30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Flea Market Flops #2: Pogs, Becketts, Bobbles, and Packs

Round two... ding, ding.

I have to admit... I dropped the ball on this series.  The plan was to start documenting my not so positive flea market experiences.  In other words, review items I was interested in, but ended up passing up for one reason or another.

A few days ago, I wrote about the new flea market I walked around on Saturday and the pretty cool purchases I made.  However, I failed to mention that I also went out to my normal venue on Sunday (Capitol Flea Market) and ended up walking away empty handed.  

Here are a few of the items that caught my attention.

Hand Painted Barry Bonds Bobble Head $10


I know that there are a lot of people who can't stand Barry, but living in the Bay Area... I'd have no problem finding a home for this bobble.  Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to pay over $5.


Pail of Packs $10


Let me clarify.  It's a pail of opened packs that contained two or three inserts with some base cards of players like Jeter and A-Rod.  But the guy's price was a little to rich for my taste.  I didn't bother to counter his offer, because I didn't want to offend him.


Binder of Becketts $30


I love reading back issues of Beckett... especially if they're from the late 80's or early 90's.  They're a great way to go back and get in touch with the past.  But this vendor was not very realistic.  $30 for three Becketts is a little steep.  This was another situation where I didn't even bother to counter, but when I put the binder down he told me that he'd take $15.  I just waved goodbye and walked away.


Collection of POGs $40


I know what you're about to ask.  Why in the world would you want these?  Well... I'm not really sure. But if the price was right, I would have grabbed them.  As you can see... the price was wrong.  Very wrong.

And finally...

Stacks of Gentlemen's Magazines $???


I have no idea how much the vendor wanted, but I immediately thought to myself... who the heck buys 2nd hand magazines of this nature.  Just saying.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

1. Weird bobble
2. Overpriced junk wax
3. WAY overpriced Becketts, but that's sort of fitting don't you think? They are the KING of overpriced.
4. Pogs were big win I was in Hawaii in the service.
5. Creepy...

Commishbob said...

"second hand magazines"... LOL I see what you did there.

The Junior Junkie said...

"second hand" = "the stranger"

My buddy got a stack of old 70's/80's MAD magazines last time we hit the flea market. They were amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's OK because it's Playboy, and guys buy Playboy for the articles, right? :-)

Chris P said...

I really wish I could find a place that sold old Becketts. I would love to re-read those from the 90's. Would bring back so many memories.

Brad's Blog said...

POGS! They were all the rage when I was in fourth grade!

Fuji said...

Yeah... the Becketts were insanely overpriced. I'm still debating on which one was the worst deal... those price guides or the pogs.

Fuji said...

lol... gross.

Fuji said...

I'm always on the lookout for older issues of MAD magazines (one of my favorite magazines when I was a kid). Not all second hand magazines are bad ;-)

Fuji said...

Lol. You're 100% correct.

Fuji said...

A while back, one of my LCS's busted out all of their back issues and I picked out a bunch. Since then, I'll buy them whenever I see them at the flea market too. They sit on my office shelf and every once in awhile I'll use them for a post... or to reflect on the past.

Fuji said...

They were a little past my time. I think I was in college when they peaked in the 90's, but I remember my dad telling me about how they used to play with them in Hawaii when he was a kid.