30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sports Card Trifecta #20: Brett Favre

In a few hours the San Francisco 49ers will be taking on one of my favorite teams... the Green Bay Packers.  And I can't really explain why... but it made me think of the rivalry they had during the mid 90's when Steve Young and Jerry Rice battled Brett Favre and Antonio Freeman.

The difference is... the tables have turned.  Back then, I always felt confident that the Packers would handle their business... especially if they were playing at Lambeau Field.  However in the last sixteen months they've gone 0-3 against the red and gold.

So today, I figured I'd bring back some of that old school 90's mojo with my first Sports Card Trifecta in eleven months.  

Brett Favre helped turn the Green Bay Packers franchise around and he quickly became a fan favorite.  He became my favorite.  He was the centerpiece of my football collection for many, many years.  In fact when I sold off my collection in 2001, I held onto several Favres for sentimental reasons.

Now I'm not going to lie... it was hard to like him those two seasons he wore a Minnesota Vikings jersey.  But thankfully, those days are behind him.

And today I present to you my Brett Favre Sports Card Trifecta:

Memorabilia Card: 2008 UD Masterpieces "Captured on Canvas" #CC11



Rookie Card: 1991 Stadium Club #94



Autographed Card2006 Sweet Spot #36



During the 90's, Favre led the Packers to a 6-1 record against the 49ers.  And although I'm not too superstitious... I'm hoping Favre and this post can bring a little luck to Rodgers and company... because they're going to need all the help they can get if they want to take down one of the best teams in the league.

Go Pack Go!

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Hackenbush said...

As a Bears fan you can imagine how I feel. I'll be rooting for the Niners but I'm mostly interested in seeing how they all handle the cold. As of right now where I live (about 300 miles southwest of Green Bay ) it's 4 below with a 28 below windchill (and dropping).

unclemoe said...

Ouch.

Daniel Wilson said...

Congrats on the trifecta! Favre is one of only a few football autographs that I want.

JediJeff said...

I'd rather neither team wins cuz I be hating them both. :)

Fuji said...

Thanks. I've been wanting a Sweet Spot helmet autograph of him for a long time. It's one of my favorite cards in the collection.

gcrl said...

The nfc championship game used to be the 'real' super bowl imo.

Fuji said...

It might turn out to be that way again this year... Carolina, Seattle, and San Francisco are all arguably top notch teams. Although I'm sure Denver and New England fans might beg to differ.

Play at the Plate said...

That Sweet Spot auto is...well, sweet. Nice one.