30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My First Contest of the Year

It's been close to three months since my last contest, but it's time to get back into the season of giving and share some of my cardboard wealth.  Over the weekend, I attended a card show and picked up several 1996 Denny's Hologram sets.

The Cardboard Gods must have been reading my blog, because I just so happened to write a post a few weeks ago on these awesome cards.


If you enjoy them as much as I do, here's your chance to own the complete twenty-eight card set.  The checklist contains a solid collection of players, including several of my favorite players:  Greg Maddux, Tony Gwynn, Frank Thomas, Hideo Nomo, Ozzie Smith, and Kirby Puckett.




How do you enter?  It's simple...

A.  Follow my blog and (in the comments below) tell me which of the twenty-eight players (in the set) is your favorite for one contest entry.

B.  At the card show, I stood at this guy's dime boxes for nearly three hours and purchased 380 cards.  How many of those cards were new additions to my Tony Gwynn binder?  Anyone who guesses correctly will receive an additional contest entry.

C.  There were a few vintage cards from that dime box purchase too.  Guess the year of the oldest card(s) I picked up.  Everyone who guesses correctly will receive an additional contest entry.

D.  And I'll give you one final opportunity to earn a bonus contest entry.  In my card show post, I showed off nine of the 380 dime box cards.  One of those nine was a card on my top 10 wantlist.  What card do you think I'm talking about?  Click here to see the post.  Everyone who responds with the correct answer will receive an additional contest entry.

I'll post the answers to the bonus contest entries this Friday at around 3pm (PST), so you have between now and then to get submit your responses.  This weekend, I'll throw everyone's entries into random.org and hit randomize five times.  The person on top wins the set.

Best of luck!  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

20 comments:

Comatoad said...

The Toad is in the House
A. Tony Gwynn, Mr. Padre
B. 32
C. 1962
D. The 1993 Topps Gold Tony Gwynn

Paul Hadsall said...

A) Ryne Sandberg
B) 12
C) 1958
D) 1975 Topps Mini Herb Washington

Corky said...

A. Jay Buhner (my second favorite Mariner after Griffey)
B. 7
C. 1972
D. 1975 Topps mini Washington

Play at the Plate said...

Already following.
A. Pudge
B. 39
C. 1971
D. The Gwynn gold winner

arpsmith said...

A. Barry Bonds
B. 15
C. 1969
D. Herb Washington

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Following, Maddux is my pick, 37 Gwynn adds, oldest 1959, and the 1975 Herb Washington.

Nice haul btw.

Matt Pederson said...

Following
A) Ryne Sandberg
B) "69! Take the number 69! It's hilarious!"
C) 1962
D) Iwakuma Bowman Chrome

Great grab on the $1 Malkin jersey, btw

defgav said...

A) Gwynn
B) 80
C) 1959
D) Herb Washington

Thanks for the contest and nice work on the gif. :)

Captain Canuck said...

my cat is mesmerized by your flashing card...

a) Greg Maddux
b) 101
c)1975
d) '75 Herb Washington mini

irondequoit36 said...

Following:
A- Frank Thomas
B- 56
C-1967
D- Gaylord Perry

Dion's IP Autos only said...

Follower here!
A) Kirby Puckett
B) 8
C) 1967
D) Tony Gwynn Gold Winners

Unknown said...

a) Either Cecil Fielder or Moises Alou
B.) 25
C) 1973
D) Herb Washington

cynicalbuddha said...

a) for lack of a brewer in the set I'll pick my favorite modern non-brewer Frank Thomas
b)14
c)1972
d) Pete Rose

The Lost Collector said...

MOONS OVER MY HAMMY!

A. Boggs
B. 23
C. 1965
D. Herb Washington

petethan said...

A: The Tornado, Hideo Nomo
B: 16 Gwynns
C: 1957
D: Herb Washingt... whoops, he got picked off before I could finish!

Thanks!

hockey kazi said...

A) Joe Carter
B) 21 Gwynns
C) 1957
D) Washington

Chuck's Used Cards said...

A) Cal Ripkin,Jr
B) 13 Gwynns
C) 1961
D) 1975 Herb Washington

Thanks for sharing your adventure !

Brad's Blog said...

A)Frank Thomas
B)37 Gwynn's
C) 1957
D) Herb Washington

And who said Denny's grand slam breakfast wasn't good for you!

Wilson said...

A) I'm the only McGwire fan so far
B) 10
C) 1964
D) 1992 Topps Gold Gwynn

Dawgbones said...

It's a toss up between Kirby Puckett and Darren Daulton for my favorite...
I'd say you added 17 new Gwynns, the oldest card was a 1964, and the Iwakuma was on your top 10.