30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Earl Weaver & Book Values

One of my buddy's is a stickler when it comes to Beckett book value.  The thing is... he's one of the last people on the planet who doesn't use eBay, so he has no concept of "completed sales" or "fair market value".

Usually it hinders any kind of transaction between us, but recently he handed me a stack of cards he was looking to dump at a third of book.  Most of the stuff was garbage, but I was able to find one card I'd be willing to open my wallet for.

It's this 2003 Topps Retired Earl Weaver "on card" autograph...


This is one of those instances where Beckett is actually pretty accurate on their pricing.  They list this card at $6 (low book) to $15 (high book) and recent eBay sales seem to support Beckett.

That's why I was pretty excited to add this beautiful card to my collection for a crisp five dollar bill.  I really like how the blue ink stands out on the white background.

Plus he's a hall of famer and was one of my favorite managers to watch during the 80's.  I loved how he'd get into it with umpires and literally go crazy.  In his seventeen years of being the Orioles skipper, he won four American League pennants, one World Series, and had five 100+ win seasons.  Out of all of those years, he only had one losing season... his final year of managing

Miss ya Earl!

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

7 comments:

The Prowling Cat said...

I used to love the stories as a kid of all the things he would say or do to umpires that got him tossed. Those stories alone will always make the man a legend in my opinion.

shoeboxlegends said...

Total score, I've been in the market for a Weaver auto for some time now and would shell out a 5 for that any day. Nice pick-up!

Hackenbush said...

I have that one as well though I have no idea what I paid for it. Question. Is yours still in the case? Do you prefer them that way or do you take them out? I keep them encased.

deal said...

I am a fan of 2003 Topps Retired auto set. sharp looking base set design with a nice fade added for the autos.

When I was a kid I was at an O's game where they honored Weaver with a 2nd hat that they said allowed him to argue w/ 2 umps at once.

Commishbob said...

Earl was one of a kind! That's a great pickup, Fuji. Love that card.

Fuji said...

I busted it out of the case, because it was scratched. I have kept a few of them encased... but only if it's the case looks good.

Eric Bracke said...

Awesome card and great pickup Fuji. Congrats!