into hockey as much as baseball, football, and basketball.

And one of my favorite sets from that time period is the 1990-91 OPC Premier hockey set.  The design and rookie card checklist made this one of the most popular hockey sets of the Junk Wax Era.  I'm pretty sure I spent around $5/pack for these cards in search of Jaromir Jagr and Sergei Fedorov rookie cards:



The checklist also includes rookie cards of Mike Modano, Jeremy Roenick, and Mats Sundin:


And thanks to Shane over at Shoebox Legends, I am now the proud owner of this iconic set.  Last week, he wrote a post on his blog about this set.  I left a comment stating that I needed to pick up this set for my collection and he offered to send one my way... no strings attached.

Well Shane... Fuji (don't you love it when people talk about themselves in the third person?) don't play that.  I've picked up a few Red Sox cards that hopefully you'll be able to use.  They should be in the mail no later than Tuesday.

Thanks again for the set.  I'm so excited to add it to my collection.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

8 comments:

shoeboxlegends said...

Awesome, glad everything arrived safely. Glad my duplicate set can enjoy a good home, thanks for sending a return package!

Swing And A Pop-up said...

That is a great set, and what I remember most about it is that it made the 1991 OPC Premier Baseball set expensive...at least in 1991.
Of course that's when I was buying packs...I believe 3 or 4 dollars a piece.

sg488 said...

I remember paying $4 a pack for these back in the day.Sad to see another really nice set that never appreciated in value,I think I will go on E-Bay and pick one up for $10 shipped.

Ana Lu said...

They look great! I bought a '92 Premier box but baseball version. Still have to close that set.

Fuji said...

It's the least I could do. Hopefully you're able to use everything I sent.

Fuji said...

I remember it driving the price up on baseball too. That stuff crashed a lot earlier than the hockey did.

Fuji said...

At $10/set, it'd be the best bang for a buck. There are so many awesome rookie cards... plus most of the big names from the late 80's and early 90's.

Fuji said...

I opened a bunch of the 92 Premier baseball, but got rid of that stuff when I sold off my collection in the early 2000's. Best of luck on finishing that set.